123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini Pal for Mac Mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that it's more like five uniquely designed external drives. The MiniStack is a renamed M9 DX from MacPower, and my gut reaction is that the new AcomData Mini Pal is a renamed miniPartner from MacWay, though I can't be 100% sure about this.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranum wrote:
My guess is that it's more like five uniquely designed external drives. The MiniStack is a renamed M9 DX from MacPower, and my gut reaction is that the new AcomData Mini Pal is a renamed miniPartner from MacWay, though I can't be 100% sure about this.

They look very similar. Probably re-badged off the line in China.
iLife's a Bitch!
diulei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll stick with a MacPower or NewerTech model (same model, different badges). Normally I wouldn't mind a logo but the Mac Mini doesn't have a logo except for on the top, it would match well with one of the ones with no logo.
slickrick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diulei wrote:
I think I'll stick with a MacPower or NewerTech model (same model, different badges). Normally I wouldn't mind a logo but the Mac Mini doesn't have a logo except for on the top, it would match well with one of the ones with no logo.

The MacPower and NewerTech drives get my vote for the best looking even though the blue light on the front is ugly.
Austin MacTexas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems all the 160GB models are very close to $199 US. Looks like none of the brands are willing to cut margins to gain/keep market share... yet.
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranum wrote:
My guess is that it's more like five uniquely designed external drives.

Regardless of the number, its just nice to have options and we certainly seem to be getting them. I'm sure more are on their way.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
resuna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone actually gets this one, could you let me know if the software for the "one touch backup" button allows you to do anything else with the button? I'd like to make it run an Applescript to eject my combo drive, because I'm absolutely sure that I don't have any use for whatever their backup software is.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
If someone actually gets this one, could you let me know if the software for the "one touch backup" button allows you to do anything else with the button? I'd like to make it run an Applescript to eject my combo drive, because I'm absolutely sure that I don't have any use for whatever their backup software is.

There might be some info in the User's Guide. Part III talks about scripting for backup.

http://www.acomdata.com/AcomData_Downloads/3.5_External_Hard_Drives/mini_Pal/M-HDxxxFPMM-72-v1E.pdf
resuna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
There might be some info in the User's Guide. Part III talks about scripting for backup.

Yuck! Razz

If the only client they have for it is in software from Dantz, it's bloody useless. Forget it.
danny_w

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin MacTexas wrote:
Seems all the 160GB models are very close to $199 US. Looks like none of the brands are willing to cut margins to gain/keep market share... yet.

The 160GB LaCie is $150, but does not include a hub. Still,that would be my choice considering all of the others seem to be having heat issues. Ultimately I decided to buy a $65 Rosewill RX30-U2FA external case for my own drive.
CitizenJournalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danny_w wrote:
Austin MacTexas wrote:

The 160GB LaCie is $150, but does not include a hub. Still,that would be my choice considering all of the others seem to be having heat issues. Ultimately I decided to buy a $65 Rosewill RX30-U2FA external case for my own drive.

Can you elaborate on the heat issues? Have you seen reviews indicating heat dissipation is a problem? Experienced it first hand? Details are desired, as I am on the market for an external drive!
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CitizenJournalist wrote:
Can you elaborate on the heat issues? Have you seen reviews indicating heat dissipation is a problem? Experienced it first hand? Details are desired, as I am on the market for an external drive!

I can elaborate on heat issues (at least from a Mini & miniStack perspective). I've seen lots of comments and speculation thrown around on forums regarding the various stackable mini-specific enclosures and perceived "heat issues". So I decided to put the miniStack to the test (something more quantitative than feeling it with my hand). Short answer: Under heavy use, the miniStack drive is actually running cooler than my Mini internal drive. I'll be posting the specifics this evening (I have a life I have to attend to right now. Wink ). Details at 11:00.
Dell 1905FP
CitizenJournalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
CitizenJournalist wrote:

I can elaborate on heat issues (at least from a Mini & miniStack perspective). I've seen lots of comments and speculation thrown around on forums regarding the various stackable mini-specific enclosures and perceived "heat issues". So I decided to put the miniStack to the test (something more quantitative than feeling it with my hand). Short answer: Under heavy use, the miniStack drive is actually running cooler than my Mini internal drive. I'll be posting the specifics this evening (I have a life I have to attend to right now. Wink ). Details at 11:00.

Thanks - I look forward to your data! I noticed that the miniStack contains a cooling fan, while some of the external mini-stackable drives don't use a fan. Can you also comment on the noise - is it very loud? One of the things I like about my mini is that it's quiet, so I'm hesitant to buy an external drive that is noisy, because I don't want to ruin the "ambience" in my computer room Smile
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CitizenJournalist wrote:
Thanks - I look forward to your data! I noticed that the miniStack contains a cooling fan, while some of the external mini-stackable drives don't use a fan. Can you also comment on the noise - is it very loud? One of the things I like about my mini is that it's quiet, so I'm hesitant to buy an external drive that is noisy, because I don't want to ruin the "ambience" in my computer room Smile

I find that the sound from the miniStack fan is acceptable. It is louder than the Mini fan but I don't find it obnoxious and still very quiet compared to my PC. Its a subjective thing and really hard for me to tell you whether it will bother you or not. Here is report on some temperature testing that I performed. You'll see that the miniStack actually runs cooler than the Mini and within the published operating temperatures of the drive.
A good bit of the heat that I initially felt on the top of the miniStack was actually coming from the Mini itself.

http://miniplus.blogspot.com/2005/08/are-things-heating-up.html

I'd love to get my hands on a couple of the fanless units and test them as well. Maybe someone here can perform some tests and post results.
Hope this helps.
Dell 1905FP
resuna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
I find that the sound from the miniStack fan is acceptable. It is louder than the Mini fan but I don't find it obnoxious and still very quiet compared to my PC.

I wouldn't want a fan louder than the mini fan going off, not if it's happening too often. When the mini fan goes on and stays on that tells me I've got some process running wild (usually Mail) and I need to find and kill it.

How often does the fan go on, or is it pretty much running all the time?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: