123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros New iMac
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:

Not for desktops anytime soon. I think Steve was just trying to spin it his way, because he knows that there is a movement brewing for more headless Macs. Plus, it was the iMac that really brought him back to prominence. What's he going to say? As for myself, I don't feel compelled to dip back into the all-in-one pond again. And to be honest, the new iMac should really be seen as a revision A product again. The Mac mini, on the other hand, has been tried and tested for a lot longer now. That's why I decided to buy another one.

Same here, but I'll wait it out for Leopard, can't actually wait, but have to!! Laughing Time to consider the 1.83 or the 2.0 model... Anybody has a viewpoint to this? (apart from the bigger disc and DVD burner) How much faster is the 2.0 against the 1.83?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
Still, it's an all in one machine and whatever Jobs thinks "this is an all-in-one world", I don't buy that for computers!

It is an all in one world. We can blame the calculator watch for starting it all Smile

As much as some people will fight AIO's it is the way of the present and future. The lower manufacturing costs get, the more this will become the case. I could argue this point all day.

I myself like individual items that are superior at individual functions, but as products get better and prices come down, AIO gains favor. I was just looking at my old computer boxes last night. $1000 Canadian sticker on the side of a 17" CRT monitor. Would I take a 20" glossy iMac over that today for $1000, of course.

Unfortunately Steve is right, whether we like it or not. AIO's currently dominate the market and things will continue down this path.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

It is an all in one world. We can blame the calculator watch for starting it all Smile

As much as some people will fight AIO's it is the way of the present and future. The lower manufacturing costs get, the more this will become the case. I could argue this point all day.

I myself like individual items that are superior at individual functions, but as products get better and prices come down, AIO gains favor. I was just looking at my old computer boxes last night. $1000 Canadian sticker on the side of a 17" CRT monitor. Would I take a 20" glossy iMac over that today for $1000, of course.

Unfortunately Steve is right, whether we like it or not. AIO's currently dominate the market and things will continue down this path.

AIO's dominate the market? Not for computers (98% PC's) that's for sure. It might be true for laptops and other items...
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

AIO's dominate the market? Not for computers (98% PC's) that's for sure. It might be true for laptops and other items...

The AIO reference is towards all consumer electronic devices.
idave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the iMac in person for the first time last night. The new case looks great in person, but that screen is just too glossy for me. It's really a shame. The keyboard on the other hand, is out of this world. I really want one bad.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:

You really HAVE to consider laptops in the mix. Look at all the "desktop replacement" laptops available that sell like hotcakes. AIO's DO dominate the market...and the laptop is the ultimate AIO.

It is disingenuous when people get on their soap box (not you) and rip on AIO's and then sheepishly say "aside from my laptop, I'd NEVER buy one".
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:

You really HAVE to consider laptops in the mix. Look at all the "desktop replacement" laptops available that sell like hotcakes. AIO's DO dominate the market...and the laptop is the ultimate AIO.

It is disingenuous when people get on their soap box (not you) and rip on AIO's and then sheepishly say "aside from my laptop, I'd NEVER buy one".

OK, you're right for laptops, off course how else could it be anyway, still if we're talking about desktops, the separates dominate as apart from Apple just a few make kinda AIO's
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
iMav wrote:

OK, you're right for laptops, off course how else could it be anyway, still if we're talking about desktops, the separates dominate as apart from Apple just a few make kinda AIO's

The comment Steve Jobs made about AIO's was about consumer electronics industry in general. He used phones and laptops as examples of AIO devices. There are 100's of additional examples.

Apple is skating to where the puck is going, not to where it is at. Profit margins aside this is why the iMac gets so much attention from Apple.
SRoberts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
I saw the iMac in person for the first time last night. The new case looks great in person, but that screen is just too glossy for me. It's really a shame. The keyboard on the other hand, is out of this world. I really want one bad.

My friend bought one of the new iMacs. The glare isn't bad when the colors on the screen are light. But it's definitely another story with dark colors. They basically turn the screen into a mirror. When you're in a room with a light source, it's very annoying. I think he is going to be returning his for a Mac Pro. Lucky SOB!
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As your friend has mentioned when dark colours are displayed the refelection is worse and when it drops to a black screen, such as when you put into into sleep mode, it is like looking into a mirror.

I've ended up turning the brightness right up to full for normal use, not surprisingly this was the factory default setting when I first turned on the iMAC. I've found the display is ok for me but my room is quite a dull room but even then I find I'm still getting a reflection off one of the windows.

I am still thinking about whether to ask for arefund as I'm very concerned about what it would be like if I was to ever move rooms.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Apple is skating to where the puck is going, not to where it is at. Profit margins aside this is why the iMac gets so much attention from Apple.

No denying your Canadian Very Happy .

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

"I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been" (Something like that)

-Wayne Gretzky
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take note that Steve Jobs is talking about consumer electronics NOT professional products. Professionals tend to want and need stand alone components and that is why the Mac Pro is in it's current form factor.

Now there are many people who are in the mindset that "consumer" computers should be in stand alone individual pieces. However this mindset is changing and for many people it has already changed.

I started selling computer in 1995. Even by the year 2000 I had seen drastic changes in people attitudes towards integration. The majority of people using computers for 1995 and prior were typically "geeks".

When the flavored iMacs came out people went nuts over them. I never had one person even comment about the AIO design.

How many people today (not us geeks) even ask what brand the video or audio components are in a computer. Heck I don't even know what the sound chipset for my mini is and I don't care. Previously (years ago) I won't have even considered buying a computer unless I specked out each component and built the thing myself.

Long enough rant. I think I've made my point over the past 1/2 dozen posts Smile
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: well Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Take note that Steve Jobs is talking about consumer electronics NOT professional products. Professionals tend to want and need stand alone components and that is why the Mac Pro is in it's current form factor.

Now there are many people who are in the mindset that "consumer" computers should be in stand alone individual pieces. However this mindset is changing and for many people it has already changed.

I started selling computer in 1995. Even by the year 2000 I had seen drastic changes in people attitudes towards integration. The majority of people using computers for 1995 and prior were typically "geeks".

When the flavored iMacs came out people went nuts over them. I never had one person even comment about the AIO design.

How many people today (not us geeks) even ask what brand the video or audio components are in a computer. Heck I don't even know what the sound chipset for my mini is and I don't care. Previously (years ago) I won't have even considered buying a computer unless I specked out each component and built the thing myself.

Long enough rant. I think I've made my point over the past 1/2 dozen posts Smile

I would be in the geek boat, but in 1995 I was 3 years old Very Happy , but now I would never buy a PC in store unless it's a laptop since those can't really be self built easily and expect it to be reasonably priced (would love to get a Pentium dual core laptop with 1GB RAM 80GB+ HDD for around $500 just for Ubuntu). With Macs only professionals or individuals with enough money can really buy the Mac Pro so you are forced to settle which is good for the company as far as making compatible software, but the consumer can't get exactly what they want.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
As your friend has mentioned when dark colours are displayed the refelection is worse and when it drops to a black screen, such as when you put into into sleep mode, it is like looking into a mirror

Macworld basically came to the same conclusion as you guys.

Quote:
The monitor’s high level of reflectivity means that if your iMac is set up in a place with a lot of light, the display can act very much like a mirror—especially where the screen is dark or black, say, when you’re watching a letterboxed movie or looking at a black and white image. Some people may find the glossy screen distracting, especially since the 20- and 24-inch displays are bigger than anything you’ll find in Apple’s MacBook line.

http://www.macworld.com/2007/08/reviews/aluminumimac/index.php

I think it was a mistake for Apple to use a glossy screen on the iMac. They are obviously a dividing issue with users, and it could possibly lead to a decline in sales. I guess time will tell on this one. I just know that I'll be living in an antiglare world for the foreseeable future.
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: