123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NewerTech miniStack
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Gear Guide
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: NewerTech miniStack Reply with quote

Product: NewerTech miniStack
Category: Hard Drive Enclosures

Summary:
The sleek miniStack is designed to perfectly complement the size, shape and color of Apple's demure Mac mini. But owners of other Macs or PCs needn't feel left out. NewerTech's miniStack is compatible with any computer with an available FireWire or USB port. Each miniStack features a smart power switch so the drive turns on with your mini; a thermal probe that automatically regulates and varies fan speed according to the temperature; and provides an integrated 2-Port FireWire and 3-Port USB 2.0/1.1 hub for additional devices.

The dimensions of the miniStack are 6.5 inches x 6.5 inches x 1.5 inches. The miniStack line utilizes the latest Oxford911+ chipset in a custom FireWire/USB2 bridge for unrivaled performance and reliability. And, if one miniStack isn't enough, you can add more to your ‘stack’ for all the storage space and ports desired. [List Price: $99.95 - $499.99]

Zeibin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Seagate Barracuda drives that don't fit? Reply with quote

Does anyone know which Seagate Barracuda models do/don't fit in this enclosure? NewerTech says "some 7200.7 and 7200.8 drives" won't physically fit, but they don't say if it's the drive size or locations of connectors, or what have you.

Here's a full list of Seagate drives: http://www.seagate.com/products/details/0,,4,00.html

I can't see any difference in the dimensions of these drives to others at Western Digital or Maxtor...

Thanks!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823A in mine. It's a real tight, but it does fit in. The back of the ATA and power connectors are literally touching the inside wall of the miniStack. I think you should be all right with 7200.8. I can't vouch for 7200.7, but it's likely they will work.
agprimatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: miniStack and seagate Reply with quote

Josh from OWC told me that the Seagate 7200.8 drive would not fit.

devo, how'd you do it? Is the case bulged out? Or, maybe there are some 7200.8 drives that won't fit, but the ST3250823A is ok?

I have the drive already, but I was reluctant to buy the case if it didn't fit.
Texark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a Seagate ST3160021A 7200.7 in my miniStack. The power connector is right up against the plastic wall. The ATA cable has a little more room. I would guess around a 1/8 of an inch. The dimensions for most of the 7200.7 and 7200.8 drives are 146.99mm deep x 101.6mm wide. Devo's drive is the same size as mine. I'm not sure why OWC says 7200.7 and 7200.8 drives won't fit. They do!
stavrosbezas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am considering purchasing this but have a few concerns. I currently have two firewire enclosures attached to my Mini (one with a DVD-R burner and the other with a 300 gig HD). I had to play around with the way they were daisy chained in order for them to work properly. I was finding I would get time-outs and other problems. Things went well until I plugged my ipod in (power only) to be charged and it repeated the problem.

So in order to maintain the peace I am looking for a hub to add another enclosure and preferably power my ipod (but not necessary) without daisy chaining. My question is how does the hub in this product work? Does it just act as another enclosure and daisy chain like the others or is it a true hub that adds the number of connections?

I appreciate all responses!

Thanks,

R. Stavros Bezas
Texark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stavrosbezas wrote:

So in order to maintain the peace I am looking for a hub to add another enclosure and preferably power my ipod (but not necessary) without daisy chaining. My question is how does the hub in this product work? Does it just act as another enclosure and daisy chain like the others or is it a true hub that adds the number of connections?

I'm not sure that I completely understand your question. The firewire hub on the miniStack works good. I have a 3G iPod and iSight connected to mine with firewire, and compact card flash reader with USB. There is one thing I don't like about the hub. The miniStack has to be turned on for it to work. So I guess that doesn't make it completely daisy chainable.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: miniStack and seagate Reply with quote

agprimatic wrote:

devo, how'd you do it? Is the case bulged out? Or, maybe there are some 7200.8 drives that won't fit, but the ST3250823A is ok?

The case doesn't bulge out. My drive pretty much fits in like Texark's 7200.7. The 4 pin power cable is touching the inside wall of the miniStack. I started a thread when I was looking around for a drive for the miniStack and another poster (spoonman) said his 7200.8 fit. I was worried the drive wouldn't fit after ordering it. I'm not sure what model he had though.

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2042
stavrosbezas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:
stavrosbezas wrote:

I'm not sure that I completely understand your question. The firewire hub on the miniStack works good. I have a 3G iPod and iSight connected to mine with firewire, and compact card flash reader with USB. There is one thing I don't like about the hub. The miniStack has to be turned on for it to work. So I guess that doesn't make it completely daisy chainable.

Thanks for your response. I'm interested to see how it interacts with other external hard drives. I'm glad it works well with your other devices but just want to be sure how it will interact with the others. It seems that the enclosures I have use their firewire bus to pass through the extra connection on them, which seems to have negative effects. My question with the Ministack would be if it does something simliar or 'creates' 2 new firewire ports.
biophilia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: can the MiniStack be used as your primary processor? Reply with quote

I am a greenie on her first adventure with her beloved mac mini 1.25hz. I am using my mini for video editing and want to boost my computers speed and memory as much as possible on a ~$350USD budget (on top of the 1GB of RAM already in the mail). I have a couple of questions:

- Some folks have been talking about using their external HD as their primary drive and their internal as back up. Is this hard to do?
- Will the MiniStack's actually speed up my computer?

Cheers and thanks,
Theresa
stavrosbezas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: can the MiniStack be used as your primary processor? Reply with quote

biophilia wrote:
I am a greenie on her first adventure with her beloved mac mini 1.25hz. I am using my mini for video editing and want to boost my computers speed and memory as much as possible on a ~$350USD budget (on top of the 1GB of RAM already in the mail). I have a couple of questions:

- Some folks have been talking about using their external HD as their primary drive and their internal as back up. Is this hard to do?

Cheers and thanks,
Theresa

It is extremely easy to have your external act as your startup. Just change your startup disk (system preferences) to the external drive and install OS X on it, done. It's actually as easy as it should be!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: can the MiniStack be used as your primary processor? Reply with quote

biophilia wrote:

It will, even if you have a 5400 rpm drive already in your Mini. In my case with a 4200 rpm drive in my Mini, the speedup with a 7200 rpm drive in my miniStack is quite marked for everything from booting, starting applications, menu response, etc. and the benchmark software really shows this. You will get a speedup whether you use the miniStack as a startup drive or not, but in my case, using the new drive for startup makes it extra responsive. As long as you have OS X on each drive, you can try it either way and decide for yourself.
tiv

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Seagate Barracuda drives that don't fit? Reply with quote

[quote="Zeibin"]Does anyone know which Seagate Barracuda models do/don't fit in this enclosure? NewerTech says "some 7200.7 and 7200.8 drives" won't physically fit, but they don't say if it's the drive size or locations of connectors, or what have you.

I can't see any difference in the dimensions of these drives to others at Western Digital or Maxtor...

I just tried to fit a Seagate 7200.9 in one of these enclosures in place of the WD drive that was in there and it would not fit though I could perhaps have forced it. When I compared the drives the Seagate had noticably sharper corners than the WD and it was the corner that sits right into the case corner that was fouling. I took a mini hacksaw and cut a small piece off the corner of the drive, cleaned it up with a file and it now fits without any problems.

Hope this helps.

Alec
Jens24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: THe HD Enclosures out there don't do it! Reply with quote

Shocked When is there going to be a HD enclosure for the Mac Mini that allows more than one drive, SATA, and Ide, DVD dual layer burners etc. I asked several Mfgs and they say not yet, more need to ask. I asked about a 4 bay 2 SATA2 bays and 2 IDE bays. I want to use this with my Mac Mini. I was thinking of developing a product line for the mini. Have inputs at the top where the mini would sit in a indented area for the Mini. These would be Firewire and USB. Then farther down have hub of six USB outs and 3 or 4 Firewire outs. Allow the SATA2 to be raid workable and the IDE able for DVD dual layer burners. All this in a brushed aluminum rounded corner case. With power and quiet fan, and you would have a hot seller!! If you could do all that I think you could sell it for $300 or 350 without any drives! I was refered a couple of times to a mfg in Tiawan, www.macpower.com.tw , and wrote (email) them. But more people need to email them if their are others that would like to see this built. I don't want stacks of MacMini stacked HDs cases and 5 or 6 power bricks stacked up. I would like to keep the clean lines of the Mini with a clean HD unit.
Borealys

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is this: What kind of drive CAN you put in the miniStack? Is it IDE or SATA? Or both?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Gear Guide All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: