123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Final TV Question!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Final TV Question! Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for all of their help so far. I bought a TV tonight & will pick up my mini tomorrow. The question I have is for you Plasma screen owners.

I picked up a 42" Philips Plasma Display. I had the guy at Best Buy plug in a computer, so I know that it will display correctly, BUT I know that Plasmas have the "burn-in" thing going for them. I am wondering how much computer use is excessive & will cause burn in. I plan on using it for several hours a day as a computer. I'm not so worried about the actual apps, as I will switch between several, but I am a bit concerned about the menu bar. Any tips for a newbie? I know that I'll need to set a screensaver, but any other advice would be great.

Thanks,
Mark
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burn in occurs after long amounts of time, pretty much you wouldn't have to worry if you're a normal computer user, but you might be if you're going to be working on it like it sounds you are. Either way, turn down your brightness as much as you can stand. I'd say you'd be fine with that.

Here's a nice guide I happened upon: PlasmaTVBuyingGuide.com
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Philips

Quote:
Disadvantages

Plasma TVs are not available in screen sizes smaller than 32”, so they might not be your first choice when looking for a smaller set for a kitchen or den.

The gases that spur the light-producing chemical reaction in plasma sets expire over time, typically after about 25,000 hours (and unlike the myth, there is no re-filling or re-charging required for a plasma TV). These same gases make plasmas susceptible to image burn-in, where overly bright images, like station logos and icons, can become etched into the screen. Burn-in can usually be avoided by maintaining a moderate brightness setting. Many plasma TVs come with burn-in discouraging features—like Philips’ APAC—that help to diminish the risk.

Yes there is a chance but it has been greatly reduced.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: