123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WoW - New MacBooks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnthroPC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: WoW - New MacBooks Reply with quote

Okay... I'm in a situation whereby just about all my computing friends are on WoW. What I would like to know is, would WoW run (well) on the newly updated MacBook line, with the 2.2GHz chip and a post-buy third party upgrade to 4GB RAM?

Thanks for your help - only ever played Sims 2 on a Mac since I stopped using OS 8, and I have it running quite happily on my 1.66GHz Mac Mini...

>> WEBSITE! <<>> TOONS! <<
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend the memory upgrade even if you are not going to run wow.

My only concern is are you running the intel graphics chipset or the ati or nvidia chipset.

The reason i ask is the intel chipset all though will run wow you will be stuck at a resolution at 800x600 to 640x480 and with leopard boot camp has some issues with higher screen resolution.

My recommendation would be run wow under mac os x and make sure you have plenty of hard drive space some updates in wow have been clocked at 33.6 gigs and better.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: WoW - New MacBooks Reply with quote

AnthroPC wrote:
Okay... I'm in a situation whereby just about all my computing friends are on WoW. What I would like to know is, would WoW run (well) on the newly updated MacBook line, with the 2.2GHz chip and a post-buy third party upgrade to 4GB RAM?

Thanks for your help - only ever played Sims 2 on a Mac since I stopped using OS 8, and I have it running quite happily on my 1.66GHz Mac Mini...

If it can run on your mini it should run on the MacBook, the only concern is that Apple may have underclocked the GPU so it saves battery life, but it ran fine on the previous MacBooks so with the newer GMA X3100 most concerns are gone, only one I can see is battery life will no doubt go dramatically down.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
AnthroPC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
The reason i ask is the intel chipset all though will run wow you will be stuck at a resolution at 800x600 to 640x480 and with leopard boot camp has some issues with higher screen resolution.

Really? Confused how comes it gets locked to 800x600? That hasn't been the Apple default resolution since like the old G3 iMacs...

macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Leopard boot camp driver's are not 100% bug free. If you choose to run it under windows using boot camp a simple fix is go to www.intel.com and download there drivers for the gma x3100 series chipset there drivers are bug free and will do better then apple's driver's.
AnthroPC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right. No I wouldn't be running it under Windows, considering I do have a Windows laptop that I could use if I chose to, I just don't want to - also mainly because it has developed a tendency to catch fire every so often. Its already toasted five RAM cards Laughing

I've been reading into it a bit last night though, it seems that this upgrade the GMA X3100 really does open up the MacBook to gamers finally - technically it should be able to run Command and Conquer Generals, and even the new Tiberium Wars, without too much of a fuss, nor too much of a slow down (if any).

Shock horror though - does that mean that Apple listened to all our complaints about not being able to play games on the cheaper consumer machines? Shocked

macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely.

I think apple is finally starting to figure out people don't want to pay 1,000 doller's for a top of the line mac when they can get a striped down mac mini or refurbished macbook for a lot less.
ducko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, bit late, but I ran it on my Macbook, with 2GB no problemo.

In fact running it now on my Mini, with no issues.

Hope this helps. Mini also has 2GB.
Mac Mini 1.83, 2GB Ram, 160GB Drive,Iomega 250GB Drive, 22" Mirai TFT,Apple Wireless KB and Mouse,80GB Video iPod (Black),4GB iPod Nano (Black)
gos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducko wrote:
In fact running it now on my Mini, with no issues.

It runs on the mini, but I wouldn't say it runs well.

I have the 1.86GHz C2D upgraded to 2GB RAM, and in shattrath with all video options at their minimum, I get 3-5 fps if not staring at a wall. Less than 1 fps with all video options at maximum.

The minis are really limited by their video hardware, though this latest patch to enable interface threading should be interesting.

I have yet to see benchmarks of the new X3100 or whatever it's called video subsystem in WoW.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barefeats did some testing and it appears the X3100 is better than the GMA 950, but still pales in comparison to a MacBook Pro.
http://www.barefeats.com/mbook2.html
http://www.barefeats.com/mbook.html
aj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, it's all worth knowing when trying to decide on which system to purchase next.
ducko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gos wrote:

It runs on the mini, but I wouldn't say it runs well.

I have the 1.86GHz C2D upgraded to 2GB RAM, and in shattrath with all video options at their minimum, I get 3-5 fps if not staring at a wall. Less than 1 fps with all video options at maximum.

The minis are really limited by their video hardware, though this latest patch to enable interface threading should be interesting.

I have yet to see benchmarks of the new X3100 or whatever it's called video subsystem in WoW.

Another reason to justify why I need an MBP then. Having only ever seen it on my Macbook and Mini I had nothing to compare it to. Sounds like an MBP would do the job very well.
Mac Mini 1.83, 2GB Ram, 160GB Drive,Iomega 250GB Drive, 22" Mirai TFT,Apple Wireless KB and Mouse,80GB Video iPod (Black),4GB iPod Nano (Black)
Maxime

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed WoW when I first got my Mini and I was getting 18-20 fps with the setting at minimum.
ducko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I check my fps in WoW?
aj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducko wrote:
How can I check my fps in WoW?

ctrl+r shows your FPS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: