123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wavy Lines with VGA LCD

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mini_me
New Member
New Member


Joined: 06 Aug 2005
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Wavy Lines with VGA LCD Reply with quote

I have one of the new batch of Mac minis. I also have a Dell 15" flat panel (DELL E153FP) LCD VGA monitors. I'm using the VGA->DVI adapter that Apple provided. The problem: I get what seem like wavy lines of pixels. They can be seen on the desktop, the dock and application windows. They wavy lines don't seem to appear at the edge of drop-down menus. My current setting is 1025x768 @ 60Hz.

I also have the "muddy" looking fonts in the menu bar -- fonts just don't seem smooth or distinct.

What are my options and possible cures? Thanks.

Ed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Posts: 1113
Location: San Ramon, California

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it on another display or send it back and get another one. Your mini could have a bad video card. Doesn't your Dell LCD have a DVI connection?
_________________
1.42GHz Mac mini
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini (2009)
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mini_me
New Member
New Member


Joined: 06 Aug 2005
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Wavy Lines with VGA LCD Reply with quote

This Dell LCD is analog without a DVI port. The "wavy line" problem seems intermittent, since after the computer has been on a while, the display appears normal. I'll need to watch to see at what moment the display gets 'wavy.'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Posts: 1113
Location: San Ramon, California

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check those thumbs screws on the DVI to VGA adapter and make sure they're tight.
_________________
1.42GHz Mac mini
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini (2009)
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 1303
Location: Providence, Rhode Island

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a new Dell? It seems weird that it "warms up" and the problem goes away. Does it ever come back once the monitors been constantly on and it went away?
_________________
Computer Engineer
Junior, Brown University
15" NC8430 HP Laptop
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Posts: 1113
Location: San Ramon, California

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Is this a new Dell? It seems weird that it "warms up" and the problem goes away.


What will happen in the winter! Wink
_________________
1.42GHz Mac mini
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini (2009)
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mini_me
New Member
New Member


Joined: 06 Aug 2005
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Wavy or Flickering Video on Dell LCD Reply with quote

A trip through Apple's support pages turned up a thread on this subject with a solution that seems to work for me. A shop that uses many minis also has the flickering problem and the cure (although a bit cumbersome) is to turn off then back on the monitor -- the flickering goes away. I haven't tracked how long this solution works before the flickering returns, but it certainly beats buying a new monitor.

On a side note: much has been made of the gray-white video output of the mini. While exacting color calibration is needed in the graphics field, off-white should not hamper the majority of mini users. As a fellow closer to 60 than 16, a dimmer screen can often be better for my eyes.

Much has been made of some of the mini's mistakes, but let's keep them in perspective. The mini is Apple's most inexpensive computer, excepting the iPod. This allows people a taste of Apple. Just as you wouldn't buy a VW and complain of its lack of horsepower or storage capacity, you wouldn't get a mini and expect the performance of a G5.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leftplay
Member
Member


Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 61

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Wavy or Flickering Video on Dell LCD Reply with quote

mini_me wrote:
Much has been made of some of the mini's mistakes, but let's keep them in perspective. The mini is Apple's most inexpensive computer, excepting the iPod. This allows people a taste of Apple. Just as you wouldn't buy a VW and complain of its lack of horsepower or storage capacity, you wouldn't get a mini and expect the performance of a G5.


I think that analogy is a bit disingenuous. Perhaps a better question would be how would you feel if you bought a VW and once you got on the freeway noticed the windshield was missing? Hey, you can still drive it fine but it really sucks for those who didn’t bring a pair of goggles.

I think it’s been well documented now that the dim VGA and errant lines seen is in part due to an engineering problem Apple created when they decided to lower the signal voltage of the GPU. This falls squarely on the shoulders of Apple and anyone not feeling so good about having a perfectly good monitor not perform the way it should has a right to feel a bit peeved. If precedent is any indication Apple will only admit or correct this problem after a class-action lawsuit if filled and won.

Love 80% of Apple but wow does the other 20% really piss me off some times.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 1303
Location: Providence, Rhode Island

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wavy or Flickering Video on Dell LCD Reply with quote

leftplay wrote:
Love 80% of Apple but wow does the other 20% really piss me off some times.


Can I get an Amen?
_________________
Computer Engineer
Junior, Brown University
15" NC8430 HP Laptop
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
bubba
Member
Member


Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Posts: 227
Location: Raleigh, NC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this first. Download SwitchResX and see if any different non-standard resolutions fix the problem (1280x1024 @ 57hz fixes my DVI fuzzyness). If this does fix the problem, simply uninstall SwitchResX and your non-standard resolution still stays in the Displays options.

If that doesn't work, try a different DVI->VGA converter (they are like $4 at my local computer store). I've heard of this fixing issues because Apple's converter is a POS.
_________________
Your signature sucks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.