123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iTunes and gaps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sincil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: iTunes and gaps Reply with quote

OK, this is beginning to really get to me now...

I listen to a lot of mixes, and have started ripping my mix CD's with iTunes.

Now, when I play these 'mixes' thru iTunes, at the start of the next track, there will be a very small gap as iTunes flicks onto the next track. This is SO annoying, because the gaps don't appear on the original CD's, and it totally knackers the flow of the music.

Burning my Mp3's back to CD is no problem, as I can burn without the gap, but how can I get iTunes to play back from my Library without gaps?!

I have messed with iTunes prefs (crossfade etc) with no joy. HELP!
e3mw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: iTunes and gaps Reply with quote

sincil wrote:

Now, when I play these 'mixes' thru iTunes, at the start of the next track, there will be a very small gap as iTunes flicks onto the next track. This is SO annoying, because the gaps don't appear on the original CD's, and it totally knackers the flow of the music.

Burning my Mp3's back to CD is no problem, as I can burn without the gap, but how can I get iTunes to play back from my Library without gaps?!

I misread your problem, you're having probs with the gaps in your library? -- I'm not sure how you could correct that... have you made sure that your imported mp3's don't have the gap built in from importing them? Maybe your itunes put the gaps in there while importing. Check that and lemme know what you find.
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sincil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: iTunes and gaps Reply with quote

e3mw wrote:
sincil wrote:

I misread your problem, you're having probs with the gaps in your library? -- I'm not sure how you could correct that... have you made sure that your imported mp3's don't have the gap built in from importing them? Maybe your itunes put the gaps in there while importing. Check that and lemme know what you find.

No, a lot of my CD's are continuous music of about 60mins, split into say 18 tracks. There are no gaps when played back.

When I import them into itunes, it sees each 'track' as a separate song and there will always be a split second gap between each track as itunes flicks onto the next track when playing back.

Obviously, the music doesn't flow as it should, because of annoying small gaps all the way through the 60minute mix.
e3mw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 'mix' sort of like what you are talking about. One that is supposed to flow from track to track without stopping. Messing with my crossfade settings allows me to eliminate the "split second gap" but the crossfades are a bit annoying as sometimes you can tell that obviously two tracks are being mixed together. Maybe someone here knows how to tweak the crossfade options to make it work perfectly, but i'm ok with the crossfades for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SStreet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, the default settings in iTunes should have you flowing between tracks with about 1 second of overlap. I use iTunes to trim all the "dead air" from the begining and end of each MP3/AAC I have in my library. Yes it is time consuming, but once you get in the habit of "Fixing" this each time you import/download new music - its takes no time at all.

Mac Mini 1.42GHz, 1G, 80G/4200RPM
e3mw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a pretty in-depth tutorial on playing mixes "gapless" on ipods...

http://gapless.itunes.wanderingfocus.com/
hopefully it helps
slickrick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3mw wrote:
this is a pretty in-depth tutorial on playing mixes "gapless" on ipods...

http://gapless.itunes.wanderingfocus.com/
hopefully it helps

Good article, but that seems like a lot of work!
e3mw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought so myself, I wouldn't fool with it personally, the gaps don't bother me that much Wink
sincil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have found a (kind of) satisfactory solution.

1) Turn off auto import from CD's
2) Insert CD and browse to CD in iTunes
3) Select all tracks
4) Goto Advanced Menu and select 'Join CD Tracks'
5) Now import.

OK, now the CD will just be one long track (no info about the separate songs in itunes) BUT it plays the whole CD as it should - with no gaps between the defined tracks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: