123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Wall Install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini Wall Install Reply with quote

Mac Mini Wall Install
Sunday July 31, 2005

Lilmuckers from Caffeine Junkies has created the iKitchen. He's installed a Mac mini into the wall of his kitchen and designed a custom faceplate for the ports. Lilmuckers - "I noticed there was an accessible 6" void beneath the cupboards, which had easy access to the power, good airflow and there was a 2" void behind the cupboards I could feed cables through up to the worktop. So I could fit a box into the wall behind the tiles with a blanking plate, much like a power point, and plug a screen into, while also having other ports, such as USB, Audio, etc in a position to be used. So I could build a small computer to sit underneath the cupboards with cables going up a duct to the box in the wall, and build the ports into the blank panel."

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/335.html
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a kitchen that's a terrible design. He didn't even clean up the cables.

I was expecting to see an LCD that flips down. Some sort of neat pull out for the keyboard and mouse.

Sorry 123, but that thing gets 0 out of 5 stars.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give the guy credit for geeking it up and making the custom outlet, but the rest seems silly considering the Mac mini only takes up 7 x 7 inches of countertop space.
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was underneath the cupboard it said though, maybe you won't see the cables anyway?
e3mw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ingenuity and engineering ability that went into this 'hardware mod' of sorts was really more interesting than the finished product. It all was mainly a "I bet I can do this" kind of thing. And hey, whatever floats your boat, eh? Wink
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I would a house, I would do this but better.

1st, build the Mini so it's in a drawer. The Mini would slide into a rack and then dock at the back. The dock would provide ethernet, phone, video, usb KBM, maybe a webcam, and power. The cables would be run along tighetner things that keep the cables taught, like those retractable USB and modem cables. The DVI would output to a flip down monitor, depending on how much cupboard bottom I had, I would try for a 17" monitor. A wireless KBM would be kept in another drawer if there wasn't room in the first, or in a kind of rack on the counter. I would also mount a USB and FW connection on the front of the drawer or on the kitchen wall behind the counter.

Well, it'd just be something like that. I'm all about docking the Mini. I'd have a dock in the living room and my car too.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
resuna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just put the mini in an under-counter shelf. I mean, how's he gonna get to the CDROM drive now?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time keeping my Apple keyboard crumb free at my computer desk. It's amazing how much crap it collects. I don't eat near it, yet I'm constantly blowing it out to remove ickies.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I have a hard time keeping my Apple keyboard crumb free at my computer desk. It's amazing how much crap it collects. I don't eat near it, yet I'm constantly blowing it out to remove ickies.

Dishwasher.

Surriously, dishwash it. That's how you clean keyboards. If it's wireless, take the batteries out and discharge the capacitors and let it sit for a day or two, and then wash it. Don't let it dry in there, it needs to air dry.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not dishwasher icky, just a few crumbs and little hairs that seem to magically appear every couple days. I keep it and my house very clean.

I've thoroughly cleaned keyboards many times, I prefer to take them apart and clean them. Nothing better than a little elbow grease. You'd be amazed at what you'll find in there.

By the way, I clean keyboards that come off the oil drilling rigs. They get way too dirty for the dishwasher. Spray Nine works well on the tough stuff. Just be careful you don't rub the letters right off the keys.
indahouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
I'd just put the mini in an under-counter shelf. I mean, how's he gonna get to the CDROM drive now?

The Mac mini isn't actually in the wall. It's underneath the cabinets.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking on Macrumors and they had a thread about this computer. The dude has some sort of external dvd drive somewhere.

I don't know why this crappy hack job received so much attention. It must have been a slow day in Mac news.
resuna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indahouse wrote:
The Mac mini isn't actually in the wall. It's underneath the cabinets.

Yeh, and you're going to duck under there every time you want to put a CD in? Icky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: