123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils Near Final Mac OS X Leopard
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new Quick Look feature in the Finder. It should come in handy for videos. Is there even a way to view thumbnails of your videos now with an add-on?
garty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
Front Row 2.0 looks like the Apple TV interface now. It might be time to sell my upgraded Apple TV and buy a refurbished mini. I'm still worried that Apple might discontinue the mini and I would rather have another mini.

I'm hoping that the change to FrontRow is more than skin deep and that they are using the same architecture as on the AppleTV to enable plugins to be created.
LostAirman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: 64-bit? Reply with quote

Any word on how the move to 64-bit in Leopard ("Top to bottom," according to Jobs) will affect the Minis?
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garty wrote:
I'm hoping that the change to FrontRow is more than skin deep and that they are using the same architecture as on the AppleTV to enable plugins to be created.

No doubt. A preference pane with more options would be nice too. I have a feeling that it's going to be more of the same though.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Or am I taking it wrong that since it (the G4 Mac Mini) doesn't support Core Image and Core Animation.. it won't support the eye candy of those apps. Or not even run some of them?

I think Ben_tex is right about Core Image and Animation. You might still be able to run the apps, but you wont get the cool so called "eye candy" that accumulate with the specific application.
But the problem with that, is that some of the apps will be purely based on the eye candy factor for its use. Apps like that video app Jobs was showing on the keynote. Basically everything was Core Animation specific. I'm just saying some apps probably can function fine without the eye candy. But there will be a few apps where the whole app is the eye candy...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were the G4 Mac minis the only Macs sold during that period that weren't Core Image ready? Didn't the iBooks fall short too?
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, all pre-intel computers won't support Core Image or Core Animation, correct?
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinshaw wrote:
Were the G4 Mac minis the only Macs sold during that period that weren't Core Image ready? Didn't the iBooks fall short too?

I'm pretty sure the last few revisions of the iBook supported Core Image.

TyPod wrote:
As far as I know, all pre-intel computers won't support Core Image or Core Animation, correct?

That isn't correct. Core Image was supported with PPC-based Macs. It just depended on their video card.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
That isn't correct. Core Image was supported with PPC-based Macs. It just depended on their video card.

If Core Image isn't supported, what about Core Animation?
JamesE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everything they have shown is great and Im really exited about 10.5 now. The new Finder looks great but I doubt that I'll use cover flow that much, When you scroll fast you have to wait for everything to "catch up" and it really spoils using it. Time Machine, WOW can't wait for that.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
The new Finder looks great but I doubt that I'll use cover flow that much, When you scroll fast you have to wait for everything to "catch up" and it really spoils using it. Time Machine, WOW can't wait for that

I know what you are saying, and that's just with album art. If you notice, when Steve demos it during the keynote, they are playing catch up. I would assume he using the most powerful Mac on the planet too.

I'm looking very forward to having the extra safety net Time Machine will provide.
iLife's a Bitch!
JamesE

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt he's using a super fast Mac, Imagine what it would be like on our lowly Mini's. Maybe some caching/indexing is done when spotlight does it thing to speed it up a little, Or maybe not eh.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
aquaman wrote:

If Core Image isn't supported, what about Core Animation?
Apple wrote:
Core Animation takes advantage of the multiple cores in most new Intel-based Mac computers. When developers use the framework for an application, the process runs in its own thread. On a multicore Mac, that means the application runs on one core, and Core Animation runs on the other. Core Animation runs on any Core Image-capable Mac (including most Mac systems shipped in the past two years).

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to hear from Apple, thanks for the info SOCOM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: