123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates the Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a GenA owner I'm very pleased with this update. As a potential GenB owner. You should be pleased as well. I know that might sound stupid, but let me explain.

One of the main reasons I bought a Mac is because I wanted a computer that many other people were using the exact same configuration. This is great for support issues. It is also great for software development.

No changes to hardware means Apple made a solid genA system, with no hardware issues. Being that there are no changes. GenB owners can rest assured that their computer has been well beta tested.

I'm very happy I bought a GenA mini when I did, even though it was only a month and a half ago. I would not have waited a month and a half for the added features. I plan on upgrading to 1 GB of RAM and I don't think I'll ever go wireless.

For those of you buying a mini now, congrats on the added value, and welcome to a fantastic computer with a great user group.

p.s. Don't wait for Intel!!! Todays benefits far exceed next years features.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
LouieMacGoo wrote:
The upgrade to watch for is the 3g Mini and I think that it will be introduced at the MacWorld Conference in January of next year with the increased video and the Intel processor running at 2ghz.

Apple has already stated that there will be no Intel Macs before June 2006.

Many times what Apple says and what Apple does are two very different things! theay alway like to keep you guessing!!!!

Besides the timing is right! With the announcement of the switch to Intel at the WWDC the next big thing would be due at MacWorld in January. Time will tell but in January when the NEW Mini is out I will refer back to this thread and say I told you so!!!! Wink If it doesn't show up I will be very quiet! Sad
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:

I suspect that the reason for the lack of a video upgrade is 3-fold:

1. They don't want to retool for a new motherboard before the Intel upgrade.
2. The heat problems. They've already cut the video out levels.
3. Market segmentation. If you want full Core Graphics support you need to upgrade to an eMac or iMac.

Agree 100%. Hope they can fix the heat issues before the Intel systems start to ship. Apple, please don't ship them with integrated Intel graphics! Mad
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no heat issue with the mini. I'd call it more of a user issue. I have no issues with heat. The mini seems to manage heat quite well. I've yet to hear of one overheating.
resuna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo wrote:
Many times what Apple says and what Apple does are two very different things! theay alway like to keep you guessing!

Apple can't just change this schedule. They've got thousands of developers out there working on making sure they have Intel-ready versions of their software by June 2006. They have committed to that deadline, and changing it would mean coordinating with all their developers so that they'll have their software ready early, and getting the developer's own advertising and announcements (which can involve weeks or months of lead time, and penalties for dropped advertising time) into line with the new schedule.

Even *slipping* the release by a month or two would be a big deal. Bringing it up would be a nightmare.

It's certainly possible that Apple is prepared to shaft all their developers twice in six months (first, with the Intel shift, and then again by pulling the rug out from under them in January), but I don't think even Apple is that screwed up.

curt wrote:
Hope they can fix the heat issues before the Intel systems start to ship.

Personally, I hope that the Intel boxes aren't quite as cramped as the mini. It's really TOO small... Steve should have made it big enough to fit a full sized hard drive and ducted cooling.
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a smart move for Apple to add AE and Bluetooth. Wish mine would've come with it. Crying or Very sad It also gives them chance to sell a few more wireless keyboard and mouse sets. A win-win for everyone expect us old Mac mini users.
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
LouieMacGoo wrote:
Many times what Apple says and what Apple does are two very different things! theay alway like to keep you guessing!

Apple can't just change this schedule. They've got thousands of developers out there working on making sure they have Intel-ready versions of their software by June 2006. They have committed to that deadline, and changing it would mean coordinating with all their developers so that they'll have their software ready early, and getting the developer's own advertising and announcements (which can involve weeks or months of lead time, and penalties for dropped advertising time) into line with the new schedule.

Even *slipping* the release by a month or two would be a big deal. Bringing it up would be a nightmare.

It's certainly possible that Apple is prepared to shaft all their developers twice in six months (first, with the Intel shift, and then again by pulling the rug out from under them in January), but I don't think even Apple is that screwed up.

curt wrote:
Hope they can fix the heat issues before the Intel systems start to ship.

Personally, I hope that the Intel boxes aren't quite as cramped as the mini. It's really TOO small... Steve should have made it big enough to fit a full sized hard drive and ducted cooling.

I would not be suprised if a project of this size did slip a month or more. Coming in early is wishful thinking at best.

I hope that there is a "Mac Midi" offering at some point with more memory slots, full size hard drive, and replaceable video card. I don't want an all in one (iMac) and the Power Mac is a bit more than I want to spend on a desktop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
macweenie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: We'll see intel HW at MW-SF Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
Apple has already stated that there will be no Intel Macs before June 2006.

I believe Steve said that Intel HW will be announced and in the customers hands by June '06. That doesn't rule out an announcement of HW at MW-SF.

Personally, I'm one who thinks that we WILL see Intel HW announced at MW-SF.
fullroast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:
I hope that there is a "Mac Midi" offering at some point with more memory slots, full size hard drive, and replaceable video card. I don't want an all in one (iMac) and the Power Mac is a bit more than I want to spend on a desktop.

There was an interesting rumor on ThinkSecret last month about a sub-$1000 desktop coming out after the first of the year.

There is a big gap between the Mac mini and the Power Mac's. It would be great to see a new desktop product in that space (not an All-In-One). Single G5 maybe, better video, a little more expansion.

I'm not sure Apple has plans for any new PPC platforms, but if the project had aleady been started before the PPC to Intel switch, or if it was based on an existing design, it could happen.

Last edited by fullroast on Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
resuna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:

You and me both. I miss the *real* Mac desktops, like the Performa 475. That was a really nice machine to work on, two clips at the back and you had access to everything, and everything was held on with clips so you didn't even need a scredriver. The 7x00 and Beige G3 desktop were pretty nice, too, but probably overkill.

Or...

(looks wistfully over the shoulder at NeXT slab)

macweenie wrote:
That doesn't rule out an announcement of HW at MW-SF.

Hrm. OK, it's possible, I still think there will be massive screaming if he's THAT early.
macweenie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:

Hrm. OK, it's possible, I still think there will be massive screaming if he's THAT early.

The VERY light weight nature of this mini update only re-enforces my belief that we'll see Intel HW at MW-SF.
snowy2005

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macweenie wrote:
resuna wrote:

The VERY light weight nature of this mini update only re-enforces my belief that we'll see Intel HW at MW-SF.

Probably will, but the product it/them selves might not be on sale till later
resuna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macweenie wrote:

Well, that, or they're just leaving room for another easy update (maybe a speed bump... they could take it to 1.50 or 1.58 without changing the MB) in six months.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:

Well, that, or they're just leaving room for another easy update (maybe a speed bump... they could take it to 1.50 or 1.58 without changing the MB) in six months.

You can do that now if you have steady hands and good eyes! Wink
castaway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone called in an order and asked them about hard drive speeds?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: