123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Miro Public Preview 1 Released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Miro Public Preview 1 Released Reply with quote

Miro Public Preview 1 Released
Thursday, July 19, 2007
Posted by: Brian

The Participatory Culture Foundation has released the first public beta of Miro, a free open-source desktop video application formerly known as Democracy Player. "This new name, logo, and updated version of the software represents the next evolution of the project. We are hoping to reach even more people and build the open video movement. The software is more polished and stable than ever. The website has been re-designed with more focus on community and outreach. The new name will be less confusing to everyone who thought Democracy Player was only for videos about politics," writes Nicholas Reville of the Participatory Culture Foundation. The software is available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X. The Mac version requires Mac OS X 10.3 or later and QuickTime 7, but some video formats require Mac OS X 10.4 or later.

New features in Public Preview 1 [0.9.8]:
- Keyboard shortcuts on all platforms. This should allow remote controls to be configured to control Miro.
- Improved system tray functionality on Windows, including a context menu.
- Added a new 'report a bug' menu item.
- Adds Veoh.com as a search engine.

Bug fixes:
- Fixed behavior when maximizing on Windows (won't cover up the taskbar).
- Smarter importing and folder watching to avoid adding audio files.
- Removed Yahoo as a search engine, since most results did not link to enclosures.
- Fixed a memory leak.
- Fixed several unicode errors.
- Fixed miscounting of new and unwatched items in folders.
- Minor UI fixes, including name changes to sidebar items and new Miro Guide logo.
- Many other small fixes.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/692.html
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't installed it yet, but I already like the new name better. Laughing
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using it right now. Works, but not for youtube. Still, for the things I search for there are plenty of vids on other sites. Smile (Don't be perverted, I search for tarantulas and stuff like that).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuishimi wrote:
(Don't be perverted, I search for tarantulas and stuff like that).

Maybe not perverted, but twisted. I hate spiders, snakes and reptiles. They give me the creeps. Wink Laughing

I've only been using Democracy for the last few months. It's not as sexy as Joost, but it works great for collecting videos and stuff for my Apple TV. I also agree with Scooper on the new name. The name Democracy may have fit the project, but it wasn't that great for the actual application.
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
Tuishimi wrote:
(Don't be perverted, I search for tarantulas and stuff like that).

Maybe not perverted, but twisted. I hate spiders, snakes and reptiles. They give me the creeps. Wink Laughing

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: