123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Headphones
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnthroPC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Headphones Reply with quote

Okay people, my old headphones (TDK MP100 noise canceling ... man they were good) died and went to the great moshpit in the sky.

So I have a quest for you all. Find me some headphones that fit the following criteria and the winning submission gets a cartoon drawn specially from them* (see my other cartoons on my website)

CRITERIA:
MUST BE:
Priced up to £35 ($70) allowing up to £10 ($20) for postage.
Of the headphone variety, not earphone.
Of the around-ear variety, not on ear-or in-ear.
Coloured black preferably, minimal silver permissible.
Have excellent bass and treble response (playing rock and metal, loudly)
> probably looking in the range of 10 to 22k Hz
Not draw too much power but still have rich sound and volume capability
Look decent.

MUST NOT BE:
DJ-style headphones (swivelly)
Stupidly huge (like some of the mid-range Sennheisers... they look ugly)
Unable to plug into iPod (duh)
Extremely power hungry
Muffled, dull or generally cr*p.

Have fun people!

* winning applicant will be PM'd with the option of choosing the cartoon subject, and then have the complete cartoon as well as a certificate of authentication sent to them via 1st class post (A4 envelope, usual delivery UK 1-3 days, International between a week and a few thousand years).

>> WEBSITE! <<>> TOONS! <<
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'd really like a toon, I'm not sure your leaving your/our options open...ummm....errr.... at all. Those are some pretty strict requirements. . .

Don't let anyone ever tell you, you don't know what you want!! he he
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Headphones Reply with quote

AnthroPC wrote:

Anything wrong with the PX100s or PX200s? I've been totally happy with my PX100s over the last year or so. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better pair of headphones for under $70. And the PX200s fall into the response level you are look for. They go 10-21,000 Hz.
AnthroPC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Headphones Reply with quote

devo wrote:
AnthroPC wrote:

Anything wrong with the PX100s or PX200s? I've been totally happy with my PX100s over the last year or so. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better pair of headphones for under $70. And the PX200s fall into the response level you are look for. They go 10-21,000 Hz.

They sit on ear though which is bad if you've god as bas circulation as me... ears loose blood and eventually fall off (well okay they've never actually fallen off but they've gone numb for hours) - which is why I definitely want a set that fits around my ears.

HM - they're strict requirements because I pretty much want a find a set of headphones exactly the same as the TDKs only without the rubbish jack that fell to pieces on me.

herbg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at Koss. The UR20 and UR29 are pretty good and not expensive. The Sennheiser HD205 aren't that ugly. How about the beyerdynamic DT 231.

Also: Audio Technica ATH M30

Herb
barnz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say, I still haven't heard anything better for the dosh than the Grado SR60.

There are going to be drawbacks to every loudspeaker (and by extension headphone) design. You will need to pick your top priorities and find the product that best matches them. What is practically perfect for you may be pretty mediocre for someone else, but that's their problem. The main drawback to the the Grados (if we're not counting the retro-styling as a drawback) is the open-ear design. I have noise cancelling headphones to use on airplanes and when in bed with a sleeping spouse. But the Grados definately sound the best.

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/73611

http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm
herbg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree Barnz, the SR60's are my all time favorite. My main cans are the SR60 and Etymotic ER-6i. The thing with the SR60's is that it doesn't meet the OP's criteria. They are open backed and on the ear type. He is looking for closed headphones.
barnz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herbg wrote:
The thing with the SR60's is that it doesn't meet the OP's criteria...

Understood, but I think he needs to consider some choices that are actually available - I'm not sure anything will meet all of the requirements...like most consumer decisions, determining priorities is more valuable than having everything be an essential requirement.
herbg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnz wrote:
Understood, but I think he needs to consider some choices that are actually available - I'm not sure anything will meet all of the requirements...like most consumer decisions, determining priorities is more valuable than having everything be an essential requirement.

So true!
AnthroPC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I can prioritise I suppose...

1) SOUND
2) COMFORT (around ear! stop suggesting on-ear headphones!)
3) POWER
4) AESTHETICS

hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these for traveling and around the house. I think they sound great and they fit OVER your ear.

Panasonic RPHC300

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AnthroPC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone just thought I'd say that I found some in the end. They're called Skullcrushers and they're made by Skullcandy.

They look freakin awesome

And they come in black! Twisted Evil

And thank you for your help too... PM me if you want a toon drawing.

Cheers,
Will Cool

Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you actually listened to the Skullcrushers? I can't say that I've been impressed in the slightest with any of skull candy's offerings. They seem to offer a lot of flash, without much substance. I have not listened to Skullcrushers specifically though, as I'm generally interested in IEMs.

As someone on head-fi posted:
Quote:
I've heard the Skullcandy Skullcrushers (a friend got them as a gift). They're completely unremarkable in everything but the ridiculously overemphasized, servo-assisted bass. It's not good, articulate bass, just incredibly boomy and vibrating.

The rest of it, as said, is unremarkable if not necessarily offensive. I'd rate the overall sound on par with, say, HD212.

herbg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's up to personal preference...but Clunk has a point. I've heard skullcandy's before and they were all bloated bass...like 1 note 808 bass. I guess it all depends on what your point of reference is.

Herb

ClunkClunk wrote:
Have you actually listened to the Skullcrushers? I can't say that I've been impressed in the slightest with any of skull candy's offerings. They seem to offer a lot of flash, without much substance. I have not listened to Skullcrushers specifically though, as I'm generally interested in IEMs.

As someone on head-fi posted:
Quote:
I've heard the Skullcandy Skullcrushers (a friend got them as a gift). They're completely unremarkable in everything but the ridiculously overemphasized, servo-assisted bass. It's not good, articulate bass, just incredibly boomy and vibrating.

The rest of it, as said, is unremarkable if not necessarily offensive. I'd rate the overall sound on par with, say, HD212.

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Younger people tend to like Skull Candy products. Much of the music that younger people listen to today has very heavy bass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPods All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: