123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I'm going to hold tight until Leopard is released before I make a purchase decision. I'm sure we will see a lot of people buying now and others that can hold tight for 2-3 more months.

There's nothing wrong with that plan. I've also decided to hang onto the G4 Mac mini instead of selling it. My plans are to use it as a headless file and music server. I thought about selling it on eBay, but the bids coming in for the 1.25GHz model seem pretty low.
iLife's a Bitch!
billmeade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: What is the *REAL* maximum RAM? Reply with quote

The stats say that the new mini has a max of 2 gigs of RAM. Has anyone tried 3 or 4 gig? I'm totally happy moving from a dual G5 2ghz with 4 gig of ram to a Macbook Pro with 4 gig of ram. Would love to see 4 gig max in the Mini.
gigaguy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Mini was just announced yesterday and shipping looks sluggish.
no one has one.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the *REAL* maximum RAM? Reply with quote

billmeade wrote:
The stats say that the new mini has a max of 2 gigs of RAM. Has anyone tried 3 or 4 gig? I'm totally happy moving from a dual G5 2ghz with 4 gig of ram to a Macbook Pro with 4 gig of ram. Would love to see 4 gig max in the Mini.

This is something we've mulled over quite a bit on this website - have a look at this thread: http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13487
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offa_broadway wrote:
Most people buy the Mini as an inexpensive little Mac terminal to stick in the kid's bedroom, or in the den without much space, etc etc. It's not aimed at being your only desktop, unless you're of the student type.

I'd like to know your reasoning for this. pmcd already said a lot about this, so I'm not going to say much more. I just find that a bit surprising coming from a Mini user. I would think a statement like that would be from someone who has never used one and doesn't know what they're about. Of course, they're not a Pro, but they don't come with that pricetag either and they aren't meant to be. I do agree with what most others on here have said that they are a great little machine with a lot of potential for a good price.

I am currently testing my desktop Mini in htpc mode. There will be another Mini to take its place real soon and I will then have two Minis - one desktop and one htpc. And yes they will be my only Macs besides a ti Powerbook and no I am not a student.
Scarpad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy this snuck in. I'm a bit dissapointed with what the $799 gets you, I still am using a PPC Mini, I think they reakky needed to update both the wireless and video capabilities. I was thinking of getting a macbook come christmas And I still think that's a better buy right now over the New Mini.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offa_broadway wrote:
Most people buy the Mini as an inexpensive little Mac terminal to stick in the kid's bedroom, or in the den without much space, etc etc. It's not aimed at being your only desktop, unless you're of the student type. That's what the iMac is for.

You're forgetting about a lot of facts while saying this.

Not everyone likes AIO designs. Not everyone wants a laptop. And the Mac Pro is way too expensive.

That leaves us with the one choice: Mac mini.

We also have the price to take into account. The Mac mini (649$CAD) is half the price of the iMac (1299$CAD) or the MacBook (1249$CAD). For switchers who already have their monitor, keyboard and mouse, the Mac mini is the only option.

And now that I have switched, I plan to continue to use my current monitor, keyboard and mouse with my new Mac mini Core 2 Duo, once I buy one (I'm just waiting for Leopard).
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the mini isn't aimed at being you primary computer, but lots of us are using it as a primary computer. I am. If there was something between the Mac Pro and the Mac mini that would become my primary machine.

I'm almost inclined to give into AIO and buy an iMac as my next machine. Heck they're getting so good and so affordable that AIO becomes less of an issue with each update.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I agree that the mini isn't aimed at being you primary computer, but lots of us are using it as a primary computer. I am. If there was something between the Mac Pro and the Mac mini that would become my primary machine.

I'm almost inclined to give into AIO and buy an iMac as my next machine. Heck they're getting so good and so affordable that AIO becomes less of an issue with each update.

Until your screen gets defect... Shocked
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
Until your screen gets defect... Shocked

That's why Applecare is nice. Plus it's only $170 on iMacs.

I have to say, I got to play with one of the 24" iMacs today at work (newest revision), and they're phenomenal. The glass screen is nice, and the aluminum looks very classy as compared to the previous white plastic. I don't think I'm a huge fan of the black back, but who stares at the rear of a machine?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the purchase transaction is on my VISA I get an extra year of warranty through VISA. That 2 Years warranty. By then I typically upgrade to a new system.

The argument about individual items becoming defective hold less water as the price of AIO machines come down.

Honestly now I'm at the point with my stand alone components are so big bulky and cumbersome that I wonder if they may not get more use if they were all in one.

example. I'm not going to set up a big ass 17" 10 year old CRT system with speakers etc. up in my garage, but if it was 17" iMac I'd do it for sure and use it for manuals, internet, music etc.
Russell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: if you are getting a new Mini, how many of you are planning on waiting for the release of Leopard and how many of you are biting the bullet and getting yours now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell wrote:
Question: if you are getting a new Mini, how many of you are planning on waiting for the release of Leopard and how many of you are biting the bullet and getting yours now?

This sounds like a good poll question Smile I have an older G4 mini so I for sure won't be buying a new system until Leopard is released. I wish Apple didn't have to tease me with the new iLife suite Smile I'd certainly like to start using iLife '08 today. As a package though iLife '08 and Leopard work out to be about $225 CDN worth of software, to me it's certainly worth waiting 3 months for that kind of money. Leopard will be $150 CDN.
Doug

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for Leopard before buying my mini. Why spend the money now and then fork out another $130 in about 60 days. Makes now economic sense unless you have to buy now. As for me my MDD G4 is chugging along just fine.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I would buy now is if I didn't have a Mac. If you told me you would give me $130 to use a PC for 3 months I'd laugh and refuse the money Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: