123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Login & Keychain Update 1.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Login & Keychain Update 1.0 Reply with quote

Login & Keychain Update 1.0
Saturday, October 27, 2007
Posted by: Brian

Apple has released Login & Keychain Update 1.0 via Mac OS X's Software Update utility and on the Web. According to the company, the Login & Keychain Update 1.0 for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is recommended for all Leopard installations. It addresses issues you may encounter when:

- Logging in with an account originally created in Mac OS X 10.1 or earlier that has a password of 8 or more characters.

- Connecting to some 802.11b/g wireless networks.

- Changing the password of a FileVault-protected account.

The download weighs in at 10MB.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/796.html
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so it begins... Laughing
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thought the new process for updating was interesting.
Xao

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Be wary! Reply with quote

I just upgraded my MBP from Tiger to Leopard, the upgrade went smooth, I got to my desktop with no problems and the first thing I was prompted with was the update for the Keychain.

I have to say, I like the new looks for the update tool.

Of course I selected yes, promptly rebooted and now i can not log into my MBP.

It complains that the sparseimage (I choose to encrypt my home dir since it's my laptop) isn't clean and click OK to repair then proceed to logging in (or something along those lines). I click OK, says it can't log in and goes back to the login screen. Unfortunately, I only have one account on my MBP. Sad

Right now, I have the MBP in target mode and I'm copying the sparseimage over to my PM to see if I can't mount it there. I just upgraded it to Leopard too, but I have not installed the keychain update yet, so I'm hoping I can at least mount the image to get my files out of it, there were some pretty important things in there. 90% of them are backed up, but in all my impatient unwise decisions to get to Leopard fast, I didn't backup the last 10% before upgrading. hehehe My fault, I know better. Very Happy

Anyways, I'll place a call with Apple maybe tomorrow or Monday to see if they know a work-around, but for those of you who have an encrypted HomeDir, you might want to hold off!
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This update went extremely slow for a relatively small update. I sat on a screen with the spinning disk for over 15 minutes on the restart. I almost hit the power button to restart, but then it continued. I guess you have to be patient on this one guys.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems with the Intel mini, but my iMac and G4 mini froze on the restart. I had to manually toggle the power on them. That being said, everything seems to be working fine now. I was also surprised to see the update install after clicking restart. I guess this will be the method in Leopard.
iLife's a Bitch!
Xao

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was my problem, when I hit "reboot" it just instantly rebooted without installing anything, I don't think it did a proper shutdown, so it appears to have corrupted my filevault.

Anyways, I was able to boot my MBP into Target mode and used my PM to use DiskWarrior to fix the problem, but I have had three oddities since upgrading several machines around here. Much much more than I have typically encountered in the three years I have been a Mac/Tiger user.

I'll give it a few more days to iron out, then I might try a fresh install to see how that goes.

BTW: All the other machines when installing the Keychain patch took a few seconds to complete and didn't reboot instantly.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xao wrote:
I'll give it a few more days to iron out, then I might try a fresh install to see how that goes.

That might be a good idea this early on. My iMac began acting a little strange yesterday, so I'm going to reinstall Leo on it tonight. It will be an erase and install this time around.
iLife's a Bitch!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This also helps boot camp issues as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: