123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates MacBook and MacBook Pro
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
I'm glad you can now custom order MacBooks and MacBook Pros with 250GB drives Smile Still too pricey, but at least it's an option.

Considering how easy it is to do it yourself, I never would leave it to Apple to do that. I own a Powerbook 1.33 and a very slow HD (4200 rpm), I wish I could swap that one easily! One has to take the whole thing apart! Sad
islandsnow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at the apple store for the macbook pro's, how can you tell they are using the santa rosa chipset? and why are all these sites that mention apple upgrading the macbook line show the macbook specs, and not the macbook pro? and i don't see gmax3100 listed, it all says nvidia geforce.
Colstan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

islandsnow wrote:
looking at the apple store for the macbook pro's, how can you tell they are using the santa rosa chipset? and why are all these sites that mention apple upgrading the macbook line show the macbook specs, and not the macbook pro? and i don't see gmax3100 listed, it all says nvidia geforce.

1. Santa Rosa chipset uses an 800Mhz FSB. You can tell by looking at the Core 2 Duo frequencies (2.2, 2.4, 2.6) which are based upon the multiplier they use.

2. The new MBP options aren't a major spec change like the MacBook.

3. The GMA X3100 is an integrated graphics chipset for "low end" computers like the MacBook. The MBP uses discrete graphics from Nvidia.

Colstan
minutePulsations

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is perfect timing Razz

a friend of mine has been bugging me to sell my macbook to him for a couple weeks so I told him yes today... why not Razz an extra $100 in by me and I have the new version... can't really go wrong considering my only qualm with my macbook is the gma950...
Jeffy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Apple would come out with smaller MacBook Pro. I really like my 15", but it isn't the easiest or lightest thing to tote around.
minutePulsations

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could someone on here with a new macbook do me a MONSTER favor and run xbench on it? I'm mostly curious to see the difference in video performance... or geekbench... whichever... 2.0 is prefered but I'd settle for 2.2 Very Happy

thanks
islandsnow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffy wrote:
I wish Apple would come out with smaller MacBook Pro. I really like my 15", but it isn't the easiest or lightest thing to tote around.

yeah i second that... i wish there was a macbook pro that was the size of macbook
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
Considering how easy it is to do it yourself, I never would leave it to Apple to do that. I own a Powerbook 1.33 and a very slow HD (4200 rpm), I wish I could swap that one easily! One has to take the whole thing apart! Sad

On a MacBook, yes, it's super easy. 3 minutes and a Philips #0 screwdriver.

On a MacBook Pro, it's more like your PowerBook. Probably at least 45 minutes each way.

The ultimate worst portable Macs for hard drive replacement, in my opinion, are the 12" PowerBook G4s.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:

On a MacBook Pro, it's more like your PowerBook. Probably at least 45 minutes each way.

Been there, done that. This design really needs to be updated to something like the MacBook. This also includes 95% of the other notebooks being sold out there. The access to the hard drive is just horrible in comparison. In my eyes, this is way overdue.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see the benchmarks for the GMA X3100. My gut tells me that it's going to disappoint, but you never know.
eq2675

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I've noticed 2 things with my new black Macbook

The internal speaker volume seems just fine and rather loud when moved to max.

The Leopard retail version that I installed on my 1.66 Core Duo Mini last Friday is Build 9A581

The Build number on the Macbook with 2.2 Core 2 Duo is 9A3110
fouadbakht

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel, if there is no such thing as Mac Mini discontinuation, chances are that the Mini may receivce a similar update somewhere in December. But who knows?

BTW, why have been two important Apple products (MacBook/MBP) updated so quietly/mysteriously? Specially for the MacBook, its not a small speed bump. The Mini was updated quietly too. Can anyone comment?
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quiet updates are common when the change is minor. To most non-geeks, a faster system bus and a processor bump is a minor change on the MacBook.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:

The ultimate worst portable Macs for hard drive replacement, in my opinion, are the 12" PowerBook G4s.

I thought the MBP had the same benefits as the MB for swapping the HD. I have such a PB 12" G4....
Texark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Apple should make a big deal out of every little product release. That really wouldn't be good from a PR standpoint. Plus, they are trailing a little behind Dell and HP when it comes to adopting the latest and greatest from Intel. I've said for a long time that Apple should go to more of a build-to-order model like Dell. I would be more than willing to pay for the options that I want. This waiting around for months and months for little bumps is almost laughable. It would also put an end to the "when should I buy" game that seems to plague Mac sales. They just need to keep their pricing realistic. Not like the $850 they are charging for 4GB of RAM in the MacBook. Shocked

Last edited by Texark on Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: