123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros New iPod nano
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Apple Intros New iPod nano Reply with quote

Apple Intros New iPod nano
Wednesday, September 5, 2007
Posted by: Charles

Apple today introduced the new iPod nano, bringing video playback, an enhanced user interface featuring Cover Flow, and a new design to the popular music player. The new nano features a larger two-inch display with 204 pixels per inch, which lets users watch their favorite movies, TV shows and music videos in the same resolution they currently enjoy on the video iPod. iPod nano also includes three games, and additional games can be purchased from the online iTunes Store. iPod nano delivers up to 24 hours of audio playback or five hours of video playback on a single charge, and is encased in an new all-metal design made with anodized aluminum and polished stainless steel and comes in five new colors — silver, black, blue, green and a (PRODUCT) RED special edition.

"We've taken the most popular music player in the world and added stunning video playback just in time for the holiday season," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "The iPod nano just keeps getting better and better with each new generation."

The all new iPod nano features a 204 pixel per inch display that is 65 percent brighter than the previous generation and delivers 320x240 resolution that is perfect for watching your favorite movies and TV shows on the go. iPod nano also features an enhanced user interface that shows off album artwork and photos like never before, and now includes Cover Flow, so you can scroll through your entire music collection by album cover artwork using the Click Wheel.

Available today, the 4GB iPod nano comes in silver for $149 and the 8GB model is available in silver, black, blue, green and a (PRODUCT) RED special edition for $199.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/745.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little comparison for those of you wondering how good the screen is:
- the Nintendo GameBoy micro has a 2" screen, widescreen, 240x160 pixels
- the new iPod nano has a 2" screen, 4:3, 320x240 pixels

So if you think the pixels on the GameBoy micro are small, well, they should be even smaller on the new iPod nano. Shocked
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know everyone is drooling over the touch, but I kind of like the new nano.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody started a "Do you plan to buy a new iPod this week?" thread in the Member Polls section of the site. Until I saw this new Nano, my answer would have been a definite 'no'. But now, I'm not so sure...
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: 8GB Reply with quote

I think I'll wait until my 2GB dies then I might get a nano if they ever go to 16GB or the touch goes to 32GB, otherwise I go with a more classical look.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a little plug Laughing
short and stout
ArsenicPants

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like a chicklet
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't get a feel for just how big/small the new Nano was, so I checked the tech specs: 52mm wide x 70mm tall. To put that into perspective, a post-it note measures 75mm x 75mm. It just boggles the mind.
SlipperyRock

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new iPod nano and classic UI. I wish they would bring that Cover Flow album flipping over to iTunes. I'm talking about how you can flip the covers over and select different tracks. The same feature that started on the iPhone.
kbulava
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definetly better than the weak space on the touch ipods. i was really holding out for a touch ipod with at least 30gb. now these are looking a little more of a bargain.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Scored a new nano Reply with quote

I called the Apple store today and asked if they had the new nano. They told me to call back in the afternoon and they would have more info for me. I called back at 1:45 PM and they said that they had them. My boss and I flew down to the Apple store and picked them up. All the colors are cool, but I'm a middle-aged male, so I thought a tooty fruity colored iPod would be out of place on my person. I got a Black 8GB and my boss got a Silver 8GB. I also grabed a new Apple Keyboard. Smile

The new nanos are awesome! The user interface is a vast improvement over what was already a very good interface. The video on the nano is very good. My wife commented on how good the video actually looked.

I'm very pleased so far. The only knocks I can give it are that 8GB is not much storage for a video device and the polished back is probably going to be prone to scratch very easily. I'm not going to use the nano much until I can get some sort of case to protect the exterior. I have already ordered my favorite iPod protector, an Invisible Shield for it today, and I cannot wait for it to arrive.

If you are on the fence about the new nano, I would say Go For It Exclamation
stephenhill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Uugh Reply with quote

I think it looks ugly and misshapen.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a new nano Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:
I'm very pleased so far. The only knocks I can give it are that 8GB is not much storage for a video device.

Yeah, but the little guy has as much as the Touch or iPhone. And it doesn't lose as much with the OS. Wink
DCGuy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it now looks like those RCA players they used to make.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a new nano Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:
All the colors are cool, but I'm a middle-aged male, so I thought a tooty fruity colored iPod would be out of place on my person. I got a Black 8GB and my boss got a Silver 8GB.

I like the black and silver models best. The other colors look a little "Easter-ish" to me. It's also easier on the eyes to stare at a screen with a black or silver border around it. If you stare at a brightly colored nano for too long and look away, all you will see is that color. At least that's what happens to my middle-age eyes and brain. Laughing
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: