123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newertech ministack HD enclosure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traveller

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Newertech ministack HD enclosure Reply with quote

I bought Newertech's version of the M9 -- they call it the "ministack" -- from OWC for $99 ($105 with shipping), minus hard drive. I planned to put a Seagate 120gb drive in it; that was the drive that used to be in my Cube, and it has all my music on it. Guess again!

Calling it a "tight fit" would be an understatement. I've not seen an external drive box where there's so little free space. Apparently some Seagate drives -- including mine -- are a couple of millimeters longer than most, and that's enough to keep the drive from going all the way down into this case. Lucky for me I had a spare WD 120gb on the bench. But I still had to insert the end with the power connector first and then apply a little force to get the drive down far enough in the case so the screws would engage the cradle. The lid snaps on; it looks like it will take a thin screwdriver or something to pop it back off.

The WD just fit into the M9, but it fired right up the first time, and I had no trouble moving my music (and other files) from the Seagate. The M9 fits perfectly under the mini; together, they look a lot like a bookshelf stereo I used to have. Rather than use the thick, somewhat stiff cables supplied with the M9, I'd recommend buying short versions of the thin, white Firewire cables that Apple makes. Try J&R Music World.

The fan seems to be pretty quiet. I can hear a soft whir when the living room is absolutely silent, but I'm not sure if it's the M9 or the mini itself. I don't think I'll need them, given that the mini is just a music server and spare Web surfing box and not my main machine, but I don't see why the M9 couldn't have had one more USB and Firwire port each.

At $99 for an empty box, I think the manufacturer & vendor are making plenty of profit, but I guess Mac users are used to paying a little extra for style.
bubba

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From OWC's page:

Quote:

Any single* 3.5" Parallel ATA Hard Drive (Desktop size) ATA-6 compatible (>128GB Drive Support)
*Some Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 and 7200.8 drives will not physically fit into the enclosure. We recommend Hitachi, Western Digital, and Maxtor drives for this enclosure.

Wonder if my Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3400832A-RK 400GB will fit in it?
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
Wonder if my Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3400832A-RK 400GB will fit in it?

My Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3120026A just fit (very tight).
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let see which brands and styles there are recently for under the mini:

1. MacPower M9-DX
2. Newer Technology MiniStack
3. Iomega Minimax

1, 2 and 3 are the same, only Iomega asks 100 dollar/euro(!) for its logo on the front + a HD.

4. Micronet MiniMate
5. MacWay MiniPartner/Acom Data MiniPal
6. ADS Tech
7. LaCie mini

#1, 2 and 3 pro: switches in accord with the mini, # 1 and 2 available without HD. con: made from plastic which differs in color somewhat, uses a fan for cooling. #3 has logo and HD, expensive.
4. Pro: Same materials as Mac mini, no fan. con: Logo, not available w/h HD, HD is older and slower than nowadays available, difficult to open, a bit like the Mac mini. Price is not low.
5. Pro: 4 extra USB ports (the only one who has that!), no fan, uses heatsink and close attachement of the HD, backup button on the front and software to go with it. con: logo and ugly BIG backup button/led on the front, no version without HD, prices on their French website without VAT.
6. Pro: ? con: no hub and only USB connection
7. Pro: Made from aluminium, no fan, extra space to avoid heating issues and than looks good: space underneat looks like the diskdrive of the MM. con: not available without HD, the big LaCie logo, no hubs, only a USB or FW repeater.

I am still puzzled which one is best for me, if only the laCie had a USB/FW hub...
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
I am still puzzled which one is best for me, if only the laCie had a USB/FW hub...

So far the LaCie has recieved the best user comments, no issues with heat or fan noise (no fan) like some of the others. I would get the LaCie and the Belkin FireWire/USB hub. It would be more expensive, but you woud have two solid components.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:
James T Kirk wrote:

So far the LaCie has recieved the best user comments, no issues with heat or fan noise (no fan) like some of the others. I would get the LaCie and the Belkin FireWire/USB hub. It would be more expensive, but you woud have two solid components.

It only does not have the auto-on ability as the Micronet system has, does it? Actually I like the looks of the laCie best too... Smile
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
homerjatmoes wrote:
James T Kirk wrote:

It only does not have the auto-on ability as the Micronet system has, does it? Actually I like the looks of the laCie best too... Smile

It does not have the auto-on feature, but with the external drive I am using I just let the mini go to sleep and the external drive spins down, so I don't miss not having the auto-on option.

Auto-on is convenient, but my enclosure cools my drive and is very, very quiet.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:

It does not have the auto-on feature, but with the external drive I am using I just let the mini go to sleep and the external drive spins down, so I don't miss not having the auto-on option.

Which one is that?
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
homerjatmoes wrote:

Which one is that?

AMS VENUS DS-2316CBK. It is a "generic" enclosure, but I went for cooling as it is my boot device.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:
James T Kirk wrote:
Which one is that?

AMS VENUS DS-2316CBK. It is a "generic" enclosure, but I went for cooling as it is my boot device.

Oh, OK. Mine is one without a fan at all, but the sides are from punctured metal, just like de front of the G5. Pity however the drive is although quite, not in the low frequencies (hum/buzz) Hitachi K7250, 7300, 8mb cache, 160 GB. This will be my future boot device as well. I might buy the LaCie mini 80 Gb as bootdevice though and keep this one as backup device, I don't know yet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: