123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Desktop design: Apple vs. Sony

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> More News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Desktop design: Apple vs. Sony Reply with quote

Desktop design: Apple vs. Sony
"It's likely that more than a few would-be Mac buyers who decided that for what ever reason they couldn't part with Windows ended up with a VAIO. All PC manufacturers place an importance on design, of course, but no two more than Apple and Sony. Both companies recently put out updates to their all-in-one and small-form-factor systems. Let's take a look at how they compare."

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9778427-1.html
fouadbakht

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony still seems to be light years behind (lagging) in design/concept as compared to Apple (and I mean all comparable products). But again people tend to divide basing upon personal choice/taste of brand loyalty or user experience.
DCGuy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its about software, and then its about design.

apple combines both nicely, and sony is rather overpriced.

Might as well get a dell Laughing
gigaguy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a least half a dozen Sony all-in-one desktops. Currently have the black gloss one that was about 2 gens back. came with wireless keyboard (with integrated cover) and mouse, DVD burner, 250gb.
Mine has a 20" widescreen that is very nice.
I only got the Mac Mini cause I wanted a small PC to hook to my Sony 46" HDTV set. It's great.

I seem to remember years ago that Sony and Apple were having secret talks. I think great things could have come out of a joint effort. like better sounding walkmans.
eckoplasm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You referring to the 3.5" floppy vs. Twiggy drive incident during the creation of the Macintosh 128K? http://folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Hide_Under_This_Desk.txt&sortOrder=Sort%20by%20Date&detail=medium&search=Hide%20in%20this%20closet

1.83Ghz SuperDrive Intel Core Duo
1GB RAM, 80GB HDD
Apple Keyboard+Mighty Mouse
Samsung SyncMaster 931BF(Silver and White)
paiboon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always in search of a compact computer. I don't like a notebook which is fragile and more expensive comparing with a same spec of desktop. I think the Japanese and Taiwanese companies have done a good job. They tried to make desktop computer mobile and smaller. But one thing I don't like is they use MS OS. I feel MacOS is better and stable,since they build the machine and the OS for that machine. This might be a prejudice. Once I considered seriously to buy a hybridge computer of one Japanese company which can use both AC and DC electric currency,very much like a notebook. It had a look of a desktop with a keyboad attached or detached as one likes, and a wireless mouse. It had some appeal to me. If I had not known Mac and it's OS,I would have bought that one.
I often went to a remote place where there was no electricity and stayed there many days. A notebook could not help much. One need many extra batteries. I often think it would be ideal if a computer can be powered by a small solar cell panel which can be bought anywhere now. I set my sight on the iMac. It would be great if someone here have any idea of how to use solar panel with a computer. Please give your view on this topic.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fouadbakht

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, paiboon, I guess you are still searching for your dream lady. Haven't decided yet?
DonMateo51

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paiboon wrote:
I always in search of a compact computer. I don't like a notebook which is fragile and more expensive comparing with a same spec of desktop. I think the Japanese and Taiwanese companies have done a good job. They tried to make desktop computer mobile and smaller. But one thing I don't like is they use MS OS. I feel MacOS is better and stable,since they build the machine and the OS for that machine. This might be a prejudice. Once I considered seriously to buy a hybridge computer of one Japanese company which can use both AC and DC electric currency,very much like a notebook. It had a look of a desktop with a keyboad attached or detached as one likes, and a wireless mouse. It had some appeal to me. If I had not known Mac and it's OS,I would have bought that one.
I often went to a remote place where there was no electricity and stayed there many days. A notebook could not help much. One need many extra batteries. I often think it would be ideal if a computer can be powered by a small solar cell panel which can be bought anywhere now. I set my sight on the iMac. It would be great if someone here have any idea of how to use solar panel with a computer. Please give your view on this topic.

You might be looking for something like this?

http://www.solar4power.com/solar-power-devices-2.html
iPod - 5th gen, 30GB, black
paiboon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Donmonteo51,that is what I want to know. But when I look at the price,the whole pagage is so expensive. Which means using a notebook is cheaper. If one has to live in a wild for more than 5 years and has to use electricity the price is OK.
I know a little bit about a solar cells. This is a clean technology for the modern world. Once I lived in a boat-house or raft-house floating on a river for many years. I used solar cells as a source of electricity. Solar cells act as a charger to a battery and from a battery to DC electric appliances. Most of the time we have to covert DC to AC by using an inverter,because AC appliances are cheaper and better quality.
I don't know what kind of electric currency that powers a computer. In a notebook,one can use AC currency from a socket everywhere,and at the same time,one can use a battery in the computer itself.
My question here is: if a sorlar cells act as a charger,can it be used directly to charge a battery in a notebook computer?
Is there anyone who can explain all these to me,or,suggest some books that I should read. I have leant for sometimes that in California they have developed a technology of solar cells which is used almost everywhere now.
>>fouadbaht>>you misunderstood me. I think to compare computers is a bit immature. Computer is a technology in progress. They change the looks and the things inside a computer in every 3-6 months. I happened to go to see a computer exhibition in Taipei some months ago. It's amazing to see different kinds of computers,different looks,different styles etc. to suit the needs of cosummers. Apple is not the only one which concerns about design. If I want to express in appreciation of Apple design I would simply say,"simple and elegance" which I also like.
My point is: if the iMac can also use a battery like a notebook,and if this can be powered or charged by a solar cells,the iMac should be my ideal super computer. The Japanese have already used a battery in a desktop computer. I would say they are quite advanced,or perhaps I don't understand something here.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lazykitty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for me, Mac vs Sony is not a question. It's the matter of taste.
There's a nice review on Mac and Vaio laptops: http://www.maconair.com/macbook_vs_sony_vaio
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> More News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: