123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Set@home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leftplay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Set@home Reply with quote

How long does it take for your Mini to finish a work pack?

My Mini usually finished a work pack in 3 to 3.5 hours. My 1.4Ghz Celeron M laptop does it between 2.5 to 3 hours.
spoonman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Set@home Reply with quote

leftplay wrote:
How long does it take for your Mini to finish a work pack?

My Mini usually finished a work pack in 3 to 3.5 hours. My 1.4Ghz Celeron M laptop does it between 2.5 to 3 hours.

I personally haven't played with Seti@home yet... I do however participate in the climateprediction.net project. I haven't run it on my mini yet since it would make the fan run at high speed ALL the time...... I do run it on my powerbook and I used to run it on my PC, which was noisy all the time anyway.... Laughing

My question for you is, does using the SETI@home heat up your mini, making the fan run all the time???

Thanks!
Combo optical drive
Airport Extreme/Bluetooth
External 16X DVD+R,-R (Sony DRU-810A) in an ADS FW enclosure
NewerTech MiniStack w/ Seagate 7200.8 250GB HD.
leftplay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the fan does kick in when it's crunching the numbers but I don't mind. I don't have the Mini on the desktop so sound is not an issue. As for heat, it does heat up a bit, (reason why fan kicks in) but nothing that would make me worry. Computers are meant to be used and I try not too worry about things like, "oh the fan being on all the time will shorten its life" type of thinking.

Over all I've been happy with my Mini but I really find the G4 really lacking in horsepower. I can't wait for the Intel Mini's to come out - then the beautiful form factor of the Mini can really use a chip that's both cool and powerful, (Celeron M or Pent M).
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leftplay wrote:
Yes the fan does kick in when it's crunching the numbers but I don't mind. I don't have the Mini on the desktop so sound is not an issue. As for heat, it does heat up a bit, (reason why fan kicks in) but nothing that would make me worry. Computers are meant to be used and I try not too worry about things like, "oh the fan being on all the time will shorten its life" type of thinking.

Isn't said enough.

leftplay wrote:
Over all I've been happy with my Mini but I really find the G4 really lacking in horsepower. I can't wait for the Intel Mini's to come out - then the beautiful form factor of the Mini can really use a chip that's both cool and powerful, (Celeron M or Pent M).

I know you didn't just suggest a celly in a Mac. If I knew where you lived....Evil or Very Mad
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: