123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elgato Intros HDHomeRun for Mac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Elgato Intros HDHomeRun for Mac Reply with quote

Elgato Intros HDHomeRun for Mac
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Posted by: Brian

Elgato Systems today announced an exclusive Mac-compatible bundle of the SiliconDust HDHomeRun network TV tuner with its EyeTV 2 software. According to the company, the HDHomeRun hardware is a unique centralized networked digital TV tuner that can be shared by any Mac on a LAN. Its dual tuners allow two users to watch or record different programs at the same time. The HDHomeRun tunes ATSC (over-the-air) digital TV via an antenna, as well as unencrypted digital channels over cable (known as Clear QAM). This allows users to enjoy the wide range of free SD and HDTV programs, which are broadcast on digital TV and cable.

The HDHomeRun for Mac is available immediately, for $199.95, exclusively in the Elgato Online Shop. The package includes the HDHomeRun dual-tuner network device, EyeTV 2 software for two computers, two RG6 cables, an Ethernet cable and AC power adapter.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/695.html
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds pretty cool. My only concern is that it might slow down my network.
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like an interesting product, but I think I would rather have the EyeTV Hybrid.
Dano

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever connected one of these to their MacMini? What benefits are there to using this product vs the Elgato Hybrid?
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dano wrote:
Has anyone ever connected one of these to their MacMini? What benefits are there to using this product vs the Elgato Hybrid?

I could be wrong, but I don't think Elgato offers the HDHomeRun anymore. What was the benefit? You could share the tuner over your network. I think it also had a built-in hardware enconder. That's really about it.
Dano

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply. I think you're right...I'm not able to find it on Elgato's site.
zen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dano wrote:

I have never used one but I know its for sharing a cable tv connection over a computer network. With the Hybrid you would only be able to share already recorded items over the network and not live tv.

Also the Home Run comes with 2 licensed copied of the EyeTV software vs. the Hybrids 1.

One thing that I do not know that would be good to know is if the Home Run has hardware encoding like the EyeTV 250 and 250 Plus do. The Hybrid does not have its own hardware encoding so it used a lot more of the Macs CPU than the 250 would. An example of this is that to use a Hybrid you would need a faster mac since it would need to use its CPU to encode/decode the video. A 250 or 250+ will work on a G4 500 since it has its own hardware encoding but the Hybrid needs at least a dual G5 and I think an intel is recommended.

If it has hardware encoding then its a great deal for 200.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: