123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20" Cinema Display or Dell 2005FPW
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyzard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: 20" Cinema Display or Dell 2005FPW Reply with quote

Was going to go to an Apple Store today and get a 20" Cinema display ($699 with student discount), but now see the Dell 2005FPW on sale for what in essence will be a $200 difference.

What to do?? Get the Dell now or stick with my original plan and get the Cinema display.

Please help me out with some input. Leaving early morning to visit relatives and the Apple store is near there.....

Thanks.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: 20" Cinema Display or Dell 2005FPW Reply with quote

wyzard wrote:
Was going to go to an Apple Store today and get a 20" Cinema display ($699 with student discount), but now see the Dell 2005FPW on sale for what in essence will be a $200 difference.

What to do?? Get the Dell now or stick with my original plan and get the Cinema display.

Please help me out with some input. Leaving early morning to visit relatives and the Apple store is near there.....

Thanks.

If you search around the site, there have been many discussions about this. If you're strapped for cash or want the Dell's extra features, go for it. If you find the extra perceived value of owning an ADC, then buy it. Quality is the same, performance is the same. Pretty much the only difference is features, price, and the warranty (3 for Dell, 1 for Apple).

Personally, I would want the ADC just because it looks pretty, though I would buy the Dell because of the USB hub as well as the extra inputs and PIP.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: 20" Cinema Display or Dell 2005FPW Reply with quote

wyzard wrote:

Would you be happy with the Dell?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 20" Cinema Display or Dell 2005FPW Reply with quote

wyzard wrote:

Thanks.

They both have the same native resolution. The Dell offers more options for placement and height adjustments, but wont match the aesthetics of you Apple products as well. The Apple has fewer options for placement, but has a much greater aesthetic appeal. The Dell will probably run a few degrees cooler than the Apple, due to better ventilation. In the end, either will do a fine job as a monitor. Perhaps, you could use the $200.00 saved for some software, such as Microsoft Office for Students?
danny_w

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$200 difference? Try $310 difference from the student price, or $410 difference from the standard price (the 2005fpw is currently $389 with coupons). For that much money, it is no contest. I am perfectly happy with my 2005fpw.
wyzard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you find the coupons at??

Which coupon are you talking about?

Thanks.
danny_w

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coupon codes are available at slickdeals.net or dealmac.com, and probably also several other places. They are generally good for a certain timeframe or until xxx number of uses, so when you see them you have to jump on it. Also, I understand that these codes usually only work at the US Dell store.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll point you to this thread which outlines how the 2005FPW is currently $389, though I am not sure if that includes shipping.

[H]ard|Forum
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure would be hard to justify a new LCD at this point...But I would LOVE to have that Dell. (the 24" would be REALLY sweet!!)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
slickrick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dudes 24" for $803.00. I'm very tempted to order!

Lowest price! Dell 2405FPW (24”) flat panel 12ms response, 1920x1200, 1000:1 contrast originally $1199, for $803.33 free shipping after 33% off
Code: ?TN8?M3G6JB5FK Exp Tu 7/26 5:59am CT or after 6000 uses
castufari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have roughly 170 Dell LCDs under my care, they've all served me well. I'd not opt for the super cheap LCDs...spend a little more and get a decent product. I love the Apple monitors but they come with too much of a premium for me. I do wish someone (besides LG or NEC) would create a white display.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Sony have a white one? Confused .....have to go look.
wyzard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input everyone...

I picked up an Apple 20" Cinema Display at the Apple store today....

I'l post some pics of my set up once I get everything together.

Thanks again.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What pisses me off about LCD monitors is that I've been running UXGA on my laptop (1600x1200) and it's only a 15" screen. That resolution is about the same size for the 2005FPW. I'm going to have all that extra room and basically lose screen real estate? My parents will be buying me an LCD for my Mini come late August when I go off to Brown and I really want the 2005FPW, but I like having such a high pixel density.

Hopefully you won't feel this same way with your nice new ACD...
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's up with the 17" widescreen in the Powerbook. Is that screen being used in other 17" monitors. How good is it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: