123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WWDC 2007 Predictions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: mmhmmmmm Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
I agree with Aquaman except the free .Mac idea, improved yes, free no.

How about both? New features for the pay service, but also basic .Mac email now for free.

Justify a paid version other than 1GB online storage and backup software. About 2GB standard since otherwise you're better off with a FREE gmail account and gdisk.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: mmhmmmmm Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
iMav wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
I agree with Aquaman except the free .Mac idea, improved yes, free no.

How about both? New features for the pay service, but also basic .Mac email now for free.

Justify a paid version other than 1GB online storage and backup software. About 2GB standard since otherwise you're better off with a FREE gmail account and gdisk.

I think they should at least match Google (Gmail) on mail for free, then charge extra for more space or other options.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: mmhmmmmm Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I think they should at least match Google (Gmail) on mail for free, then charge extra for more space or other options.

Exactly.

Although with Apple's new partnership with Yahoo for "push" email for the iPhone, they may be reluctant to provide competition in the free email arena.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can agree with that. A free email service seems like a no brainer. What better way to promote your name and keep people attached to it. At this point I'm more attached to my email address than my phone number.
wizard69

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Predictions you ask for. So be it.

1. A low cost expandable Mac is announced.
2. The Min gets upgraded. I'm not convinced but I really would like to see the Mini continue.
3. The next OS release covered in detail.
4. The next OS will be the last to support PPC.
5. New iPods.
6. New iMacs. These will be enhanced by a move away from notebook parts. (wishful thinking) Possibly a quad core iMac. This quad optimized for power not speed.
7. Announcements of new hardware initiatives with Intel. Possibly including SoC hardware, maybe even in the Mini's replacement/upgrade.
8. Official support announced for Eclipse.
9. Official support for Python expanded.
10. Vastly improved drivers for GPU's in the coming OS.
11. Rapid development tools. Again wishful thinking but I'd like to see Apple lead with a software platform that enables very rapid application development.
12. Kernel improvements include better support for multiprocessors and fewer global locks.

Dave
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really hoping for some new displays, it makes sense for Apple to consolidate and make a 24" display. If so, I got the $900 burning a hole in my pocket!

I think the mini is going to stay but is going to get a redesign/spec bumps. It is a necessary part of the line and is going to stay.

20" iMac will drop down a couple hundred and the 17" will only be available for educational ventures.

Leopard and iPhone announcements as well as dev tools for both.

I am putting in a negative for new aluminum iMacs, it seems like wishful thinking. Maybe a newly designed plastic one that gets rid of the chin, but no aluminum.

-jb
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
johnodd4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My predictions are that iwork 07 and ilife 07 will be released after the keynote by steve jobs. Or a new and unexpected view of leopard with some new tools for users to enjoy who are currently beta testing leopard.

I would like to see what they have had encomplished with leopard. Weather it will run with more memory then 2 gigs which would be awesome.
And we are all praying a much bigger hard drive with the option of a 1 terahertz drive for mac mini user's.

Because lets face it 500 gigs only gets you so far look at all the mac apps that take tons of space.

After installing.

Logic pro

Logic express

Aperture

Iwork

Ilife

Microsoft office

Mac os x system updates

Almost 100 gigs of space goes missing.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnodd4 wrote:
Weather it will run with more memory then 2 gigs which would be awesome.
How would this be new? Tiger can run with a lot more than 2GB. Just ask any Mac Pro user with a machine configured all the way up to 16GB.
johnodd4 wrote:
And we are all praying a much bigger hard drive with the option of a 1 terahertz drive for mac mini user's.
Last I checked, hard drives were measured in bytes, not hertz. As for 1TB drives, they're available, but only in 3.5" configurations, not the 2.5" that the Mac Mini uses. You can pray all you want, but you're not going to see 1TB drives in a Mini at WWDC, unless the Mini is changed to a 3.5" form factor, and Apple can source enough 1TB drives from Hitachi.
lumberjack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recent rumours regardind the dropping of the Mini and 17" will now be hurting Apple's desktop sales. Whilst Apple never disclose dates for changes to existing products, it is a guess, but when stocks of current Mini processors dry up, Apple is likely to either pull the plug altogether of offer a short production run with faster chip speeds, until say October or late Autumn.

It is most likely that any replacement small desktop machine will include compatibility with the iPhone and other features that will be included in Leopard. It would be unwise to speculate on the chipset arrangement for any future small desktop machine but there will certainly be clear water between a new low end machine and the larger 'Pro' range.

It is therefore predicted that by Wednesday of next week, there will be a new Mini on my desk, unless there is something new announced at WWDC. I will go for the 1.66 GHz model and then hunt for a T7200 replacement chip and 2GB of ram, after a couple of months.

Reason... the Power PC is throwing out too much noise and heat and Summer is coming. Has anyone tried disconnecting the fans ?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnodd4 wrote:
Microsoft office.

They may have one of their "friends" from Microsoft come up and give the details on a Universal Office.
spreaderb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about an annoucement that all purchased macs after WWDC get a free upgrade to leopard
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spreaderb wrote:
What about an annoucement that all purchased macs after WWDC get a free upgrade to leopard

I'm not personally in the market for a new Mac, but I think the people that are would find it to be the best news of all.
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are some good predictions. I am not really expecting any announcements and mostly just more demoing of the iPhone, Leopard and stuff like that.

Anyone have any guesses as to how much service will cost for an iPhone? With all the features, it is sort of scary. But then I am cheap. I recently got my wife the TEXT package for her current phone and then I whine when she goes over on her limits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
4. New iMacs

I hope so. I want to see some new hardware changes. Though I like the current iMac, a new look would really hit the spot.
johnodd4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: wow!!!! Reply with quote

Apple Has Posted on there web page that attendes at wwdc will receive a full featured beta of leopard not the garbage betas that have been floating around the internet.

Interresting... And your right the mac pro towers support more ram but i dont have 2,000 dollers for a pro tower so i would rather have 4 gigs or better in my mini.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: