123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing VIDEO_TS DVD archives with AppleTV?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Playing VIDEO_TS DVD archives with AppleTV? Reply with quote

I currently use a Core Duo Mac Mini and Front Row to do multimedia content on my HDTV. It works well and is very versatile.

Now, I want to add a similar capability to a TV in another room, and I'm wondering if I can save some money and do what I need with an AppleTV.

The basics (Music and Pictures) the AppleTV does at least as well as the Mini. But, I also have an archive of DVDs on my file server that I currently play on the Mini via DVD Player.app (or VLC, Mplayer, MythFrontEnd, MediaCentral, etc...).

Does anyone have experience they can share in doing this on the AppleTV? I have read about some plugin apps that seem to allow this - like NitoTV. Is that a good app? Any other options?

Also - I know I can transcode my DVDs into H.264 for playback on the AppleTV, but I would rather stay with my current configuration and add in the AppleTV - rather than changing everything to accommodate the new piece.
xfiring

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NitoTV works for me but I can not setup a share to a windows XP machine (i have no macs). So for now I have to copy all the files over I want to watch. I was not real impressed with it thus far.

I think ATVFiles is better but it doesn't do video_ts yet.
JoshFink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting.. I would like to know about this as well.

Thanks

Josh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: