123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PS1 Emulator & Controllers W/ My Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalManiac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: PS1 Emulator & Controllers W/ My Mini Reply with quote

I inherited (literally, unfortunately) a bunch of Playstation 1 games and controllers. Is there an emulator out there so I could use these legitimate (not pirated roms) games on my CoreDuo Mini?

If not, no sweat. I could always buy a PS1 on eBay for nothing.

What I'd like more is a way to use the controllers with my Mini. One of them is a big, awesome arcade-style controller (like they tore the joystick and button panel off a stand up machine). I've seen PS1 to USB adapters but they only say they're PC compatible. Anybody know of any mac-friendly adapters?

Thanks!
johnodd4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.

There is a emulator...

No i cannot tell you ...

why it uses illegal bios roms to boot..
MetalManiac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnodd4 wrote:
yes.

There is a emulator...

No i cannot tell you ...

why it uses illegal bios roms to boot..

I see. So no app that can run my purchased PS1 discs? Fair enough, don't wanna get anyone in trouble.

But no suggestions for a PS1 controller=>USB adapter? This controller is really awesome and I'd love to use it for the various "classic arcade" games available for the mac. Maybe I'll just get one of the many on Amazon and return it if it doesn't work.
ArsenicPants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

although using the Bios file IS illegal, using the client that uses it is not
although games won't run without the bios

i've had some success with PCSX
http://pcsx.gpost.dk/

the bios is still out there on the net somewhere, though
searching for it on google might help

if i were you though, i'd just buy a real playstation
i bought a used PS1 (the second generation one, much smaller) at a thrift store for $10
elviswjr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used several emulators on my PC for many platforms: N64, GameBoy (color, advance, DS), NES, SNES, PS1, and Sega Genesis. Haven't had much luck with PS2, GameCube, or Wii. So far I haven't looked for any for Mac but if you're going to do emulation I would suggest using a PC. There are probably more emulators written and developed for it.

As for the controller, I didn't even try to use an original PSX controller. Just get a PC gamepad. The one I have has almost the same buttons as the PS1 and I can also use it with the other emulators. If you have a Wii, you can also download an application to configure the remote and use it as a controller (or pointing device). Check out my video (along with many others) for a demonstration.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPQe9I0x5wk

Getting the bios is the hard part. I have heard that you can somehow rip the bios from the console but I'm pretty sure downloading it from the internet is illegal.
sanakan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are tons of usb adapters for playstation pads - usb beeing standardized there should be no problem using any of them ( mine is way up the attic so i can't confirm right now - but so far it worked everywhere : windows , debian , gentoo ... )

that wiimote thing rules - i want one Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: