123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros New Keyboards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New Keyboard Reply with quote

new_mac_guy wrote:
Looks (key spacing) like the old Radio Shack Color Computer "Chicklet" keyboard that everyone was keen to replace with a more standard type board.

Exhibit "A", m'lud: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:TRS-80_Color_Computer_1.jpg
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Keyboard Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Exhibit "A", m'lud: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:TRS-80_Color_Computer_1.jpg

Those keys were really spread out in relation to their size. I remember that computer quite well.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: New Keyboard Reply with quote

curt wrote:
JohnnyBoy wrote:

Those keys were really spread out in relation to their size. I remember that computer quite well.

Great for blogging while drunk Smile
splen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: New Keyboard Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Great for blogging while drunk Smile

The macbook keyboard is pretty good there too! Check out my last post in this very thread, only a couple of typos, not too bad considering I have no recollection whatsoever of writing it! Razz
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: New Keyboard Reply with quote

splen wrote:
The macbook keyboard is pretty good there too! Check out my last post in this very thread, only a couple of typos, not too bad considering I have no recollection whatsoever of writing it! Razz

You gave the game away, Splen, when you wrote that we were your best mates and emphasised how much you "bloody-well loved" us. Very Happy
aj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one of these (wired version) 24 hours now, and I have to say it's an absolute pleasure to use.

Your wrists are flat on the desk when you use it, it just feels like you're typing on the desk, there's very little if any wrist strain.

Also the play control keys along the top are a great bonus.

The keys feel very positive and it just feels great when typing on.

Despite it's small size, as it's made of metal it's heavy enough that there's no loss of stability.

It's funny how something so inexpensive can really improve your computing experience!
DCGuy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its basicly a laptop keyboard, without the laptop Laughing
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj wrote:
I've had one of these (wired version) 24 hours now, and I have to say it's an absolute pleasure to use.

Excellent! I have a stupid little question. Approximately how long is the USB cable? I know the USB cable on the Mighty Mouse is crazy short.
DCGuy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about the same, but there is an extension cable included.
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCGuy wrote:

Thanks, I didn't know that. I need about 5-6ft of cable to comfortably reach my Mac mini. Will the extension do?
aj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCGuy wrote:
its basicly a laptop keyboard, without the laptop Laughing

That's the wireless one, the wired one has the full keyset. It's also much thinner than any laptop I've seen.
DCGuy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinshaw wrote:
DCGuy wrote:

Thanks, I didn't know that. I need about 5-6ft of cable to comfortably reach my Mac mini. Will the extension do?

Um, dont think so.

apple extension cord is small, but you can get non-apple ext. cord
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj wrote:

Your wrists are flat on the desk when you use it, it just feels like you're typing on the desk, there's very little if any wrist strain.

Except for people like me, who need to use a foam wrist rest. Without it my wrist will start to hurt in a few hours.

But that new keyboard is so thin, the wrist rest means the keyboard is now lower than my fingers when I use it. I'll have to elevate it back to the level of my old Apple keyboard. I didn't buy this new keyboard because it's thin, I bought it for the aluminum look and the laptop keys. Cool

Am I the only one having problems with the keyboard being too thin?
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
But that new keyboard is so thin, the wrist rest means the keyboard is now lower than my fingers when I use it. I'll have to elevate it back to the level of my old Apple keyboard.

To be honest Yvan, I have a Logitech ergonomic k/b, and I 'jack up' the wrist rest so that the space bar is slightly higher than the function keys. I find this incredibly comfortable. If you're curious, just put a rolled-up t-shirt underneath the edge of the keyboard that's nearest to you.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Am I the only one having problems with the keyboard being too thin?

I don't own one, but I thought it felt great in the store. But you're talking to someone with a pretty flat Logitech. I would try raising the front edge of the keyboard with some little rubber pads or something. A 1/4" lift might make a world of difference. This is similar to what JohnnyBoy suggested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: