123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple lowers price of 8GB iPhone to $399
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCGuy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They lowered the Iphone price to $399 probably because of Europe.

$599 is abit high for EU.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
Obviously they do their market research before releasing a product. That should have told them that the 8GB was going to sell better than the 4 even with the higher price. Now it should do that much better with the price drop.

I think this price drop is going to come back to haunt Apple. They should have forgotten about the 4GB model and come out a lower priced 8GB model at launch. Then come out with higher priced 16GB + models. I don't see where they go with this generation now when it comes to new models or pricing.
serpent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of these posts here crack me up! Even tho I bought 2 iPhones on July 1st, and was quite upset after learning of the iPhone price drop this afternoon. By the time I got home this evening I was extremely happy!!! Hell I'm dancing a Jig. All I can say is after making a phone call to the Apple Store and being told they couldn't do anything since I bought mine from local AS. The rest of the story I cannot tell because I had to Swear never to tell a Soul what happened tonight at my local Apple Store.
Am I lucky? I don't think so. I feel like I stated in another thread, That a Good deed always Begets Good, a Thank You is sometimes worth more than a pocketful of cash!
Maybe I'm wrong.....Yeah I am. I am very Lucky!
Lucky that this forum is here! Lucky that my interests lead me here! Lucky that since I was a little kid I loved to take things apart rebuild them better and have a few parts leftover to boot. Lucky that my kids love the mall, where my kids run off to shop while I shoot the shit with some really great guys in the AS! and......Lucky to be able to help others!
Now why people are crying they got ripped off by Apple all over the net, You know what? You deserve it! Nobody twisted your arm and forced you to buy an iPhone. Wait on lines for 4 days! etc etc etc. The cell phone industry is one of the most competitive businesses out there. Doesn't anyone remember the days when a cell phone dealer made $200 plus the profit on the phone for just signing you up. competition grew and sellers found themselves discounting the phones $200 just to get your business and soon after cell phone companies jumped in selling direct and giving away phones for free to compete.
The Treo 650 didnt that drop a few hundred bucks in 60-90 days. moto's Razor few hundred bucks now free.
Now along comes Steve Jobs the most gifted disciple of P.T. Barnum!
Is there anything this man markets that is not crippled in some way forcing you to spend more than you wanted/need to? He listened to his customers for ideas.........yeah his stock owning ones!
Wow 2am time for sleep.
I just wish people would wake up, grow some b*lls, Toss some Tea offa Boat, Ride their bike past the gas station,Tell your Congressman to deduct SS from their wages, and B and complain before they get F'd.

gn

serpent
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

serpent wrote:
The rest of the story I cannot tell because I had to Swear never to tell a Soul what happened tonight at my local Apple Store.

I'm going to guess that you got some, if not all, of your money back. Smile
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCGuy wrote:
They lowered the Iphone price to $399 probably because of Europe.

$599 is abit high for EU.

Hah! Apple would sell it for € 599! (incl.tax, that is) = $ 817,96, that's what they do with the MacMini too, My choise is to buy a mini for € 599 or € 799 that is in USA currency $ 817,96 and $ 1091,06!! Even reckoned with that we have 19% tax in my country (20% next year, highway robbery!) I think this is the reason people in Europe are not likely thinking of buying a Mac, considering that one usually gets for € 499 a PC with LCD screen, wireless multimedia keyboard and mouse, a 120 Gb 7300 HD and Vista with it. If you don't know OSX and think computering=working on a Windows machine, why would one go for a more expensive design machine without the extra's? Don't forget, they don't know what a Mac offers and what's it's OS + software is all about!! One usually think, a high priced fancy design computer and if they like design they usually buy a Sony Vaio or they have a PC built with a nice Lian Li case and design screen/keyboard/mouse... I tell you, one can built quite something interesting for $ 1100! Apple could WIN people by making a effort to financially compete with PC builders. They make enough money on iPods and iTunes, don't they?

P.S. What price are the 4 Gb iPhones go for? Rolling Eyes
DCGuy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, how much is unlimitted GPRS/EDGE data in Europe?
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
Hah! Apple would sell it for € 599! (incl.tax, that is) = $ 817,96, that's what they do with the MacMini too, My choise is to buy a mini for € 599 or € 799 that is in USA currency $ 817,96 and $ 1091,06!!

$599 isn't expensive for the EU, $599 = €435 = £300. It's the pricing policies of US corporations that are expensive for the EU. As JTK has pointed out, companies like Apple just swap the (weak) '$' sign for a (strong) '€' sign, so instead of paying $599, Europe pays $818.
serpent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
James T Kirk wrote:
Hah! Apple would sell it for € 599! (incl.tax, that is) = $ 817,96, that's what they do with the MacMini too, My choise is to buy a mini for € 599 or € 799 that is in USA currency $ 817,96 and $ 1091,06!!

$599 isn't expensive for the EU, $599 = €435 = £300. It's the pricing policies of US corporations that are expensive for the EU. As JTK has pointed out, companies like Apple just swap the (weak) '$' sign for a (strong) '€' sign, so instead of paying $599, Europe pays $818.

Do They really just swap the "$" symbol and just Laugh all the way to the bank?
Or is the price to do business subject to exise, duty, import plus some type of exorbidant income tax?
Please show me some FACTS that Apple or any other American based biz's profits are higher in the EU before you make such a Ludicrous statement.

Cap't. 4gb phones are $299 while supplies last.
gigaguy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading that apple's calculated risk going with AT&T, the slow network speed, and high prices was only enough to lure the 'gotta have its', even tho it's a great product otherwise. Those buyers came and went, now Apple is trying to lure new customers other than just the loyal fan base.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

serpent wrote:

Or is the price to do business subject to exise, duty, import plus some type of exorbidant income tax?
Please show me some FACTS that Apple or any other American based biz's profits are higher in the EU before you make such a Ludicrous statement.

Cap't. 4gb phones are $299 while supplies last.

Just check the international Apple shops and judge for yourselves. http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/nlstore/
The cheapest mini without tax will be: 664.937 USD and the other 886.941 USD according to http://www.xe.com/ucc/ The mini's are distributed from Taiwan or some far Eastern place so, that won't make much of a difference. Import fee's? When I buy a mini in the States and bring it home in my suitcase and declare it with customs, I just pay 19% tax...
I guess this is the amount Apple needs to have it's business going in Europe. What I tried to bring across, is, that it hurts Apple in it's trying to get more marketshare over here. But they might consider themselves like Mercedes or BMW and want money for excellence, forgetting inside it's just the same stuff as in PC's! Only the case and OS is different nowadays other than for instance MB and BMW. They have their own specific designed parts, only stuff like tyres, battery, lamps are mostly universal (but not the newer LED taillights) See what I mean?
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

serpent wrote:

I'm getting tired of this, Serpent. This is the second time that you have become "Mr. Angry" based on something that I did not say (here is the first). I have no access to information regarding the EU profit margins of Apple or any other US company. I did not state that Apple's profits were higher in the EU.

DCGuy speculated that Apple were dropping prices because "$599 is a bit high for the EU". James T Kirk and I both responded with a European viewpoint that, as a quantity of money, $599 is not a high price once it has been converted into a European currency at the current exchange rates.

The reason that we Europeans roll our eyes when we go to buy Apple products is that we expect our strong currency to reduce prices. Instead, it *appears* that Apple swaps the '$' sign for a '€' sign, as there are a number of occasions when the number of dollars being asked in the US is identical to the number of Euros being asked in the EU (Good example: the cost of a song on their respective iTunes stores). While it is possible that the excise duty or import tax adds up to precisely the price difference between €435 ($599) and €599, I think it is very unlikely.

FYI Serpent, I graduated in Mechanical Engineering from one of the best universities in the UK. This means that I am a smart guy who chooses his words very carefully. If you want to disagree with something that I have said - that's fine. But I take exception when somebody loses their temper because they haven't read the words that were in front of them. Next time you want to disagree with someone, I recommend that you resist the temptation to be a smart-arse, just in case you're wrong.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say this but Apple is like Microsoft...they already have your money, so what the heck do they care!!!

Rolling Eyes

run and duck.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdawg wrote:
I hate to say this but Apple is like Microsoft...they already have your money, so what the heck do they care!!!

Both Apple and M$ want your future money too (constantly). You'll notice there are more and more subscription/renewal type services being offered by most companies daily. This is where the real money is.

We are starting to see this happen with some of the big retail chains as well. Some are beginning to offer banking, mortgages, credit cards etc. The benefit of using these intangible services is that you get some form of credit to buy their tangible goods.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone of us expect Steve Jobs to be SantaClaus? Laughing Of course, Apple is a company who wants to make profit, nothing wrong with that. I only stated that they could become more profitable when they lower the prices of the Macs IN EUROPE too. Just like the iPhones in the USA so more people might like to take the plunge! Now the majority just thinks: Macs=Expensive... Evil or Very Mad
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Starbucks is the evil empire here.

They said in the keynote that the average Starbucks customer patronizes Starbucks 18 times per month. At $5 per visit (that doesn't include your fuel cost and time) in 2 months that's 36 visits

36*$5=$180

About the cost of owning the the iPhone for the first 2 months. The only thing is those people return to Starbucks day after day and month after month.

I bet there are people sitting at Starbuck's RIGHT NOW discussing the iPhone $200 price drop Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: