123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Constantly Losing AirPort Connection with Leopard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomas.mascaro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Constantly Losing AirPort Connection with Leopard Reply with quote

Hi Everyone - I don't know if anyone else is having this problem or knows of a solution. I installed Leopard the week that it came out and almost every day when my Mac mini wakes up from sleep mode I have no internet connection. I restart and nothing. I am set up on a network with AirPort Express. I have it marked as a closed network. Security is set as WPA Personal and it is listed as my Preferred Network. This is also the first network I have set up so perhaps my settings are wrong. This is extremely frustrating. Can someone please help me? Thanks much.
Halfbuiltrobot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Constantly Losing AirPort Connection with Leopard Reply with quote

thomas.mascaro wrote:
Hi Everyone - I don't know if anyone else is having this problem or knows of a solution. I installed Leopard the week that it came out and almost every day when my Mac mini wakes up from sleep mode I have no internet connection. I restart and nothing. I am set up on a network with AirPort Express. I have it marked as a closed network. Security is set as WPA Personal and it is listed as my Preferred Network. This is also the first network I have set up so perhaps my settings are wrong. This is extremely frustrating. Can someone please help me? Thanks much.

Did you set up with the airport utility?

http://www.wildimaging.com/
thomas.mascaro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did set up my the utility and do every time. Sad
Pokey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: renew Reply with quote

Have you tried renewing the lease? Seems to fix mine without needing a boot (although I haven't tried it on Leopard, I just got the CD).

sudo ifconfig en1 down
ifconfig en1 up
Pokey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to followup on my post, I've had Leopard for a few days now and today I lost my internet connection via Airport.

I was able to renew the lease thru the Terminal command I mentioned and was back online.
DoLoop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a problem quite a number of people are reporting, mostly with macbooks and minis. Maybe similar chipsets... But Apple doesn't seem too interested in coming up with a fix. I've tried everything I've been able to find on the web, but nothing seems to work permanently. PITA. My WiFi network is WPA, non-broadcast SSID, MAC-filtered and I'm not changing it to accommodate one silly computer.

I have 2 PC's, 2 iPhones, and an iBook G4 hitting my wireless network with no problems. Only my Mini has the issue. Additionally, my Mini is a little deaf compared to the others. This is made worse, by the way, by ripping CD's. The signal meter will fall off to a single dot, occasionally sweep up to full strength, then waver in between, but mostly it just sits at one dot and is unable to hit Gracenote for CD info. I don't know if using a USB WiFi adapter will solve anything, and I'm a little irritated at having to waste that money even if it is a good workaround. When not ripping CD's, once I have reconnected things are pretty good until its DHCP lease expires.

Maybe this will be fixed in 10.6.0. Smile
wonderama

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem, but it was alleviated somewhat by using the Airport Utility to change the security setting to WPA/WPA2 from the default of WEP. Much stronger signal for some reason.

Now the only problem I have (a question I also asked in a new post) is that whenever I attach the mini to peripherals such as an external drive or the mic jack to a small stereo system, it seems to interfere with the Airport (Extreme Dome) reception.

Anyone have similar problems? Thanks.

--Jeff
vtdarryl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Still not fixed Reply with quote

Lots of people having the problem - http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6136730#6136730

I have some traces in with Apple, no response back yet (it is holiday times though). I'll follow up in early Jan, but probably wait and see if 10.5.2 fixes it. Until then my mac mini HTPC needs to run 24x7.

Daz
wonderama

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called Apple support. They had me:

Shut down computer for a minute or so.

Go to the System Preferences window and click Network. Under Airport tab, pulldown the "Location" menu, select Edit Locations, click plus sign to add new entry, name it what you want, then press Done, make sure your new entry shows in the Location pulldown, press Apply button and close out.

Shut down Airport and router for a minute or so. Restart.

I've consistently had a good signal since then. Don't know how long it will last, but so far so good.

Right now, I also have a firewire drive and stereo mic running and the signal seems fine. Previously I had problems when peripherals were plugged into the mini; it seemed to degrade the Airport signal.

--Jeff
wonderama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, just had my first freeze-out after about a week. Had to repeat the above steps and it works again. Argh! Can't wait for an OS update for Leopard to fix this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: