123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NewerTech Lowers Prices on miniStack Line
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: NewerTech Lowers Prices on miniStack Line Reply with quote

NewerTech Lowers Prices on miniStack Line
Thursday, September 7, 2006

NewerTech today announced new prices for its line of miniStack USB and miniStack V2 FireWire external hard drive storage solutions. "Add Your Own Hard Drive" kits are available from $54.95. Both the NewerTech miniStack USB2 and the miniStack V2 solutions add flexibility and connectivity options while increasing hard drive space and decreasing desk/cord clutter in an unobtrusive 6.5 x 6.5 x 1.5 footprint. All NewerTech storage solutions utilize an Oxford Chipset on a custom bridge for optimum performance, and are backed by a 2-year warranty.

Price reductions on NewerTech miniStack V2 FireWire + USB2 Solutions are:
- 80GB 7200RPM w/2MB Buffer (was $124.99), now $119.99
- 160GB 7200RPM w/8MB Buffer now $139.99
- 250GB 7200RPM w/16MB Buffer (was $167.99), now $159.99
- 320GB 7200RPM w/16MB Buffer (was $195.00), now $189.99
- 400GB 7200RPM w/16MB Buffer (was $279.99), now $269.99
- 500GB 7200RPM w/16MB Buffer now $295.00
- 750GB 7200RPM w/16MB Buffer (was $539.99), now $499.99
- 0GB Add Your Own Hard Drive Kit, now $74.95

Price reductions on NewerTech miniStack USB2 Solutions are:
- 80GB 7200RPM w/2MB Buffer (was $109.99), now $99.99
- 160GB 7200RPM w/8MB Buffer (was $127.99), now $119.99
- 250GB 7200RPM w/16MB Buffer (was $159.99), now $149.99
- 320GB 7200RPM w/16MB Buffer (was $179.00), now $175.00
- 400GB 7200RPM w/16MB Buffer (was $269.99), now $249.99
- 500GB 7200RPM w/16MB Buffer now $279.99
- 0GB Add Your Own Hard Drive Kit, now $54.95

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/525.html

Last edited by admin on Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One could already get the FW miniStack v2 case for $73 from the OWC Specials page before the so-called price reduction.
nohmen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently picked up a Ministack, and the headline kinda made me panic. Thankfully, the pricedrop isn't so much, so I don't feel ripped off. Very Happy
systimax

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone tell me the dif between a my own Sata Drive in usb or firewire enclosure as an external drive compared to having a direct connection to the motherboard via SATA like normal PC or iMacs?

Do you lose speed or bandwidth? Is there any trade off?

thanks
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

systimax wrote:
Can someone tell me the dif between a my own Sata Drive in usb or firewire enclosure as an external drive compared to having a direct connection to the motherboard via SATA like normal PC or iMacs?

Do you lose speed or bandwidth? Is there any trade off?

thanks

USB 2.0 is the slowest of the three and could even slow down your computer since it requires more CPU interaction to do its job.

FireWire 400 is the 2nd best choice if you can use SATA (or PATA) directly. It's slower than USB 2.0 on paper, but in real life (and countless benchmarks) it's faster.

If you can connect your SATA drive directly into a SATA port, it's the best choice. However, as far as I know, Macs don't have a SATA port on them (and if one has, it'll be the Mac Pro, not the Mac mini).

Granted, I've seen a few webpages about people opening up their Mac mini and connecting their external SATA drive directly into the built-in internal SATA connector of the Mac mini, but that's not something a regular user will want to try.
jthawke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: No Real Options Reply with quote

I spent the past couple of days scouring the internet for a "companion" drive for my Mini, and I'm really disappointed to the point of not buying anything now. The ministack seems like a good option, but that weird light in the front and the fact that it's painted plastic that doesn't quite match makes it a no go. The micronet looks good, but it's got lousy drives in it and apparently doesn't sleep well when the mini sleeps. The Lacie is an interesting choice, but again, lousy drives and apparently the fan can be very loud. This really seemed like a great opportunity for SOME company to take hold of, but no one has managed to really "do it right". As always, MHO.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: No Real Options Reply with quote

jthawke wrote:
I spent the past couple of days scouring the internet for a "companion" drive for my Mini, and I'm really disappointed to the point of not buying anything now. The ministack seems like a good option, but that weird light in the front and the fact that it's painted plastic that doesn't quite match makes it a no go. The micronet looks good, but it's got lousy drives in it and apparently doesn't sleep well when the mini sleeps. The Lacie is an interesting choice, but again, lousy drives and apparently the fan can be very loud. This really seemed like a great opportunity for SOME company to take hold of, but no one has managed to really "do it right". As always, MHO.

Are you basing your opinion on the LaCie models fan noise from what you have read, or have you actually heard it for yourself.

I personally have a 160GB LaCie mini with no fan. I like it. I haven't even bothered to look at which hard drive it is using. It doesn't bother me.
jthawke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: LaCie Reply with quote

Bandit -

I am basing it on what I've read. Nearly every post on any site indicates that the drives should be "ultra quiet" but those with a fan appear to be anything but. It's nice to hear that yours is not like that as I've always felt LaCie products have the highest "intention" of quality. How does yours perform? And is the case a good match? I've also read that the back feels "cheap" . . . can you comment?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: LaCie Reply with quote

jthawke wrote:
Bandit -

I am basing it on what I've read. Nearly every post on any site indicates that the drives should be "ultra quiet" but those with a fan appear to be anything but. It's nice to hear that yours is not like that as I've always felt LaCie products have the highest "intention" of quality. How does yours perform? And is the case a good match? I've also read that the back feels "cheap" . . . can you comment?

The LaCie is built like a brick. It matches the mini exactly 100%. I'm sure it is produced from the exact same materials from the exact same company.

It performs well. The back doesn't feel cheap. It again is the exact same quality and match as the Mac mini. Again I would guess that it may be made from the same company.

I would personally have a listen to a LaCie mini before passing judgement.

Also assess your needs. I'm using mine as a boot drive and I have no issues. I live in canada so it is usually running in a temp around 70F or 20C.

Don't get too caught up on negative internet reviews. 123macmini and I both give the LaCie drives a thumbs up and 123macmini has links to the Ministack all over this site. Both are good products. But when it comes to case design the LaCie spanks all competitors. Keep in mind that it is the only design sensible enough to make minimal contact with the mini. If you go with a Ministack plan on using spacers of some sort.
anodyne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I own both ... just recently picked up the Lacie 500GB drive. My miniStack V2's 400GB hard drive failed after ~2.5 months of use (generally on 24/7 but does not function as boot drive), so I picked up the Lacie while the miniStack V2 was in for warranty work.

The Lacie seems better built/has better case .... I like the idea that it's raised a bit off the mini for ventilation and looks/feels higher quality. However, the Lacie's fan is louder than the miniStack V2's, and I need to unmount the drive/turn if off when I sleep (small bungalow). We shall see how reliable it is over time, as I have had Lacie enclosures/FW ports fail on me in the past (not drives though).

I just got the miniStack V2 back and it will function mainly as backup drive, with a couple partitions setup for testing Leopard client/server. I don't know that I can trust it for full-time operation with my Intel Mini. I do appreciate it's quite operation/low fan noise, but not if I must pay a price in reliability. A two year warranty is nice (and hassle-free return), but the process/downtime still blows.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anodyne wrote:
I need to unmount the drive/turn if off when I sleep

Doesn't the LaCie have a thermo regulated smart fan?

What about setting the drive to "put hard disks to sleep when possible". Doesn't that spin the drive down and turn the fan off. The sleep feature is an automatic process when enabled.

p.s. The LaCie has a 2 year warranty in Europe. Don't ask why?
anodyne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
anodyne wrote:
I need to unmount the drive/turn if off when I sleep

Doesn't the LaCie have a thermo regulated smart fan?

What about setting the drive to "put hard disks to sleep when possible". Doesn't that spin the drive down and turn the fan off. The sleep feature is an automatic process when enabled.

p.s. The LaCie has a 2 year warranty in Europe. Don't ask why?

I don't know much about the fan besides it's fairly loud and what the website mentions ..."To maintain the quietest possible temperature control at all times,
it has a “smart fan” with 3 settings that automatically adjust."

My mini is pretty much a server and I don't sleep it (or the drive). It's perfect, just wish I could have a stackable attached drive that's as quite and reliable as the mini itself.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you really have me wondering. How quiet is the LaCie mini in the lowest of the three fan settings, not being used as a server drive in an temp setting of about 20C (average room temp).

I assume you mean the fan is either in low/medium/high speed mode at all times. There is no fan off at any time. It isn't user controllable via software or a dip switch is it?

The Mac mini itself gets pretty loud (relatively) when the fan is blowing full blast.

123macmini reviewed the Lacie mini as one of the quietest units they had every tested.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anodyne wrote:
... My miniStack V2's 400GB hard drive failed after ~2.5 months of use (generally on 24/7 but does not function as boot drive)....

I just got the miniStack V2 back and it will function mainly as backup drive, with a couple partitions setup for testing Leopard client/server. I don't know that I can trust it for full-time operation with my Intel Mini. I do appreciate it's quite operation/low fan noise, but not if I must pay a price in reliability. A two year warranty is nice (and hassle-free return), but the process/downtime still blows.

A certain percentage of drives fail, regardless of brand; you just happened to be the lucky one to get a bad drive. If the drive has been replaced, I wouldn't worry about its reliability any more or less than the one in your LaCie enclosure.
jthawke

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you for the additional information. I will have to see if the local Apple Store has one and would allow me to test it. I am considering using it as a boot drive as well as Apple still doesn't offer a 7200 rpm drive as an internal option. Does anyone know which of the LaCie models (if any) don't even have a fan? This could make a difference. As well, it IS important that when I sleep my mini, the external drive sleep as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: