123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definately waiting for Leopard also. Plus I'm not buying the low end, but the high end, even with this price (we have the same amount in Euro's here!)
splen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a base model core duo about a week before the update! Laughing
I am getting pretty good at that now, I remember I got my old G4 mini about a week before the switch to intel chips too!
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splen wrote:
I am getting pretty good at that now, I remember I got my old G4 mini about a week before the switch to intel chips too!

Well why the heck didn't you buy a few months ago so we could have gotten this update done with sooner??? Laughing
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
splen wrote:

Well why the heck didn't you buy a few months ago so we could have gotten this update done with sooner??? Laughing

ROFL! Laughing Laughing Laughing
jtfolden

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
What? I'm not a student, I'm an anti-AIO 30-something Mac user. To be honest, even the CD minis have enough where it counts. I really wish this stereotype of the mini only being good enough for email and surfing would stop. It sure handles everything that I throw at.

Exactly, I have a top of the line 1.66 and have never had a problem with it. It's an extremely capable machine that runs everything I need. Hell, it may be one of the slower systems Apple is selling today but that doesn't mean it's SLOW. It's faster than many G5 systems.
Russell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, to make it official, I created a post for my question. Just FYI... Smile

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=92714#92714
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell wrote:
Okay, to make it official, I created a post for my question. Just FYI... Smile

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=92714#92714

Funny, was my vote the second? Laughing
lojo00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Hell, it may be one of the slower systems Apple is selling today but that doesn't mean it's SLOW. It's faster than many G5 systems.

Agreed. I have 720p h.264 rips of Rescue Me that play just fine on my CD Mini (a rare stutter here and there, but I attribute that to an I/O issue playing them off of an external FireWire HD. But my Dual G5 workstation can't handle them at all.

Now, I just need to find out if it's worth it to upgrade my CD to a C2D 2Ghz myself. Is it still exactly the same at the motherboard level? i.e. no new faster chipset or anything.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not mine lojo00, but I totally agree with the comment.

lojo00 wrote:
Now, I just need to find out if it's worth it to upgrade my CD to a C2D 2Ghz myself.

I was going to do the upgrade this fall, but now I'm tempted to buy the 2.0GHz mini from Apple. The prices on C2D chips are staying about the same month after month on Newegg. I think that I would rather put that $200-$300 towards a completely new system at this point. I could then take this 1.66GHz mini and hook it up to my plasma in the family room. Smile
cfhayback

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many, I had been eagerly awaiting the "new" Mac Mini for months. I had pressing needs at my business for a new POP machine setup. I wanted to wait for the processor update (whick thankfully happened), but was hoping for some other bumps as well. I bought a new machine the day they were released, and it is now in service, working away, and I am even writing this post on the machine. It is GREAT! it is noticably faster than my other mini, and I am happy I waited, but also that I leaped... To anyone wanting that little extra from the mini platform (and because space saving compactness IS a major issue for my application, I love the Minis) do not hesitate. No 802.11n... bummer. And there are other things I'd hoped would be updated/upgraded... but i'ts hard to argue with the Mini as is... a brilliantly designed computer.
Prediction... look for the Mac Nano in the near future...
minis
condra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most people buy the Mini as an inexpensive little Mac terminal to stick in the kid's bedroom, or in the den without much space, etc etc. It's not aimed at being your only desktop, unless you're of the student type.

Graphic design, film editing etc aside, the mini is perfectly capable as a "professional" workstation in many vocations.

Professionals, only a few years ago were running offices, programming software, making websites, recording albums etc on grossly inferior machines, which cost three times as much, and took up a lot more space.

Perhaps it is not "aimed" at being somebodys only desktop, but thats how it is for plenty of people.

Like many people, I'd love to see something between a macmini and a macpro, perhaps the return of the cube, but I choose the mini over the pro because it makes more economic sense.

The whole "its fine for emails and light use" thing annoys me, because it is false.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

condra wrote:
The whole "its fine for emails and light use" thing annoys me, because it is false.

Your not the only one that's annoyed by that. Many people here don't agree with that either. Mad
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
condra wrote:

Your not the only one that's annoyed by that. Many people here don't agree with that either. Mad

2x
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
condra wrote:

I remember when I was in computer sales and the G3's came out. People figured they would be able to take over the world with that kind of power. Now machines that are 10X+ more powerful are apparently only capable of email and word processing.

It's funny how people perceptions change as technology changes.

I'm still content with my G4 mini. I use it for GIMP (freeware almost equivalent to photoshop) and lots of other intensive stuff. Just converting a DVD to a compressed file format requires an enormous amount of processing power. My G4 has no issues. Sure the new models can do it quicker, but really there is nothing (within reason) that my G4 mini can not handle.
KonaJoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sure the new models can do it quicker, but really there is nothing (within reason) that my G4 mini can not handle.

Agreed. My CoreDuo does everything I ask of it, from Office 2004 (including Visio 2003 via CrossOverMac), to games, music, & photos.

They're right about one thing..It does email well, too Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: