123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Screens - matte or glossy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you like your Macs with a matte or a glossy screen?
Matte
78%
 78%  [ 29 ]
Glossy
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 37

castaway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
Laptop matte. Desktop, possibly glossy.

I would prefer it the other way around. A desktop is more stationary and would be hard to move away from a light source. And you should see the way sunlight travels across my room during the day. It's never the same. The new iMac would probably be a nightmare in this room. A laptop, on the other hand, would be easy to move away from the light. I could even leave the room with it. Smile
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a change to see the new iMac today. I must say that I like the screen it looked very nice. To me it doesn't look glossy. It looks more like a very nice LCD screen with a piece of quality plastic on top. I gave it a few pokes and you can't squish the liquid crystal so this is great for when people insist on poking the screen when they point at things.

Now the plastic is pretty reflective. The store that I was in had about 400 sq. ft. of window to my back. This did cause the screen to be quite reflective but still extremely readable. I can't see a home environment ever being as bad as this so I have to say that I like the new glossy display.

I would not hesitate to purchase the new iMac based on the glossy display.

I also thought the new keyboards are quite nice. The space bar does feel a little different than the rest of the keys. I never got to see the wireless version.

I also gave the new iMac a listen. The fan seems quieter than the previous version and the placement of the fan is on the back in the middle.

I think the new iMacs are going to be hot sellers. When it comes time for me to buy a new machine, I will seriously have to consider if I just want to upgrade my mini or go with an iMac. BTW I have a 20" Apple Cinema Display, so I would be sacrificing a beautiful matte monitor as my primary display to go with a glossy AIO.
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt - most definitely, although I work mainly int he dark.
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: