123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FINK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoSpudly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: FINK Reply with quote

Hello All, this is my first post, i converted to the mac in december love it...
when i was still running panther i discovered the fink program to use gaim i like gaim for some reason. I upgraded to tiger and the new version of fink but i can't get gaim to run, i was just wondering if anyone had any luck getting gaim working on tiger, or if it just isn't a woking package yet. If anyone has gotten it running i would like some help getting it working on my mini but we can burn that bridge later. Thanks in advance.

-Nick
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: FINK Reply with quote

NeoSpudly wrote:
Hello All, this is my first post, i converted to the mac in december love it...
when i was still running panther i discovered the fink program to use gaim i like gaim for some reason. I upgraded to tiger and the new version of fink but i can't get gaim to run, i was just wondering if anyone had any luck getting gaim working on tiger, or if it just isn't a woking package yet. If anyone has gotten it running i would like some help getting it working on my mini but we can burn that bridge later. Thanks in advance.

-Nick

Gaim works for me but I had to reinstall X11 and Fink which means removing the /sw directory wich means removing all install X11 apps.

First install X11 from the Tiger disc. Pop in the Tiger install disc and when the finder window opens, scoll down to a file called Optional Installs.mpkg. (it's right under the Xcode folder) Click through the first screens, and select the destination drive. Click the arrow next to Applications and you will see the option to install X11.

Reinstall Fink, reinstall Gaim.

I don't know if you have tried AdiumX but it is based on Gaim and is a native OS X app.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Adium, which is a native OS X (quartz) IM client. Also, instead of FINK, I use Darwin Ports...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NeoSpudly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, i'm gonna try re-installing fink and x11 and try it again. I'm currently useing adiumx and i like it but i wanna get gaim to work, as for darwin ports i've tried installing it but i don't understand the readme file where you have to edit the file, i'm a total noob when it comes to unix but i want to learn
NeoSpudly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-installing fink and x11 worked i'm using gaim again now. Thanks guys.
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeoSpudly wrote:
Thanks guys, i'm gonna try re-installing fink and x11 and try it again. I'm currently useing adiumx and i like it but i wanna get gaim to work, as for darwin ports i've tried installing it but i don't understand the readme file where you have to edit the file, i'm a total noob when it comes to unix but i want to learn

The install instuctions do not help the new user at all. You do not need the path for darwin Ports to work but you need to supply it in front of every command. I am installing Midnight Commander for Darwin Ports through a GUI called Port Authority so I can edit my .profile file easier (vi is not very intuitive in my opinion)

One major difference between the two is that Fink has binaries and source while Darwin Ports is source only. So if you can get what you need from Fink then your good.

**UPDATE**
Using MC I found that there are two files one that is just .profile and one that is .bash-profile, editing the later will add the needed paths. Now both fink and Darwin Ports are working fine on the same system.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: