123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parallels Desktop 3 Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I can't wait to try out Parallels, VM or Apple's solution when I get an Intel Mac. I'm so behind the curve on this technology. Mad

Huh. For some reason, I thought you had made the plunge already. I am amazed at your patience!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
Huh. For some reason, I thought you had made the plunge already. I am amazed at your patience!!

I am too! Laughing

I skipped the first round of Intel hardware because of the dreaded "Apple Revision A Syndrome". All of those reported MacBook problems only cemented that more in my mind. Then I decided to wait for Leopard and a Mac mini update. I never imagined they would slip this far. On the bright side, I've been able to put more money aside. Oh yeah, I bought an Apple TV too. I guess that counts for something Intel. Rolling Eyes

Back on topic for a second. Is anyone here actually using VMWare's Fusion?
iLife's a Bitch!
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I skipped the first round of Intel hardware because of the dreaded "Apple Revision A Syndrome". All of those reported MacBook problems only cemented that more in my mind. Then I decided to wait for Leopard and a Mac mini update. I never imagined they would slip this far. On the bright side, I've been able to put more money aside. Oh yeah, I bought an Apple TV too. I guess that counts for something Intel. Rolling Eyes

I REALLY want a disgustingly over-spec'ed Mac Pro when I get back home. I am working on getting a job that allows me to telecommute 100% of the time. If that pans out, it will be a done deal. But, if I am commuting for work, I likely won't be spending enough time IN my home office to justify it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
qrayg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparkstack wrote:
qrayg wrote:
I really liked Parallels, at first. Then they released a major update and you couldn't start a BootCamp as a VM when you have a USB FAT32 disc mounted. You have to eject the disc and then start the VM.

Now they released 3.0 and my paid and trial activation keys don't work. Plus, 3.0 converts your old VM's to work with the new Beta and you can't go back. So, I can't use my VM's anymore because Parallels won't accept my activations keys and I can't use the VM's with an older version.

I've lost all respect for this app so I'm sticking with BootCamp.

Hang on, i'll get you a tissue...

Imagine my surprise when Microsoft updated Windows and my Windows 98 serial number didn't work with Windows XP... Rolling Eyes

Seriously. Get over yourself. You need to pay an upgrade fee to use version 3.0. It's been made quite clear by Parallels that this is the case. So why did you think that this didn't apply to you??

Failure to follow the rules burned you; Not Parallels. Probably because you failed to read this:

Quote:
IMPORTANT!!! IMPORTANT!!! IMPORTANT!!!
Got your attention? Good.

If you're going to try out the trial of Parallels Desktop 3.0, make sure to back up your virtual machine BEFORE installing the trial. Why? To add Snapshot functionality, Parallels has to change the way your virtual hard drive is set up. This process is fast (it takes about 5 seconds) and won't make you lose any apps or data, but it is NOT REVERSIBLE. Chances are you'll love 3.0 and want to stick with it, but if for any reason you want to go back to build 3188, you'll need to use that backed-up copy, because the 3.0-ready VM won't work with it.

EDIT

It even tells you this when you fire up the installer... Rolling Eyes

I paid for a 3.0 serial and before that I tried 3 different 3.0 activation keys sent to me by Parallels. I followed the rules and their POA software didn't work.

Why do you have to be such an @ss? You could try and help people instead of just trying to flame. Now you just look like a complete moron.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 3.0 up and running I don't see any noticeable changes. It took about an hour to get xp and vista updated, parallel tools reinstalled, and such. I'm not sure what the PCI Bridge thing is it was trying to install, but it wasn't successful. I don't know what this "snapshot" option is either. Also I can't get the favorites thing to work. Supposedly it will launch apps from a alias from my OSX desktop. Or something along that line.

Can anyone shed some light on these for me?
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I paid the upgrade fee two days ago, for the download version. The instructions I got with the confirmation email were "... you will receive an email with download instructions the day it is released." I haven't received this yet, but I assume it will come today.

Odd. My email appeared pretty much instantaneously after I paid for the upgrade. I would check your spam filters / junk mail.
islandsnow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i asked this earlier, but someone mention to just go to the normal download. i'm assuming that person meant download the trial of 3.0? will my recently bought parallels reg code work on that? or do i need to call them for a link to the update?
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qrayg wrote:

I paid for a 3.0 serial and before that I tried 3 different 3.0 activation keys sent to me by Parallels. I followed the rules and their POA software didn't work.

No you didn't. You didn't make a backup copy of your VM's, as you were told to do multiple times. Then you cry like a baby because you can't use your VM's with the old version. Laughing

qrayg wrote:

Why do you have to be such an @ss? You could try and help people instead of just trying to flame. Now you just look like a complete moron.

Thats funny. Me a moron. Think about that for a while as your rebuilding your VM's from scratch...

I Just checked and I look the same as I normally do. As for not helping people, dry your eye's and read a bit further down this thread.
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

islandsnow wrote:
i asked this earlier, but someone mention to just go to the normal download. i'm assuming that person meant download the trial of 3.0? will my recently bought parallels reg code work on that? or do i need to call them for a link to the update?

The download at the regular download page here is the 3.0 version. Download it, run it and enter your serial number.

Don't forget to make a backup copy of your VM's first. (It will ask you if you have done, but some people choose to ignore it and then whine about it after the fact)
islandsnow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks, i'll try that.... and backing up the vm's is just a matter of copying that entire folder? i think it was in libraries or where it stores the vm's?

Sparkstack wrote:
islandsnow wrote:

The download at the regular download page here is the 3.0 version. Download it, run it and enter your serial number.

Don't forget to make a backup copy of your VM's first. (It will ask you if you have done, but some people choose to ignore it and then whine about it after the fact)
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

islandsnow wrote:
ok thanks, i'll try that.... and backing up the vm's is just a matter of copying that entire folder? i think it was in libraries or where it stores the vm's?

Yes. Just make a copy the parallels folder that has your VM's in it. (the default location for this folder is in your documents folder, i think)
qrayg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparkstack wrote:
No you didn't. You didn't make a backup copy of your VM's, as you were told to do multiple times. Then you cry like a baby because you can't use your VM's with the old version. Laughing

Thats funny. Me a moron. Think about that for a while as your rebuilding your VM's from scratch...

I Just checked and I look the same as I normally do. As for not helping people, dry your eye's and read a bit further down this thread.

Actually... I never said I didn't make any backups. I have incremental backups from a few days ago. No big deal there. I can easily get my VM's back, it's just that I can't download any previous version of Parallels so it's pointless anyway.

It doesn't matter anyway. Parallels admitted to the problem and refunded my money. So, by them admitting to the problem I'm the one at fault? Great logic there, son. I wasn't crying, I was just posting my experience. A lot of the same problems that MacRumors.com posters were getting too.

You still sound like an uneducated @ss. Nothing will change that unless you go back and edit your original replies.

And none of this changes the fact that this software is way not ready for public use.
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qrayg wrote:

Actually... I never said I didn't make any backups. I have incremental backups from a few days ago. No big deal there. I can easily get my VM's back, it's just that I can't download any previous version of Parallels so it's pointless anyway.

So not only didn't you follow the instructions, you also deleted your copy of version 2.x, which you paid for? Your dumber than I originally thought.

Funny thing is, at the top of this thread you said:
qrayg wrote:
I can't use the VM's with an older version.

So either you was lying then when you said you couldn't go back to your old VM's, or your lying now when you suddenly announce that you had made a copy.... But either way your still a dumb ass because you apparently deleted your bought and paid for version 2...

qrayg wrote:
Parallels admitted to the problem and refunded my money. So, by them admitting to the problem I'm the one at fault?

If by problem you mean they shouldn't have sold this to you because you are an idiot, then yes, you are at fault.

qrayg wrote:
And none of this changes the fact that this software is way not ready for public use.

I think your in the minority there buddy. What with all the rave reviews this program has been getting since release. But then you appear to be in a world of your own anyway..

qrayg wrote:
You still sound like an uneducated @ss.

At least I can RTFM.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I need to separate you two? Don't make me turn this car around.

Seriously though, chalk it up to different experiences, different expectations, and different opinions. You two are acting like a bunch of internet tough guys, and need to relax. Don't turn this forum in to your own personal flame war. Take it to PMs if you need to insult each other.
heavy_nutz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
Do I need to separate you two? Don't make me turn this car around.

Seriously though, chalk it up to different experiences, different expectations, and different opinions. You two are acting like a bunch of internet tough guys, and need to relax. Don't turn this forum in to your own personal flame war. Take it to PMs if you need to insult each other.

Haha Nice post Dad Wink Razz
Top 25 Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: