123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Briefly: YouTube videos coming to Apple TV in June [Updated]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Briefly: YouTube videos coming to Apple TV in June [Updated] Reply with quote

Briefly: YouTube videos coming to Apple TV in June [Updated:]
Wednesday, April 30, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

During today's D5 conference interview with Walt Mossberg, Steve Jobs announced that Apple will be offering a free software upgrade in June that will allow Apple TV users to view YouTube videos. "So what we're going to do today is introduce something really cool. People want to buy a lot of video... wouldn't it be great if you could see YouTube on your Apple TV... it's available as a free software upgrade available in a few weeks. Normally I wouldn't announce it early, but hey, it's D." You can read the rest of Walt Mossberg's interview with Steve Jobs at the D5 conference here.

[Update:] Apple today also announced that it is offering a new Apple TV build-to-order option with a 160GB hard drive. The new larger hard drive offers four times the storage for up to 200 hours of video, 36,000 songs, 25,000 photos or a combination of each. Apple TV with a 160GB hard drive will be available tomorrow for a suggested retail price of $399.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/658.html

Last edited by admin on Wed May 30, 2007 4:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy about this. I just hope they add the ability to stream photos in the update too.
iLife's a Bitch!
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the party Apple. I've had YouTube videos on MediaCentral for like the last year. Razz Wink
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sort of bummed out about buying the 40GB model now. I wish Apple had offered the 160GB option to begin with. Having only 32GB of actual free space is laughable. Me iPod has more than that. I also would have saved a few bucks and kept my warranty in tact instead of doing the upgrade on my own. That being said, I learned a lot in the process. Win some, lose some.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Walt Mossberg on Apple's payroll? Razz
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelSpinners wrote:
Isn't Walt Mossberg on Apple's payroll? Razz

Or in Steve Jobs' little black book.
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be interested in buying an Apple TV at a lower price. Maybe like around $199 for the 40GB model and $249 for 160GB model. I don't see a whole lot of value in them now. I would almost rather have something like the Xbox 360 Elite for just a little more money. I'm not saying it's a great deal either, but it definitely provides more entertainment and higher video quality video.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but it doesn't look you'll be able to browse or search all of the YouTube videos on your own. It looks like these will just be the most popular videos in different categories that Apple encodes for the Apple TV. Right? I think it would take the first way (being able to browse all of YouTube) for me to get excited about this.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
I could be wrong, but it doesn't look you'll be able to browse or search all of the YouTube videos on your own. It looks like these will just be the most popular videos in different categories that Apple encodes for the Apple TV. Right? I think it would take the first way (being able to browse all of YouTube) for me to get excited about this.

Right now that seems to be the case, but once YouTube encodes their entire library as H.264, it should all be available. Any newly submitted videos should automatically be H.264 from here on out.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
Right now that seems to be the case, but once YouTube encodes their entire library as H.264, it should all be available. Any newly submitted videos should automatically be H.264 from here on out.

That's what I thinking. Although, the tour (didn't see it before) shows search and log in options. So I bet you're right about more videos coming after they get encoded. A full YouTube would be quite entertaining.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is cool, but I'm still waiting for more info on the SlingCatcher to come out. Wink
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this increases the quality of the video encoding on YouTube, I'm for it!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
If this increases the quality of the video encoding on YouTube, I'm for it!

I think that will always depend on the quality of the original source. YouTube should probably go a little easier on that recompression now that they have Google money. That might help more than anything.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watch current YouTube videos on my HDTV using the browser on my Wii. While the quality is mostly awful, you get used to it. Hopefully the h.264 will be available to everyone, not just AppleTV owners.

Before it came out, I was hot to buy an Apple TV. Now I'm just waiting for it to catch up, or get close to, the Wii's functionality. I think it will, in time, and someday I'm sure I'll be a proud owner.

Smile

Jamie
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never uploaded a single thing to YouTube. But let's say they encode the videos to H.264 before recompressing them to Flash. They could then offer the video in both formats. That would definitely help with quality. But again, I don't know much about the uploading process or requirements. I might need to look into that sometime. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: