123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wireless router help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnthroPC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Wireless router help! Reply with quote

Okay, I am severely annoyed with the BT HomeHub now. It keeps dropping the wireless signal randomly. I mean it'll be working fine for about an hour then suddenly wham the network has been dropped and even though the Mac (and the other PCs in the house too) can see the HomeHub, as soon as you try to do anything like, oh I don't know, connect or something, it goes nuts, I get an error message saying "There was an error connecting to (homehub ID)" and then it stops broadcasting its name for about five minutes, before returning and restarting the loop all over again.

However, no matter what the wireless is doing, if you're connected through ethernet the connection doesn't even falter.

This brings me to my question; considering that I am limited to brands available in the UK and limited to roughly £75 ($130), what is the best wireless router available that I can connect through my homehub that'll offer a really strong signal through the walls of my house, and be both Mac and PC compatible?

Thanks in advance;
Will

>> WEBSITE! <<>> TOONS! <<
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a NetGear DG834G for about 3 years now and it has always been fine.
If you don't need the built in modem, check out the WNR series from Netgear. These days you get "N" and Gigabit
Mac SE 8Mhz, 2MB, 40GB Seagate, 6.07
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been using the Airport Express for almost 2 years, no problems. I connect 4 Macs and 1 PC. None of the machines have dropped signal and I print wirelessly with all 5 machines. . .

My 2 cents. . .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lloyd1450

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am considering a new wireless router...

But one thing i am unsure about is that our current router does the modem aswell, ie. the phone line plugs into it. Then ethernet ports into the back aswell.
But if i were to get the Airport Express how would this then work? do i need a modem but then i can just use ethernet to plug the airport express in then i am sorted?

thanks

Lloyd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: