123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils Mighty Mouse
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aristobrat wrote:
Is there a "usual delay" between when Apple announces a product (like the new mini line-up, or this mouse) before stores like CompUSA and Best Buy get them?

Looking briefly at their websites, they don't even look like they have the new mini line-up for sale yet. Should I even bother waiting for them to carry the mouse? Question

It usually takes a week or two unless the product is in high demand. It appears the Mighty Mouse is in high demand. They have already moved shipping from same business day to 2-4 days in the Apple Store. I'd order one from Apple if you want it any time soon. I ordered mine this morning! Very Happy
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the cord on this mouse is a nice as the material used on the iPod headphones.

I find the batteries in cordless mice make the mouse a little too heavy, for my liking. I'd probably get used to it, and love cordless after a while. But, being I don't mind cords as I manage them well, I'll probably stay that way. It's cheap, reliable, and maintenance free.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I find the batteries in cordless mice make the mouse a little too heavy, for my liking. I'd probably get used to it, and love cordless after a while. But, being I don't mind cords as I manage them well, I'll probably stay that way. It's cheap, reliable, and maintenance free.

I like a good corded mouse. I've ALWAYS had battery issues with wireless mice. I haven't tried some of the newer Logitech models that have rechargeable batteries. My general feeling is no batteries = lower cost of mouse ownership! Laughing Plus it'll be a good collectors item some day.
EyeTV 250 Plus
16GB 3G iPhone
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
I like a good corded mouse. I've ALWAYS had battery issues with wireless mice. I haven't tried some of the newer Logitech models that have rechargeable batteries. My general feeling is no batteries = lower cost of mouse ownership! Laughing Plus it'll be a good collectors item some day.

I've never understood the fascination with wireless keyboards and mice. Certainly there are some logistical situations where they make sense, but in a static setup, what's the point?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:

I've never understood the fascination with wireless keyboards and mice. Certainly there are some logistical situations where they make sense, but in a static setup, what's the point?

Another thing that bothers me about wireless is security. Apple wireless keyboards have 128-bit encryption, but what about some of these cheap $30 sets you see. I live in a big apartment complex and spend enough time worrying about my wireless router. I just saw this video review of the Mighty on Engadget.

http://theory.isthereason.com/?p=300
EyeTV 250 Plus
16GB 3G iPhone

Last edited by blazer on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be rude, but just look at the photo gallery. Most people are terrible with cord management.

To me cord management is what makes or breaks a wired system. Neatly run cables show a sense sense of pride, that you can't display with cordless.

I deal with a wireless network on the drilling rigs and I often have a lot of issues that I would not have to deal with in a wired system. Range, security, condensation in antennas, antennas getting ripped off, physical obstructions, interference from other wireless signals (esp. 2.4GHz), weather etc. I know this doesn't effect home networks as much, but most of those variables are still present.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
security

Read my mind! Do you work on one of those offshore rigs?
EyeTV 250 Plus
16GB 3G iPhone
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
security

Read my mind! Do you work on one of those offshore rigs?

Just land rigs so far. I'm sure I'll work offshore someday. I'm just starting for the competition, so who knows where I'll end up.

I would think the offshore rigs would be hardwired. They move as one unit (I think) and are stationary for long periods of time. The land rigs are mostly wired, but are moving to wireless more and more as the technology improves and proves itself. Land rigs consist of 1/2 dozen buildings (with computers) plus the rig. Each building moves individually. Rigging out all the wires is a pain. And cold weather causes havoc. Some rigs move every day or so, some every 6 months.
I also set up/troubleshoot the satellite systems and instrumentation. More of this is moving to wireless, as well.

Sorry to go off topic. But, some real world flavor never hurts the discussions. It also helps to get to know the members on this site Smile.

Wired is always better. Wireless is simply convenient (sometimes Wink )
sross

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems strange, but might be buyable, how do you click the left button without impacting the right button? I guess they have an internal divider thats hidden from view. Even so seems like it would be hard to click..
slickrick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sross wrote:
Seems strange, but might be buyable, how do you click the left button without impacting the right button? I guess they have an internal divider thats hidden from view. Even so seems like it would be hard to click..

I've read you have to lift the opposite finger from the side you want to click. If you want to do a right click, you have to lift your left finger off the mouse. It sounds kind of awkward.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slickrick wrote:
sross wrote:

I've read you have to lift the opposite finger from the side you want to click. If you want to do a right click, you have to lift your left finger off the mouse. It sounds kind of awkward.

I always left click with my index and right click with my middle finger. When I right click I lift my index finger off left button. It seems natural to me.

I have faith in Apple. We may do things in a certain fashion, not because it makes sense, but because that is how we have been trained.

Apple on the other hand, creates things that make sense. Often we need to retrain ourselves, but in the end we see the light.

My favorite mouse is the Logitech Mouseman original 3 button as seen here for $3. I still use it on my PC. Too bad it is PS/2, has a ball and is half the size of my mini.
slickrick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

I have faith in Apple. We may do things in a certain fashion, not because it makes sense, but because that is how we have been trained.

Apple on the other hand, creates things that make sense. Often we need to retrain ourselves, but in the end we see the light.

Bad habits are hard to break. Think different! Now if we could just decide on what LCDs to buy! Laughing
Ken4757

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats one cool looking mouse. I would love to have one but, Apple has again left a large part of its loyal users to twist in the wind. A lot of us haven't upgraded to Tiger yet (for different reasons) and the pref pane for this mouse will only work with the latest version of Tiger. I realize that the 3rd and forth buttons are programed for apps that are only in Tiger. How hard would it be to grey those options out for users of 10.3.9, 10.4 and 10.4.1?

As a user of 10.3.9 I would still buy the mouse for the two primary buttons and the fantastic scroll ball.

Ken
resuna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spolll wrote:
It is a nice looking mouse and feels sturdier and heavier to the touch than the old mouse. I'm doing alot less inadvertent clicking on this one which is a good thing. The other mouse was so flimsy that if I just rested my fingers on it without realizing it I'd get a click, not so with this one.

That's good. I had a lot of trouble with the old rocker mouse, even if it wasn't just one-button. I'm doing some work for a guy who's just totally drunk the white kool-aid and he set me up with a brand new Pro Mouse and Pro Keyboard at his office... and I'm afraid I hurt his feelings by plugging in a generic keyboard and a Microsoft mouse.

The older Apple mice, on the Beige boxes, were OK (apart from the single button issue), but not the ones since Steve Jobs took over. The rocker mice have felt both fragile and clumsy to me.

I've read that the thing mistakes right-clicks for left-clicks if you're in the habit of resting both fingers on the "buttons". Are you having that problem?

Also, how hard is it to pick up while holding a button pressed without activating the "squeeze" keys.
resuna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slickrick wrote:
First we get the Intel shocker and now this. What's next viruses and spyware! Laughing

Oh, it goes back longer than that:

"No ugly monitors on nice Macs" became "BYODKM"
"The best $50 you'll ever spend" became "Life is Random"
"One button is more than enough" becomes "Mighty Mouse"
"Megahertz Myth" becomes "Intel Inside"

What's next?

"It's the Music, Stupid" and a video iPod now seems inevitable.

What's left for Apple to give up?

Either they'll come up with a successor to the Newton, or "dude, you're getting a MacDell".

Or maybe... Mac OS XP?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: