123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OWC offers 3GB RAM Kit for new Mac minis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: OWC offers 3GB RAM Kit for new Mac minis Reply with quote

OWC offers 3GB RAM Kit for new Mac minis
Friday, August 17, 2007
Posted by: Brian

OWC today announced that it is now offering up to 3.0GB of expansion memory for Apple's latest Mac mini Core 2 Duo models. This represents a 50% increase over the 2.0GB maximum factory-installed option. According to the company, "Mac mini users will appreciate the real performance gains possible when taking their memory to this new max."

The company also noted that a 4.0GB (2GB x 2 Pair) configuration was tested in the new Mac minis. "Although the Core 2 Duo Mac mini is limited to 3.0GB addressed, the 4GB Set (2GB x 2 Pair) does appear enable 128 Bit addressing. While there does seem to be a small performance benefit gained with the 4.0GB vs. 3.0GB config, we'd recommend sticking with 3.0GBs max (in Core 2 Duos) unless you absolutely are seeking every last trickle of performance boost possible." You can view all of the test results here.

OWC Memory is fully backed by a Lifetime Advance Replacement Warranty and 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. Pricing has been set at $179.99 for the 3.0GB Kit (1GB + 2GB Module Set). Consumers can also get Trade-in Rebates of $20 ($10 per module) for the standard 1GB (512MB x 2) base factory memory.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/729.html

Last edited by admin on Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:44 pm; edited 9 times in total
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OWC website: "3.0GB Upgrade Kit (2.0GB Module + 1.0GB Matched)*"

How can these modules be 'matched' if they're of different sizes? Have I misunderstood the meaning of the word 'matched'?
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's strange is that Apple's website still lists 2GB as the maximum memory for the Mac mini.

Is OWC telling us it can access up to 4GB?
ToddBradley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
What's strange is that Apple's website still lists 2GB as the maximum memory for the Mac mini.

That's what they seem to be saying. I just got a brand spankin' new Mac mini yesterday and booted it up last night. I bought it from Apple.com with the upgraded hard drive and memory, so it already has 2GB. But if it can go to 3 GB I'm sure that would make any VMs I want to run go faster. However, it makes me nervous that Apple says 2 GB max, and this company says it can do better. Being a new Mac mini owner, is there any risk of incompatibility or hardware failure doing something like this?
Jeffy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToddBradley wrote:
Being a new Mac mini owner, is there any risk of incompatibility or hardware failure doing something like this?

My roommate has been running 3GB in his MacBook for like the last year or so. I don't see where this would be a problem with the Mac mini since they are basically the same computer. Just don't break anything during the upgrade. Wink
kaidomac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToddBradley wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:

That's what they seem to be saying. I just got a brand spankin' new Mac mini yesterday and booted it up last night. I bought it from Apple.com with the upgraded hard drive and memory, so it already has 2GB. But if it can go to 3 GB I'm sure that would make any VMs I want to run go faster. However, it makes me nervous that Apple says 2 GB max, and this company says it can do better. Being a new Mac mini owner, is there any risk of incompatibility or hardware failure doing something like this?

The reason Apple says to go matched is because the GMA950 video card runs better on matched ram. However, the performance benefits outweigh the performance decreases (which are slight), plus you get the extra gig of ram for applications. Give Parallels 1.5 gigs of ram and see how well your VM runs Wink
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the news just keeps getting better. I finally ordered a 1.83GHz mini this morning. It will be my first Intel Mac. Smile

I'll probably go with 3GB of RAM after Leopard comes out. The standard 1GB should hold me over until then.
iLife's a Bitch!
UMJonny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why have we always thought it was limited to 2gb? Would i be able to run 3gb with my C2D?
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UMJonny wrote:
Would i be able to run 3gb with my C2D?

Nope. They have a different Boot ROM and SMC.
UMJonny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
UMJonny wrote:
Would i be able to run 3gb with my C2D?

Nope. They have a different Boot ROM and SMC.

Any way to change that yourself??
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UMJonny wrote:
Any way to change that yourself??

I'm pretty sure that you would need a firmware update from Apple.
Cubist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: What a drag Reply with quote

Not even four days ago I bought a new Mini and put 2gig of ram in. Money wasted. I'll wait until after I see some performance tests before I upgrade again. Maybe 2gig is enough for my purposes.
heavy_nutz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What a drag Reply with quote

Cubist wrote:
Not even four days ago I bought a new Mini and put 2gig of ram in. Money wasted. I'll wait until after I see some performance tests before I upgrade again. Maybe 2gig is enough for my purposes.

If it was 4 days ago then you can take it back.....
Top 25 Poster
cbergeron

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They dont have ANY benchmarks for a Core Duo.

Core Solo, Core 2 Duo, but no Core Duo (Mac Mini from 2005-2007).

Something smells fishy with those numbers...

Can someone independently confirm that 4GB can be seen as 3GB in a Mini ?

I'm running 2GB (matched pair 1GB sticks) in mine, and it's great, but I'll easily put in 2 2GB sticks if the OS will see it.

Kind regards,
CB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: