123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Alternate OS Forums ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini Alternate OS Forums ? Reply with quote

Dear Admins,

I hope you don't mind my making a suggestion about your forums...even though I am just a Newbie to your site...

My suggestion is this.

Instead of having one forum for alternate Os's lumped together under the current forum of "Bootcamp", how about changing its name to

" Mac Mini Alternate OS's "

...with further sub~divisions of that forum into two or even three fields ?

1. Mac Mini Windows

2. Mac Mini Linux

3. Mac Mini Unix

This would help those interested in / or contemplating using alternate OS's to go directly to their own OS area of interest. It would also help give normal Mac OS-X users, a little more insight into how such alternate Os's can be made to live side by side with OS-X.

It might be news to some of your forum members, but there is a small but growing number of Linux distros such as Mepis, Debian, and others who are actively working on Mac specific tools and Distros that will run on Intel Macs...as well as other Distros such as Yellow Dog that run on both the older PPC and later intel machines.

So clearly, the field is maturing for not just Windows users on Mac, but also Linux users on Mac.

With these points in mind, I would like to suggest...that the term "Bootcamp" is really not as transparent as it could be to non-mac machine users.

While it obviously means something to day to day Mac users, it means little to Window pc and Linux pc users who visit this site, and who are dabbling with the idea of switching over to Mac harware such as the Mac Mini.

That is all the more the pity.

The thought of clearly labelled "Mac Mini : Alternative OS" forum with said sub forums would go a long way to rolling out the invitational carpet.

As much as I deeply appreciate OS-X, we should also be showing themany non mac users out there, just how easy it is to install multiple Operating Sytems on Mac Hardware.

In my mind at least...it is a point to be very proud of.

Afterall, not many other computer manufacturers can boast about such OS flexibility and really follow through with it.

Not even Dell...can manage this more than half heartedly ... hehehe..

Respectfully

Aquafire

Ps : I use OS-X, Linux and Windows on a daily basis and look forward to the day when I can triple boot off my New (waiting for Leopard) Mac Mini. Smile
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini Alternate OS Forums ? Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
Dear Admins,

I hope you don't mind my making a suggestion about your forums...even though I am just a Newbie to your site...

Not at all. I may rename the forum over the weekend. I just need to run it past the other guys.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for considering it Brian.

If you need for someone to give you a hand in sorting out the threads and shifting them to their various sub forums...let me know.

I'll be happy to roll up my sleeves and do some heavy lifitng.... Smile

Cheers

Aquafire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: