123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros iWork '08
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Apple Intros iWork '08 Reply with quote

Apple Intros iWork '08
Tuesday, August 7, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today introduced iWork '08, a significant upgrade to Apple's productivity software suite featuring new versions of Pages and Keynote word processing and presentation applications, and introducing an innovative new spreadsheet application called "Numbers". Numbers introduces the concept of intelligent tables on a flexible canvas, a new approach that makes it easy to organize information, create calculations, analyze results and make spreadsheets look as great as they work. Pages '08 now features distinct modes for streamlined word processing and flexible page layout, a new contextual format bar and change tracking, and Keynote '08 now includes text effects, transitions and themes that help users easily compose spectacular presentations, and Smart Builds with easy-to-set-up A-to-B animations that make impressive animations easy for anyone to create. iWork '08 is priced at $79.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/712.html
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like we have been talking about Numbers for years. Now that it's here all I can say is wow. What a beautiful looking application. Office 2008 better impress me, or I'm going back to using iWork.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I amazed by iWork '08? Let's just say that I've just watched the demos with my chin resting on my keyboard. Shocked
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Am I amazed by iWork '08? Let's just say that I've just watched the demos with my chin resting on my keyboard. Shocked

You could almost say the "Wow" starts here. Wink

It looks most impressive.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean Numbers looks like a cross between a spreadsheet app and Quark Xpress. I've never seen anything like it.

I'll give my local Apple dealer a call tomorrow and see when he's getting a delivery.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've just called Jennings in Scarborough and not only do they not know when iWork will be arriving, but they can't even find this out because they have no part number for the product.

I'll just have to leave it for a few days and call again. Sad
offa_broadway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To hell with Office, even the '08 version. This is the thing that amazes me about Apple; how many versions of iWork have there been? Three? Numbers is in it's first iteration, and look at that thing! MicroSuck releases a new Office every three years, throws a few hidden features at the program that most people won't use, changes the interface a bit, and then asks you for another $350.

And everybody thought Apple was burning through all it's development cash on the iPhone. Pshaw. AppleWorks' sequel is finally ready, and it looks sweet. I especially like the format bar on Pages, which I use for most of my word processing. And Office XML compatible? Who needs Office?

Very Happy You might say I'm impressed. I'll picking this up as soon as I can get my hands on it, to upgrade my iWork '06.

MacBook Core2Duo 2.0/1Gb Superdrive
MacMini CoreDuo 1.66/Superdrive - Sold
Logitech Z4-i Sound System
iPod Nano 1Gb, Black
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple has an iWork '08 Trial up for download. I haven't installed it yet, but perhaps later today I will.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
Apple has an iWork '08 Trial up for download. I haven't installed it yet, but perhaps later today I will.

Well spotted CC - I'm afraid that the UK site doesn't offer the trial. I'll assume from this that UK users get a different version from you guys.

I suppose that after the 30 days is up, you could purchase an authorisation code from the site to carry on using it. I'm not sure how attractive this offer is; for the same price someone could buy the s/w on disc and get a user manual.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap!!

iWork wants me to have 10.4.10 installed. I spent ass load of time reverting back to 10.4.9.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
Crap!!

iWork wants me to have 10.4.10 installed. I spent ass load of time reverting back to 10.4.9.

10.4.10, it's just the gift that keeps giving, isn't it? Mad

I just started to download the trial, and it's really slow going. Guess I'll have to let it run over night.
berno

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the trial version of iWork'08 on my G4 Mac Mini with 1GB Ram and Mac OS X 10.4.10

I notice that on all three of the applications there are two "HELP" menus.

The first Help menu works correctly but the second menu has only one item e.g. "Keynote Help" and when selected just brings up a blank help window.

I have sent feedback to Apple but just wondered if anyone else has this problem?
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berno wrote:
I notice that on all three of the applications there are two "HELP" menus.

I doubt that is normal. I would try trashing all of the .plist files that are associated with iWork. Thrashing the com.apple.iWork08.plist file should at least give you a fresh start (wink, wink, nod, nod). Wink
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple's servers that are serving up the iWork '08 Trial must be really busy. My download has timed out twice.
berno

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
I would try trashing all of the .plist files that are associated with iWork.

Thanks for that. Smile

I have now tried deleting all the .plist files and restarting my MacMini.

Unfortunately it hasn't solved the problem. Sad There are still two help menus in all the iWork'08 applications.

Has anyone else got this problem?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: