123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.5.1 Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iBling

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:

Preview still crashes.

Mine still crashes after doing color adjustments on a picture and trying to save, but that is the only time. I think this is because Leopard doesn't like the metadata they use. It could also have something to do with the GMA 950. The slowness that I was talking about seems to have been fixed with a simple restart. I'm starting to feel a bit like a beta tester here. I know people are saying Leopard feels rushed, but Apple had a lot of time to work on this. Neutral

Last edited by iBling on Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
TalkenRain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feels just a tad bit slower Confused
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My update went fine. No major problems to report.

iBling wrote:
macmanmacman wrote:

Preview still crashes.

Mine still crashes after doing color adjustments on a picture and trying to save, but that is the only time. I think this is because Leopard doesn't like the metadata they use. It could also have something to do with the GMA 950. The slowness that I was talking about seems to have been fixed with a simple restart. I'm starting to feel a bit like a beta tester here. I know people are saying Leopard feels rushed, but Apple had a lot of time to work on this. Neutral

I can make color adjustments to a picture and save it without issue. But once the picture is saved, Preview will not let me make another adjustment and save it again without crashing. It will let me make changes to the size though. I didn't notice this before.
Jeffy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was unable to use my Tiger clone for some reason with 10.5.0. It wouldn't even show up in Startup Disk. I tried just about everything under the sun to get it working, but never got it going. Guess what? It works perfectly with 10.5.1. I guess that's good enough for me at this point.
milo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That worked on both a G4 and Core2 Duo. But, on the latter it went through the preview "movie" and registration process again after the update.
zen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
I can repair my permissions again, but it still goes really slow.

Repairing permissions is the biggest placebo task in all of OS X. It will harm things more than it fixes them.

Why so many mac people do it is beyond my understanding.

My 10.5.1 experience is fine so far BTW..
G-Creations

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, no problems with 10.5.1 here on my Mac Mini! The update went fine!
Iomega MiniMax - 250 GB
Iomega MiniMax - 320 GB
Lacie FW - 40 GB
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen wrote:
Weee wrote:
I can repair my permissions again, but it still goes really slow.

Repairing permissions is the biggest placebo task in all of OS X. It will harm things more than it fixes them.

It's helped me a few times in the past, but I wouldn't consider it something that needs to be done all the time.

All good with 10.5.1 here! Smile
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen wrote:

Placebo perhaps, but harm more things? Do you have any evidence of this?
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
So when is 10.5.2 coming? Wink

I was interested in finding out how long it took Tiger to move to 10.4.2. It took almost two months. 10.4.1 came out on May 16th, 2005 and 10.4.2 on July 12th, 2005. That doesn't mean it will be the same this time around, but I was just interested. I wonder what the average time between all of the Tiger updates was? Does anyone know that one off hand? I'm not that ambitious to do the math. Laughing
zen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
zen wrote:

Placebo perhaps, but harm more things? Do you have any evidence of this?

It won't really harm anything at the OS level. It can harm app installs that modify things in the kernel to run properly. Once you repair permissions it can often change things back to the way it was before you installed it rendering the app either useless or not fully functional.

The best thing people can do to their mac is leave it alone and let the magic of Unix take care of all the maintenance itself.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just setup my new MacBook for the first time. After the setup process was over, I was left with the Leopard desktop (i.e. nothing running other than background processes) but the internal fan kept going faster and faster. I sparked up Activity Monitor and a process called "mds" was eating up big chunks of ram and using as much as 44% of processor capacity.

I called the Apple dealer and he recommended installing the 10.5.1 update. I've done so, and now (touch wood) everything is as it should be - about 3% load on the CPU and 56% of memory free. Phew! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: