123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

instability becoming an issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mschenck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: instability becoming an issue Reply with quote

I'm a fairly hardcore Unix guy, so I guess I'm a switcher in this case.... I expect fair good stability out of a Unix computer, which my Mini (OS X) is. I have a 1.42 ghz mini running 10.3.... 1 gig of ram and a 60 gig 5400RPM harddrive.

My problem is simple. This computer locks on me almost every other day, Whether I'm coding in Xcode and running iTunes, then random lock. Or my girlfriend is using iChat and browsing ebay, it just happens. This is a 24 hour on computer, so the hard drive swap might be a heat issue, however other issue have occured like, she can't even open her log files for iChat otherwise the whole computer locks, however if I use my iChat I can open my log files with out issues.

I have been very pleased with my switch to Mac, which is why I've shifted my development efforts to OS X, however these instability issues are becoming very disappointing.

Any advice will be appriciated, however I must say, I'm not just going to buy Tiger and load that on, unless I know it will solve problems.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you swap the RAM yourself? That would be my first guess.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
Did you swap the RAM yourself? That would be my first guess.

Concurrence. Random locks = overheating or RAM. Since the Mini takes care of its own heat, RAM is probably the issue, especially if errors make no sense. I wouldn't imagine overheating happening merely by adding a 5400rpm, especially if you're not doing very CPU intensive work.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: