123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you happy with Leopard?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy with Leopard?
Extremely happy!
43%
 43%  [ 114 ]
Somewhat happy
25%
 25%  [ 66 ]
Somewhat disappointed
11%
 11%  [ 30 ]
Extremely disappointed
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Haven't upgraded
18%
 18%  [ 48 ]
Total Votes : 263

iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time Machine has been a disappointment in that it doesn't work with network volumes by default.

There is a hack to get it working...but it is flaky (which is probably why they disabled that functionality by default).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mojofrojo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the stand out feature of this update is the quick look. To be able to just pop open a PDF and scroll thru it to see if it is a new revison is one heck of a bonus. Of corse I dont think I'll ever use time machine but whatever. Happy I updated but it is more of a patch than a new version in my mind.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
imfullofit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy overall with it on my mini that I use as a media server. It seems much faster on important things like music, video, and photos. It has a much more stable feeling overall for me. This is impressive for an older ppc running at 1.42 mhz.

On my macbook I am a not as satisfied. I had to stop using time machine because of strange errors. In the beginning pithelmet wasn't working and this was surprisingly annoying. The software maker just got it up and running recently so that is no longer a problem. I am now struggling getting gimp up and running. Luckily I don't need to do any photo editing right now. I also agree with the people who posted earlier with complaints about the folders in the menu bar not being easily recognizable. The performance on my macbook seems about the same and none of my complaints are deal breakers. I just feel like apple should be splashing a little more cash around considering their increase in market share and higher sales lately.

www.julianvandercook.com
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
I don't have Leopard yet, but I don't like the menu bar either.
Oh well. Candybar and numerous others should take care of the visual aspects.

My sentiments exactly...I"m sure in time you'll be able to change pretty much anything you like, like you can in Tiger...

My 2 cents...

o.k. so YEAH! I am happy with Leopard, and I've changed the menu bar and Dock already.... no app enhancers either! just a simple drag and drop, authenticate, and dock restart!!

GO LEOPARD!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
agnustic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: --- Reply with quote

---

Last edited by agnustic on Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Satisfied with Leopard Reply with quote

agnustic wrote:
I never activated Time Machine since there is really no point.

Are you saying there is no point to having backups?
Especially the easiest backup system to-date.

jb.
agnustic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: --- Reply with quote

---

Last edited by agnustic on Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
ZeroCorpse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new dock, and I like the transparent menu bar.

And I like Stacks. Of course, I fixed mine so it looks like I have trays on my Dock. You can do it too!

http://t.ecksdee.org/post/19001860

It looks great!

As for the functions of Leopard, I have tried Time Machine, but my external HD is just too small, and I need to upgrade. I have problems with the backdrops in iChat/Photobooth. I don't use Back To My Mac or any of the other advanced networking things. Most of the time I like Coverflow. I'm very glad that they made the desktop image able to "Fit to screen" this time around.

Anything I dislike? I miss the old menus that were replaced with the iTunes menu. Spaces hasn't done much for me, yet. I dislike that that some of my programs don't work properly yet (Super Duper! in particular) and I wish I could still put folders on my Dock along with the Stacks.

All in all, it's a nice upgrade.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imfullofit wrote:
On my macbook I am a not as satisfied.

I agree. My MacBook came with Leopard pre-installed, so I didn't have the option of sticking with Tiger, which is a shame.

In comparison with Tiger, Leopard feels rough around the edges. It stutters over things that it should do instantly (e.g. saving files or moving text). I also see quirky little errors; when I turn off the 'Show status checkboxes' option in an outline created with OmniOutliner, the checkboxes all disappear with the exception of the last one which is replaced by a lower case 'a'. What is that all about? Confused
8wheels

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very happy. Yes, it needs a little more cooking, but the new functionality and thought they put into its design is evident. Everywhere you look, nice little surprises pop up that show the depth of their interest in doing it right. Not like the other guys who just slap something together, knowing a gullible public will eat it up anyway.

Stacks could be cooler if you could do a quicklook right from there instead of having to go back to a finder window.

And while not directly Leopard related, one of the most nicest things about the new Safari is that a new tab loads while you are still seeing the one you were on already, rather than the hideous blank page as a page loads. Mucho welcomed. And the new find in Safari is way cool.
Macuser9214

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOMEWHAT happy.

It feels like Leopard is still in Beta, and still needs some work.

I look forward to the updates.
wingers99

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Not bad, Tiger worked very well and sometimes its hard to see what is better. Is Leopard really quicker???
Is it quicker because a lot of programs are not used Question
or what
sgb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done two Leopard installs, the first on a friend's iBook G4 on the day of release, the other on the new iMac I bought in late November.

Judging by the number of complaints and problems with Leopard @ Apple's own forum, I must say that I feel lucky that my own disappointments are so few. And, just looking at the comments here, I have a different take on Disk Utility, Safari and Mail than others do.

It took me about 6 hours to get Mail to run properly on the iBook. Even now it is not 100% (it keeps warning that the certification for the mail server is not correct), but it will connect and operate with a little coaxing. After seeing how slowly the iBook was running on Leopard, I suggested that she (the owner/friend) upgrade from its base RAM to 1.5GB, and that has solved some speed issues, but not all.

Safari tells me that I am not connected to the internet. When I changed the startup page from Apple's that warning disappeared, but I can rarely connect to ANY Apple site with it. If I want to see anything at Apple, I have to run Firefox.

As for Disk Utility, I have no explanation for the problems I have encountered with it. Shortly after I installed Leopard, I ran "Verify Disk Permissions." Much to my surprise, this took nearly 3 hours to complete along with 16 printed pages of warnings. They all look like these few:

2007-11-30 12:07:46 -0600: ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/zh_CN.lproj/Library/Audio/Sounds".
2007-11-30 12:07:46 -0600: ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/zh_CN.lproj/Library/Audio".
2007-11-30 12:07:46 -0600: ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/zh_CN.lproj/Library/ColorPickers".

I've tried Disk Utilities a few times, always with the same results — about 3 hours to finish, and always with the same 16 pages of trash as shown above. [/b]
idave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgb wrote:
I've tried Disk Utilities a few times, always with the same results — about 3 hours to finish, and always with the same 16 pages of trash as shown above.

I've had the same trouble since day one. In fact, I think things have gotten even worse since updating to 10.5.1. I just can't understand how things have changed so drastically with repairing and verifying permissions between Tiger and Leopard. Apple really dropped the ball on this one. Fortunately, the rest of Disk Utility seems to be working fine.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
stoneland

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: well.... Reply with quote

it's so slow to boot my com.... i am willing to give a B.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: