123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VMware Releases Fusion 1.1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: VMware Releases Fusion 1.1 Reply with quote

VMware Releases Fusion 1.1
Monday, November 12, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

VMware today announced the release of VMware Fusion 1.1, a new update to its virtualization software for Intel-based Macs. VMware Fusion allows Mac users to simultaneously and seamlessly run Mac OS X, Windows and other PC-based applications on the same Mac. The free update is immediately available for all VMware Fusion 1.0 customers and includes over 25 enhancements and improvements, including, support for Mac OS X Leopard, improved 3D graphics with experimental support for DirectX 9.0, improvements to VMware Fusion's Unity feature, support for Microsoft Vista Boot Camp partitions as virtual machines, and overall performance improvements.

VMware also introduced VMware Importer for VMware Fusion. Currently in beta, VMware Importer allows VMware Fusion customers to easily and quickly import virtual machines created by third-party Mac virtualization software.

"Many of our VMware Fusion customers have asked for help using virtual machines created with third party software," continued Chu. "With VMware Importer, customers that have other, third-party Mac virtualization products can easily and seamlessly migrate existing virtual machines over to VMware Fusion to take advantage of our intuitive user interface and stable, advanced, high performance virtualization platform."

VMware Fusion 1.1 requires Mac OS X 10.4.9 or later. The download weighs in at 172MB.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/806.html
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was already using their 1.1 beta on my Mac mini and it runs flawlessly (as far as I could tell) with Leopard. I have Win Pro 2000 and Ubuntu Linux virtual disks running. I don't know if there are further improvements, but I will download and use the current one. One other thing VMware has provided anew is a converter for virtual machines made with other products (notably Parallels). That might be useful to me; I use Parallels on my office Mac.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fox, which solution is better in your opinion? Soon I will have Leopard and than I will make bootspace for Windows and if possible also for one or the other Linux "taste"(is that possible anyway, triple or more boot?) As soon as I have installed the stuff in their boot space, I will install Paralells, or would you recommend VM Ware?
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Fusion for the speed factor, but I would give them both a try James. Just start with a Boot Camp partition and go from there.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
I prefer Fusion for the speed factor, but I would give them both a try James. Just start with a Boot Camp partition and go from there.

I was wondering if Beryl works in several Linux distro's virtual or is the Intel Core2Duo Mini videocard insufficient for doing that? It supports Core Image on the Mac, I've seen that.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool...

Does this mean i can use my vista upgrade.

Because in 1.0 they wouldn't allow vista home edition at all.

But parallels let me use it.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
Hi Fox, which solution is better in your opinion? Soon I will have Leopard and than I will make bootspace for Windows and if possible also for one or the other Linux "taste"(is that possible anyway, triple or more boot?) As soon as I have installed the stuff in their boot space, I will install Paralells, or would you recommend VM Ware?

Tough call, James T.; both work very well, with both Windows and Linux. Parallels is a bit more user friendly; VMware less resource intensive. Both seem equally fast, although testers report that VMware is faster. What you might do is download the evaluation version of each and try it with your favourite distro. I do know that Parallels is slightly behind in its support for Ubuntu and Suse, but not by much. They list the versions that their Parallels Tools work with and in both cases, they are 1 version behind (Ubuntu 7.04 and Suse 10.2). Getting the tools packages working with Linux is a bit of a challenge, whereas with Windows, tools install is easy and automatic.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to add to my previous post, based on yesterday's experience with VMware Fusion and SUSE Linux. Both Fusion and Parallels are behind in the versions of Linux that they support. I was able to overcome this with the current version of Ubuntu on Fusion, but not with SUSE. Parallels states that it supports 10.2 (current version is 10.3), but VMware Fusion doesn't support openSUSE at all (it does support SUSE 10.1). I didn't know that and I wasted hours downloading openSUSE 10.3 and attempting to install it several times on VMware. Bottom line: if Linux matters to you, check the websites of both products to see which versions of Linux they support before buying either. You may be able to find ways around what they officially support - e.g. I did get Ubuntu 7.10 running on Fusion, but be prepared to muck about to make it work and expect failures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: