123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Count me among the upgraders
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wbenham

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Count me among the upgraders Reply with quote

I just upgraded the ram to 2 GB on my mini and am running late for a date with my girlfriend. Cut myself getting the RAM out so so far my blood and sweat have gone into my mini... now i just need to cry at the joy of it all

PS it was the most frightening moment of my life when that loud snap/click happened and it popped free from the case.
TXCiclista

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Count me among the upgraders Reply with quote

wbenham wrote:
PS it was the most frightening moment of my life when that loud snap/click happened and it popped free from the case.

Yeah, I've never had a more stressful experience upgrading a computer. And of course, when I did my RAM upgrade, the Airport card cable popped off the board and I didn't know it until I had already re-assembled. Had to open it up again. Needless to say, by the time I did my wife's Mini, I was an old pro Wink
Mviper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Count me among the upgraders Reply with quote

TXCiclista wrote:
wbenham wrote:

Yeah, I've never had a more stressful experience upgrading a computer. And of course, when I did my RAM upgrade, the Airport card cable popped off the board and I didn't know it until I had already re-assembled. Had to open it up again. Needless to say, by the time I did my wife's Mini, I was an old pro Wink

I have done two upgrades to my Intel Mini.

Upgrade from 1 Gb. to 2GB first, then about a week later HD to a WD 160GB. 5400 RPM drive.
kaidomac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Count me among the upgraders Reply with quote

Congrats, welcome to the club Cool
Cheruman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add me to the list as well. Very Happy I finally summoned up the courage to crack open my brand new mini and upgrade the RAM.

Think I'll go for a lie down...
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Count me among the upgraders Reply with quote

Mviper wrote:
Upgrade from 1 Gb. to 2GB first, then about a week later HD to a WD 160GB. 5400 RPM drive.

After the memory upgrade, did you notice a speed difference across the board, or just with memory-hungry apps?
zedtvl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was not tremendous......
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zedtvl wrote:
It was not tremendous......

Ah. So maybe it would be better to spend money on a faster internal HD to improve overall performance?
zedtvl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe but don't take it wrong, I have no regrets.
I just thought that going from 1gb to 2 would produce a bigger improvement anyway with the rebate from Crucial it was around 76$ to get the 2 gb which was worth it.
Yes a faster internal HD will improve the overall performance I might do it in the future from what I understand it is not as easy as changing the memory.
When I said not tremendous, it is my own experience maybe you will get a different feedback from somebody else.
houltmac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends what you use your machine for. If you don't use 1GB of RAM on a daily basis then adding another 1GB isn't going to help except when you have an extreme day.

Monitor your RAM usage using iStat Pro or something and then make the decision. Without a doubt however, 1GB RAM should be the minimum across the board.
D444niel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from 512mb to 2gb of RAM it made one hell of a difference. Even photoshop runs quick. But as stated above, it all depends on what you are using the machine for.

Too much spec to add here ....
wbenham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was a pretty big difference. I went from 512 to 2gb and it was like I had turbocharged the little guy. I'm waiting to see how much faster it will get once I swap my external HD into the ministack and I can pull movies and music off the internal HD.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D444niel wrote:
I went from 512mb to 2gb of RAM it made one hell of a difference.

wbenham wrote:
I went from 512 to 2gb and it was like I had turbocharged the little guy.

I've already moved from 512Mb to 1Gb (when Ram was expensive Evil or Very Mad) and experienced some of the speed increase that you guys have talked about.
I suppose what I'm trying to ask is: If I spend another £49 (US$100) to go to 2Gb will I get another big speed boost, or have I already gained most of the "turbocharge" with the last upgrade?
bozz_2006

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnyboy, i don't think you'll get near the amount of speed increase you got from the jump from 512 to 1 gb, but the difference is noticeable. the biggest change i noticed is that i don't have to shut down the dashboard and i can keep many internet tabs open at the same time with no lag. also, if you use microsoft office now, that ittsy bittsy little amount of lag in the typing will be gone.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bozz, now i understand exactly what a further upgrade would mean to me. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: