123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What brands of RAM have you had luck with?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e3mw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: What brands of RAM have you had luck with? Reply with quote

I'm sure i'm only adding to the fray of the 100's of topics that are similar to this, but I did a search and couldn't come up with a clear enough answer to my question, so I'm asking it to everyone.

Everyone who has upgraded their Mini to 1GB Memory using 'Non-Apple' PC2700 RAM - What brands have worked best for you? Any issues at all? Also if possible, provide a link to a site like Newegg with the exact RAM stick that you have bought and had success with.

I'm going to upgrade my Mini's RAM this weekend and I want to get it right the first time, I don't want to spend the $ and wind up with my mini spazzing out, leaving me to RMA my order and try again.

So lets hear it, what's the best 1GB stick to throw into a Mini?
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's "Crucial" you get the right memory! Laughing
wasted

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Funny thing about Crucial, everybody seems to recommend it. Reply with quote

But I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Where I work back in 2000 we bought a group of Micron (of which Crucial is a part of) PC's (333Mhz Pentium II's) that were total pieces of crap. Every last one of them had some sort of hardware problem or other. Over half of them had to have case fans of one sort or another be replaced due to bearing issues. Several had processor or HD issues, and a couple I believe even had faulty (Crucial) RAM issues. Swore me off anything Micron/Crucial related forever. Thank God it wasn't my money and my machines and only my employer's.

FWIW, I believe I have a 1GB Samsung stick in my Mac Mini now and I've had good luck with PNY and Kingston RAM in my PCs.

All just my observations and NSHO.
aristobrat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What brands of RAM have you had luck with? Reply with quote

e3mw wrote:
Everyone who has upgraded their Mini to 1GB Memory using 'Non-Apple' PC2700 RAM - What brands have worked best for you? Any issues at all? Also if possible, provide a link to a site like Newegg with the exact RAM stick that you have bought and had success with.

Have this running in 2 of my 3 minis:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820141198
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny thing about Crucial, everybody seems to recommend Reply with quote

wasted wrote:
But I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Where I work back in 2000 we bought a group of Micron (of which Crucial is a part of) PC's (333Mhz Pentium II's) that were total pieces of crap. Every last one of them had some sort of hardware problem or other. Over half of them had to have case fans of one sort or another be replaced due to bearing issues. Several had processor or HD issues, and a couple I believe even had faulty (Crucial) RAM issues. Swore me off anything Micron/Crucial related forever. Thank God it wasn't my money and my machines and only my employer's.

FWIW, I believe I have a 1GB Samsung stick in my Mac Mini now and I've had good luck with PNY and Kingston RAM in my PCs.

All just my observations and NSHO.

I do not agree with this statement about Micron Memory at all!

I work for one of the largest private corporations in the world. I have built too many servers to count. We have literally hundreds of HP Proliant servers in service. Nearly every one of these servers shipped with either Micron or Samsung Memory. (Usually a mix of the two.) We also have a large installed base of Sun servers and they use Micron Memory extensively. My experience over the last 7 years is that Micron memory is stable, reliable, and enterprise ready period end of discussion.

Furthermore, the PowerMac G5 and the PowerBook both come directly from Apple with Micron Memory installed. The fact that Apple uses Micron in their high-end products, and that Apple recommends Crucial on their website should speak volumes as to the quality of Micron's memory.
http://guide.apple.com/action.lasso?-database=macosguide&-layout=cgi_detail&-response=/ussearch/detail.html&prodkey=53219&-search

I cannot speak about Micron PCs and I am sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with them. I suspect that Micron PCs were like most of branded PCs of that era. That is they have OEM motherboards made in Taiwan by ASUS, ABIT, etc. For example, many HP consumer PC motherboards are ASUS. While ASUS makes some great motherboards, they have also made some not so great ones. Some of the problems you describe are probably related to the motherboard, not the RAM or processor.

In addition, about 90% of IDE hard drives are made by four major manufacturers. (Again, not part of Micron.) Its not fair to blame third party disk failures on Micron any more than it is fair to blame them on HP, Dell, or Apple. We frequently have to replace disks in our servers. Disks fail and it stinks when they do, but that is just par for the course. It sounds like you were stung by a bad batch of disk drives from Micron's supplier.
fullroast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crucial, 1 GB from newegg.com
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lowest priced RAM that is guaranteed to work is your best bet.

Do this:

• Go to the memory manufacturers website and find compatible RAM part numbers.
  • Use Newegg.com to find the memory and read the reviews of users that say it works in a mini.
  • Go to Nextag, Pricegrabber, and Pricewatch to see if there is a better price from a trustworthy source.
  • Purchase the RAM

Searching here you would find that PQI, Viking, Kingston, and Crucial have all been recommended in the past. I used PQI from Newegg.com but the part# is no longer on the site, it was quite popular and works great.

This question has been asked and answered many many times, and all you will end up with is infighting on who's memory is best.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Funny thing about Crucial, everybody seems to recommend Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:

I do not agree with this statement about Micron Memory at all!

I'm in total agreeance with bsnoel. Crucial memory is one of if not the best brands of memory you can buy.
e3mw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been researching a ton at Newegg.com since i posted this topic and it seems that the PQI RAM is the best bet for a mini, almost every review for it is from a mac mini user.

EDIT: Okay here are my options. I could pay 99.00 and buy a PQI stick from Newegg and pay shipping and have it here by the end of the week, OR I could drive down to our local best buy (that opened last week Razz) and buy a 99.00 Kingston stick. Who wins the battle in PQI vs. Kingston? I think the Kingston RAM at Best Buy is their "ValueRAM" series, and I've had some friends that have had bad experiences with that series, what do you guys think?
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mr.hostility

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNY was a horror on my mini, lots of lock ups all the time. Returned and bought Crucial. Might have been a bum stick though, since my brother got the same type and it worked in his mini. Confused
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3mw wrote:
I have been researching a ton at Newegg.com since i posted this topic and it seems that the PQI RAM is the best bet for a mini, almost every review for it is from a mac mini user.

EDIT: Okay here are my options. I could pay 99.00 and buy a PQI stick from Newegg and pay shipping and have it here by the end of the week, OR I could drive down to our local best buy (that opened last week Razz) and buy a 99.00 Kingston stick. Who wins the battle in PQI vs. Kingston? I think the Kingston RAM at Best Buy is their "ValueRAM" series, and I've had some friends that have had bad experiences with that series, what do you guys think?

[rant]I have had horrible, horrible, experiences on a large scale, with kingston Value RAM. Do not walk but RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN away from Kingston Value RAM.[/rant]

Or go to Best Buy try it out and return it if it doesn't work and order from Newegg.com. If it works use it.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
castufari

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crucial is good. I bought memory to upgrade all of our printers one (HP LJ5Si). Due to some differences in the printer revisions the memory that they listed might or might not work - the crucial guy told me that. I ordered the memory (spent 5k or so on it), when it arrived I tried a stick. It didn't work. I called Crucial, the guy gave me an RMA number and his FedEx account info. This was on a Friday. He had the replacement memory shipped overnight at their expense, I had it in my hands at 9am on a Saturday morning. That memory worked.

Crucial/Micron are one big family, you can't blame their memory division if their computer division, which was trying to compete with everyone else, had issues. You can, I wouldn't, but then again I never bought a Micron box. Too pricey, never was sure what I was going to get inside. Easier to buy local whiteboxes and spec them out.
Rosso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crucial! The service was fantastic. The shipping was FREE and the RAM is quality. Crucial all the way 100% Thumbs up by me!
sut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: memory Reply with quote

kingston KTAG4333/ 1Gig
sut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: memory Reply with quote

Hynix

Part No. HYMD512646B8J
Org. x64
Vol. 2.5V
Ref. 8K Ref./4BANK
Speed D43/J
Number of DRAMs x16
Product Status Mass production

D43 : DDR400 3-3-3
J : DDR333

by the way, in my country kingston KTAG4333/ 1Gig only $128
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: