123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding Pioneer DVR-K05 Superdrive - working???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fullroast

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Adding Pioneer DVR-K05 Superdrive - working??? Reply with quote

I added a Pioneer DVR-K05 DVD burner to my Mac mini yesterday. The physical installation went fine. When I look at "Disc Burning" in the System Profiler I get the following:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K05:

Firmware Revision: 1.03
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Unsupported)
Profile Path: None
Cache: 2000 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: No

I was a little surprised by the "Burn Support: Yes (Unsupported)" line, but I proceeded to test the drive. I probably should have started out with a simpler test, but I captured some video using iMovie and created a project with iDVD. Everything went smoothly up through the process of creating a DVD with iDVD - until the "Burn" step. iDVD has been "burning" for the last 8 hours and there has been no progress shown on the progress bar.

I went to Library->Logs->DiscRecording.log and saw that iDVD did appear to start the process:

iDVD: Burn started, Tue Aug 9 23:38:12 2005
iDVD: Burning to DVD-R media with DAO strategy in PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K05 1.03 with generic profile via ATAPI.
iDVD: Requested burn speed was 1x, actual burn speed is 1x.
iDVD: Burn underrun protection is supported, and enabled.

The 1x burn speed confused me at first, but then I remembered that I am using a disc from some I bought a few years ago that are usable, but probably not more than 1x.

One other point, this is the second time I have tried burning with iDVD since the drive was installed, same project. After seeing no progress for two hours, I tried to cancel iDVD, waited another hour while it was "Cleaning up" and finally killed the process. The DVD that was being burned actually was recognized by the DVD player and showed the menu. Selecting a scene gave an error, but that was no surprise, since I bailed out of the burn early.

Sorry for the long post!

- Do the stats from the System Profiler look right?
- Should burning from iDVD really take this long and show no progress on the progress bar?

I'll keep waiting on iDVD while I am at work today and I'll buy some new DVD media on the way home. Maybe there will be some progress in the meantime.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your questions I would say yes and then no. Even burning at 1x, you should finish an SL DVD in 53 minutes if it's actually burning at a constant 1x (never happens). I would say that 2 hours would be too long for the disc. With burners sometimes crazy stuff can happen if the drive doesn't like some discs. I would recommend going out and buying a couple different discs, just a couple different singles in jewel cases. Try burning on all of them and see if any work.

Also, have you tried using Patchburn. I thought that this drive was supported natively in OS X, but I guess I'm wrong. Maybe Patchburn could help you out. link. I would try a few different discs first since you said that these DVDs were really old and then try Patchburn. That "(unsupported)" thing might be a problem.

I know TheModWiki.org here has a DVR-K05 in his Mini, so hopefully he can chime in.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
fullroast

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - using newer DVD media got past the "no burning" issue. I picked up some FujiFilm 8x DVD-R and was able to burn the iDVD project successfully. It looks like the burn speed was still 1X. I 'll look around to see if I can tweak something so that iDVD burns faster.

I was hoping to hear from TheModWiki.org, too. Hopefully someone that has installed a Pioneer DVR-K05 will share what the System Profiler has to say about their drive.

I did try zapping the PRAM (never heard of that before - newbie Smile) as suggested somewhere, but the Burn Support still is listed as "Yes (Unsupported)". I also read about Patchburn, but I haven't tried it, yet. I thought I read that it was not necessary for Tiger, and one person did use it, but stated that it did not appear to do much except change the string from "unsupported" to something provided by Patchhburn.
TheModWiki.org

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, sorry i've been busy packing up ... move back to school tomorrow

yeah my system profiler says unsupported as well.... but that is only in terms of OS X's built in burning engine... i use toast which has a different burning engine so i've got no problems

if i used the built in burning engine, I'd probably have looked for a way to fix this issue but I can't say that I do

but other than that it works fine...

on an unrelated note, I really wish that Nero would make burning software for mac...I hate roxio
Maxtor 300GB Ext. FW
Pioneer DVR-K05 SD

www.PaulStamatiou.com , 9rules Network
chillywilly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fullroast wrote:
OK - using newer DVD media got past the "no burning" issue. I picked up some FujiFilm 8x DVD-R and was able to burn the iDVD project successfully. It looks like the burn speed was still 1X. I 'll look around to see if I can tweak something so that iDVD burns faster.

Any updates to this issue? Also, if you are using iDVD, is there a way to save the project as an image and use Disk Utility to burn it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: