123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plastic crud on my burnt CD's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Plastic crud on my burnt CD's Reply with quote

I've only burnt a few CD's and used very few CD/DVD's in my mini since new (1 1/2 months). However immediately after burning a CD I noticed what I thought was a large scratch on the bottom surface of the CD. I thought maybe I scratched it on the aluminum portion of the slot drive when I removed it from the drive. I later burnt another CD and I noticed the same thing. I had to rub fairly hard but I was able to remove the blemish. It looked just like the first one. It was about 1 - 1 1/2 inches long by about 1/4" wide. It felt like plastic coated to the disk.

I'm using Memorex CD's which I use in my PC (tray loading burner). I've never had this is issue burning on my PC.

I'm thinking maybe the disk is still hot from the burn and a plastic coating from the disk itself is smearing.
Is there a way to stop the disk from auto ejecting upon completing a burn to give it time to cool down?
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on your burn software...My computer has Nero 6 and it gives the option to auto-eject the cd at completion. I don't know if Nero works on Mac's, but if it does, you should get it, it's a great app.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly burning out of iTunes and iPhoto. I poked around in the preferences and couldn't find anything.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you play a CD/DVD does it come out scratched or only when you burn? If so, you might want to consider opening your case and inspecting the drive and those felt pads. I noticed something a few months ago. Don't try this! If you press down on the top when your playing a CD/DVD you'll hear it hit the disk. I'd pop it open and make sure things are lined up right and take it from there.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never noticed it with just inserting normal CD's.

It really appears to be a plastic smear. I'm almost certain it's due to heat after a burn and the felt smearing the plastic upon eject.

After a burnt a CD and cleaned all the cruddy smear off. I inserted and ejected the CD multiple times with no effect to the CD surface.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have a build up of crap on those silver felt pads. That's why I would open the case and inspect them. You could get a damp cloth "not a paper towel" and rub back and forth on those pads a little to clean them. You could try another brand of blank disk. That's about all I can think of trying. Confused
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. An inspection is in order. Even though I've only burnt around 3-4 CD's so far. I'll try another brand as well.

I plan on getting an external DVD burner soon. LaCie with Litescribe and Toast Titanium likely. I'm going to wait until the new model comes out. They have said on their site that the new model will support faster litescribe burning. I also want 10.4 support out of the box. Hopefully they will make it look better as well.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see Lightscribe in person. Have you seen one burnt with a label?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I'd like to see Lightscribe in person. Have you seen one burnt with a label?

No but there is one in the picture Gallery, I asked how it looks and they never replied.

I've read a comment that it is faint and the person burned it twice to make it dark.
That sounds like nonsense though. There would have to be absolutely no movement in the CD between burns. Also why not just darken your image prior to burning it?
Other than that I've heard it does a really good job.
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Lightscribe was cool at first. Then I realized a sharpie was just as good seeing as I wasn't going to look at it all the time.

If you plan on handing the disks out then it my be worth it, but I think the Inkjet CD printers would be better quality and much faster. Plus you can continue to record while printing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you it's a novelty item. But if you're just printing text I'm sure it wouldn't take too long. Probably quicker than printing a label and sticking it on. Also, there is not chance of throwing the balance of the CD off.

The litescribe feature is a one time purchase (the disks will get cheaper). I have spent quite a bit on felts (I love stationary) that end up drying out/running out. Same with ink jet cartridges and stickers etc. Not everyone has a printer. (I've got 2 but they won't hook up to my Mac, there too old). The litescribe feature takes up no room, and it is very COOL!!!

Even though novelty, I would use it. Especially for gift DVD/CD's.

I don't think I'll buy a printer for the Mac, I'll hook up the old ones to the PC's I never use anymore and network them to the Mac. I just hate all that paper laying around.
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would not I repeat not use it to give away pirated music and software to make it look nicer because we downloaded thru LimeWire, Morpheus or any other downloading software.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Same with ink jet cartridges and stickers etc. Not everyone has a printer. (I've got 2 but they won't hook up to my Mac, there too old). The litescribe feature takes up no room, and it is very COOL!!!

Actually I was talking about the inkjet printers that print directly on the cd's, no labels needed, just the all white cd's that are readily available and cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. You're better off borrowing CD's from the library. You can rip at 320Kb/s AAC that way Wink
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get mine from allofmp3.com so if I ever travel to Russia I will be leagal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: