123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my new gig of ram :)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevnin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: my new gig of ram :) Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I just put in my new gig stick of PQI power series ram (up from apple 512). Interesting notes on the installation:

The ram slot is annoying to get to without removing the brick that holds the dvd-rom and everything, but i managed to get the ram out without touching the block of stuff, even though there was that metal clip in the way.

My apple 512 stick was pc3200, but with a CAS latency of 3.0

I used a flat metal spatula that usually is used for flipping burgers, and it worked fine after borrowing my friend's extra hands to pull apart with his hands (in order to expose any crack at all)

Now, I can happily run all my apps at once!
Before with 512, it would get sluggish when i had all the following apps open at once (though it handled it OK):
Firefox (multiple windows/tabs were the problem with that one)
Thunderbird
Adium
iTunes
aMule

I have since switched to Apple mail, and can run all of that plus photoshop, acquisition, and dreamweaver so I never have to quit any apps (Thank you PQI).

I am very happy with the performance increase, but I will say that I could have survived without the gig.

In other news, that 512 stick won't work in my PC because it was 3200 instead of 2700 Sad
e3mw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Very Happy

Where did you purchase your RAM? Just curious.
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: my new gig of ram :) Reply with quote

kevnin wrote:
My apple 512 stick was pc3200, but with a CAS latency of 3.0

In other news, that 512 stick won't work in my PC because it was 3200 instead of 2700 Sad

Speed of ram only matters when trying to run slower RAM on a faster bus. there are other factors involved as to why memory doesn't work.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheModWiki.org

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ram should work in your pc.... i'm using my 256 apple hynix ddr400 in a rig that uses DDR333 along with 2 other 256mb ddr333 sticks and it works great

you can run anything faster than the spec needed just fine... its when you run say ddr333 @ ddr400 that you will run into problems
Maxtor 300GB Ext. FW
Pioneer DVR-K05 SD

www.PaulStamatiou.com , 9rules Network
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheModWiki.org wrote:
the ram should work in your pc.... i'm using my 256 apple hynix ddr400 in a rig that uses DDR333 along with 2 other 256mb ddr333 sticks and it works great

you can run anything faster than the spec needed just fine... its when you run say ddr333 @ ddr400 that you will run into problems

Some manufacturers such as Compaq like to play games and put obscure ram in their machines, so it is very posssible it won't work.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kevnin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered my ram from Newegg. It wasn't supposed to arrive til tomorrow at 4:30. It got here at 11 am today. Very impressive

As far as my PC goes, I had some things mixed up in my head. I thought my motherboard only supported pc2700 and below. apparently not, and while the two ram sticks might not get along too well... (the apple stick has a higher latency... not sure which way performance is going to go) well it works and i have a gig of ram in both rigs now Smile
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC3200 will work in a PC2700 system, it will clock down to the lower speed. Some systems can be touchy about mixing the two speeds together, but that's pretty rare.
kevnin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya well it clearly works, but the latencies are what i'm worried about most. Am I correct to assume that since the apple stick had a CAS of 3, the other stick's latency will be bumped to 3 as well? Or will this just cause some strange issues?
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most newer motherboards adjust to the lesser chip. You should be fine.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
kevnin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am curious though, to see if the extra ram helps the PC, i mean i don't use it at all. I am worried more that the higher latency will slow down my sytem because I never had a problem with it at 512... oh well we'll see i guess.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the system goes batty and was stable before you'll know why. Yank her out! Wink
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevnin wrote:
i am curious though, to see if the extra ram helps the PC, i mean i don't use it at all. I am worried more that the higher latency will slow down my sytem because I never had a problem with it at 512... oh well we'll see i guess.

Your stick of Apple RAM was CAS3.0, right? If you through this in a system with less latencies, it'll all run at the highest latency. On this note, if you maxed out a PC and then went from high latency 3-5-5-8 to 2-2-2-5 RAM, you would only notice a couple FPS of difference. Maybe a max in the teens depending on the program.

If you're system's stable, I don't think you'd notice the loss in performance.

If you're wondering if your Mini is running your new stick of RAM, that I assume is 2.5 from how you phrased your first post, at CAS3.0, I would believe it, though I'm sure it's probably running at 2.5 if it is rated for that speed. Macs don't seem to use anything faster than 2.5 to any advantage as far as I have read. Either way, it's pretty much a non-issue, as there are chokepoints far more restricting that that.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
kevnin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i don't really know of the windows box is stable or not... i dont use it lol. Next time i want to play a game other than UT04, or possibly use MS Visio, i'll fire it up and let you know how it works Razz.

after hanging at the welcome screen for a minute when i booted it up, it seemed fine, and did recognize all the ram. here's hoping
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download the bootable cd of Memtest86 and run it for a while.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prime95 is really the test to see if a computer is stable. It calculates Pi and includes a Torture Test mode or something of the sorts, I used it a long time ago. It's effective at testing both CPU and memory stability very well. Let that run for a couple hours and, if no errors, you're stable.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: