123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Review: Belkin Hub for Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
resuna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Micro-review of Mini Hub Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:
The FireWire and USB port on the front are it's nicest feature, plugging my iPod or memory stick in the back was barbaric.

My daughter's iPod plugs into her dock. My Clie plugs into its dock. They had to either plug in to a dangling hub or trail over my desk to the keyboard.

I needed more ports at the back for stuff like that, and the UPS, and my USB floppy drive, so they didn't have to plug into "Mister Danglehub" or snake over my desk.
Quote:
How many fireWire devices do you have? Don't any of them have an extra port?

All but one of them are standard enclosures and have a pass-through port, but the last one in that chain isn't on all the time - and for some reason its passthrough doesn't work when it's not on - so I can't plug my webcam into that.
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Micro-review of Mini Hub Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
All but one of them are standard enclosures and have a pass-through port, but the last one in that chain isn't on all the time - and for some reason its passthrough doesn't work when it's not on - so I can't plug my webcam into that.

You have a lot hanging off your mini.

Have you tried swaping cables in the ports, I have a device that only works one way I f i awap the cables the passthrough does not work when the device is off. If not it must be a powered passthrough.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
resuna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Micro-review of Mini Hub Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:
You have a lot hanging off your mini.

I'm sure I could put some of it inside if it only had slots. Sad

(actually, that sounds like the Michelin ad: "you have a lot riding on your tires" Smile )
Quote:
Have you tried swaping cables in the ports, I have a device that only works one way I f i awap the cables the passthrough does not work when the device is off. If not it must be a powered passthrough.

I'll try that, but then I won't be using either of the the front ports at all. Rolling Eyes
castufari

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Micro-review of Mini Hub Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
Ugly: Firewire port on the front means I now have an ugly black cable permanently snaking out of the front of it.

Belkin makes white FW cables, so you'll never have to commit a fashion faux pas again! Very Happy
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Micro-review of Mini Hub Reply with quote

castufari wrote:
resuna wrote:
Ugly: Firewire port on the front means I now have an ugly black cable permanently snaking out of the front of it.

Belkin makes white FW cables, so you'll never have to commit a fashion faux pas again! Very Happy

Life was a lot simpler when everything was beige.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
resuna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Micro-review of Mini Hub Reply with quote

castufari wrote:
That would be nice if the cable wasn't permanently attached to the webcam.
castufari

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Micro-review of Mini Hub Reply with quote

resuna wrote:

That's lame.

My Belkin arrived today, it's not bad. MacMall used 1/2 of a forest to pack this thing! A huge box, enough peanuts to fill 1/2 of a trashcan, and a box that is maybe 6x8x1.5. I'd ship it in a padded envelope. Smile
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Micro-review of Mini Hub Reply with quote

castufari wrote:
resuna wrote:

That's lame.

My Belkin arrived today, it's not bad. MacMall used 1/2 of a forest to pack this thing! A huge box, enough peanuts to fill 1/2 of a trashcan, and a box that is maybe 6x8x1.5. I'd ship it in a padded envelope. Smile

I hate when companies do that. It's such a waste!
TeknoX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works great! Smile I can now hook up my Lacie Firewire HD and my iPod at the same time and all of my USB devices. Good price at MacMall, came to $37.50 with shipping. Now all I need is a switch for a Logitech wireless USB keyboard and mouse to share between my Mini and a pc.
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeknoX wrote:
Works great! Smile I can now hook up my Lacie Firewire HD and my iPod at the same time and all of my USB devices. Good price at MacMall, came to $37.50 with shipping. Now all I need is a switch for a Logitech wireless USB keyboard and mouse to share between my Mini and a pc.

If you are using VGA here is a thread on one i have had great success with.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
jo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Great but... Reply with quote

Hello!

I just joined, but know this forum for a while. I had a special interest in that HUB, because it is the right thing making your macmini complete. I was curios about the things mentioned in this forum about how many firewire adds this thing truly and so on... because the Hub arrived in Europe a month later this forum was a big help in getting infos as fast as possible. Finally - after 3 months Belkin announced this product - I could grab one: the firewire AND USB Hub... but as much as I like it I returned it, because when you plug in firewire and USB you hear a high frequency noise and as I plugged in my ipod shuffle, the green led started blinking and this high "beep" started to beep in ryhtm with the green led blinking...I know some would say: turn on your itunes! Of course, I did but I heard it anyway and this couldn't be a real solution. Plugged out firewire and let the usb in... ok (and the other way too) but both at the same time and then a puspowered device plugged in... forget it (in my case). Too bad, but I sent it back and ordered the only-usb-hub with external power. Firewire can stay in chain.
Maybe I had the problem, because my mini is running @1.6GHz, but I think not and that the usb-only-hub is the better product!

so long... keep up the good work here!

thx

jo
castaway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Great but... Reply with quote

jo wrote:
because when you plug in firewire and USB you hear a high frequency noise and as I plugged in my ipod shuffle, the green led started blinking and this high "beep" started to beep in ryhtm with the green led blinking

jo

Was the noise coming from the mini or hub?
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Great but... Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
jo wrote:
because when you plug in firewire and USB you hear a high frequency noise and as I plugged in my ipod shuffle, the green led started blinking and this high "beep" started to beep in ryhtm with the green led blinking

jo

Was the noise coming from the mini or hub?

I think he meant the iPod shuffle, but my brain was giving out after the third time re-reading it. i have connected my iPod mini to it without a hitch. I do not know what would beep inside the belkin hub.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for mine to ship from MacMall. Noise or no noise I need the ports! Laughing
iLife's a Bitch!
Ce

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my Belkin hub today. Because my Mini is in a very quiet room I immediately noticed a high frequency noise the moment I connected my Firewire cable. It is a very soft noise....but noticable. Removing the firewire cable was enough to stop this noise. Irritating because you don't expect a hub to make any noise at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: