123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini Pal for Mac Mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
greg wrote:
I find that the sound from the miniStack fan is acceptable. It is louder than the Mini fan but I don't find it obnoxious and still very quiet compared to my PC.

I wouldn't want a fan louder than the mini fan going off, not if it's happening too often. When the mini fan goes on and stays on that tells me I've got some process running wild (usually Mail) and I need to find and kill it.

How often does the fan go on, or is it pretty much running all the time?

Your mini fan is probably running on low more often than naught. You just don't notice it because it is VERY quiet. If you put your hand behind the mini you can feel the airflow. What you describe is when the fan kicks into high. I experience this at times on the Mini when running GPU intensive applications.

As for the miniStack, when performing very disk intenstive applications such as the 2-hour back-to-back backups, the fan ran on low (I can only describe it as a low hush sound) almost continuously and only on a couple occasions actually kicked into high (which sounds like the Mini fan on high). Otherwise, during normal use it seems to cycle between off and low every 10 minutes or so and will usually run for about 5 minute cycles. Given the choice between 120+ gig of data burning up due to insufficient cooling or a fan, I'll take the fan. That is why I'm still curious as to the actual operating temperatures of these fanless units.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vertigo25 wrote:
Man... they're just crankin' the matched drives out like crazy, huh? How many brands make these now?

I like the one-touch back-up, though. I've never used anything like that. What do you do, mark certain things to be part of the back up, and then just push the button any time you feel it needs to run?

I counted 8. until sofar... See also: http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=12355#12355
Have fun! Wink
mrbass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin MacTexas wrote:
Seems all the 160GB models are very close to $199 US. Looks like none of the brands are willing to cut margins to gain/keep market share... yet.

I just got this 160GB mini pal acomdata about a week ago from bestbuy.com .They had the 160GB mini pal listed on sale for $129.99. I go into the store and they haven't a clue what I'm talking about. Finally I get a guy to do a 'order request fulfilment'. Basically it was free shipping and no tax (not sure why) so $129.99 for the 160GB. I encoding a video for about 10 hours with it on the bottom. Works just fine even without a fan. It is warm to the touch but not as warm as my hother one that doesn't have a fan...that one I'd classify as hot to the touch. It is extremely quiet otherwise I would have immediately returned it. That's my main criteria as I use it at night and my wife can't sleep if a sound of a fan is heard.

Anyway I decided to keep the mini pal on top of my mac mini. Anyway couldn't be happier. I like the 2 extra firewire and 3 usb ports I'm able to use. Now I have one 160GB, three 200GB, and two 250GB external firewire harddrives. All the others have 8MB cache so this 160GB only has 2MB cache but it suffices.
slickrick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbass wrote:

Anyway I decided to keep the mini pal on top of my mac mini. Anyway couldn't be happier. I like the 2 extra firewire and 3 usb ports I'm able to use. Now I have one 160GB, three 200GB, and two 250GB external firewire harddrives. All the others have 8MB cache so this 160GB only has 2MB cache but it suffices.

I don't see anything wrong with sticking these Mac mini drives on top of the mini. My only concern would be AE reception.
cnystrom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Boot from MiniPal? Reply with quote

Has anyone been able to install OS X and boot from this drive? I expected to be able to since it is a firewire drive, but I was not able to select it during the install process, and the manual says that it is not possible.
new_mac_guy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Mini Pal Reply with quote

I like my Mini Pal what with the extra USB and Firewire ports it gives me. The backup software doesn't work. Pushing the autobackup button does nothing. When I run the included Retrospect software I get a crash and a screen asking if I want to report the problem to Apple. Fortunately I have iBackup so don't need the Dantz software. By the way, the Dantz software that came with my Lacie external drive for my PC didn't work either.
prats4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: This drive cannot be made bootable!! (WARNING) Reply with quote

From their site:

Q: Can you use mini Pal as a startup disk?
A: mini Pal cannot be used as a startup disk. However, if you use your mini Pal as a backup device, and you use the Backup operation in Retrospect Express, it is possible to backup the entire contents of your computer’s startup disk, including the operating system and all associated files. If your computer’s startup disk becomes unresponsive, you can restore the entire disk from your mini Pal. See the Help menu in Retrospect Express for more information.
thekonuskid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You CAN use the miniPal as a boot drive, contrary to what the instruction manual and the customer service people might tell you. As a matter of fact, I've been booting from it for the past three months and have not had any heat issues or any issues at all for that matter (I almost positive you can use any firewire drive as a boot drive that's been manufactured in the past 2 or 3 years, or longer depending on the chipset or whatever). It runs quiet, it runs fast(er than my 40 gig internal harddrive), and the logo is actually quite inconspicuous due to the type of paint/matte finish that's used (you can only see it if the light hits it just right). Yes the big blue LED is a bit awkward at first, but you'll learn to love it. It's a great drive, matches the mini perfectly in color, and you wouldn't be disappointed if you decide to get one. Just thought I'd give you a firsthand testimonial instead of all this stuff you're tossing around that's just hear-say. It's a great drive. You can boot from it. And heat is not an issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: