123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rumor: Mac Mini To Be Discontinued?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilkn2n

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for a price drop on the Merom T7200- 7600 upgrade.
These will be in high demand if Apple doesn't come out with a Santa Rosa Mini.
rcase5

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Apple is their own worst enemy Reply with quote

I've been a fan of Apple since way back when (since the days of the Apple II), so I've been following them for a long time. Jobs has always been pointing the finger at someone else as who the enemy of Apple is. First it was IBM. Then they seemed to kinda acknowledge the enemy was Microsoft, even though they are still in bed with them.

But the truth is that Apple (and Jobs in particular) is their own worst enemy. Credit where credit is due; Jobs is always at the forefront looking for the next great thing. He (and Apple by extension) have the unfortunate habit of discontinuing great products; products that could enhance their stance in the industry.

They did it with the Apple II. Imagine how long the Apple II would have lasted if they had just put the energy into that they should have.

I've been salivating since I first saw the Mac Mini last year. I plan on buying one. My other half bought one a couple of months ago, and loves it. Apple has a great thing going. But in typical Apple fashion, they throw it in the trash because they see it as "ho-hum".

I don't want an iMac, because I don't see why I should have that ridiculous screen attached to my computer. I already have a perfectly good screen. And the Mac Pro is WAY more computer than I need.

I guess I should hurry up and buy one!
jedaffra

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to say that this news (if true) sucks.

Hey, up yours iPhone Evil or Very Mad

I really wanted Leopard on a Core2Duo mini this fall ... Crying or Very sad
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPod mini -> iPod nano

Mac mini -> Mac nano? (AppleTV?)

BYODKMO (Bring your own Display, Keyboard, Mouse, Optical drive) Wink

Remember that "tech support only" USB 2.0 port? Shocked

I should throw a "Bring your own USB 2.0 hub" into that...

What's sad is that the AppleTV has a better GPU than the Mac mini and MacBook. Confused
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: ?! Reply with quote

This can't be true... unless as others have speculated they introduce a replacement. I might be up for something like that, but I really like my mini and if they do not replace it then I guess I will hang onto this one for awhile, at least until they stop supporting it. Sad

But I too would be up for a cube-sized machine that wasn't priced in the $2000 range Rolling Eyes .

...but I've hacked my mini up enough that it should be usable for a couple of years. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Eldred wrote:
When I replace my huge, heavy Power Mac G5 I want something that'll use the display I have, and something not too big. Today that's probably a Mini. Maybe that's true tomorrow, or maybe they have something even better.

I had one of those in my office, and I never liked it. It had some designer elements, but it was big and clunky and frequently noisy, and not particularly fast either. My intent was to replace it with ... a mini. I waited for the Intel upgrade, and when they didn't go core 2 duo, I ended up with a 20" iMac. But I was really ready to go mini, and I'm still waiting to replace another Mac with the next mini upgrade or whatever replaces it.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the rumors of dropping the 17" iMac are also true, it would mean a huge gap in pricing, making the MacBook the cheapest Mac available. That doesn't really fit in line with their iPod offerings which has one of the cheapest brand-name MP3 player on the market, iPod shuffle.

On the other hand, we always complained about the Mac mini costing too much because it used laptop parts, etc. What if they replaced the Mac mini with something a bit bigger and with the specs of the 17" iMac?

How about a real GPU with dedicated RAM and a 3.5" drive inside a new Mac mini about twice as high? How about the size of the AppleTV with the thickness of the Mac mini? They could still sell it at 799$US since a 3.5" hard drive costs less than a 2.5" one. I, for one, would be happy with such a beast depending on the price. Starcraft 2 looks like it will require a decent GPU. Wink

In any case, it's strange to see rumors of both the Mac mini and 17" iMac being discontinued at almost the same time.
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
If the rumors of dropping the 17" iMac are also true, it would mean a huge gap in pricing,

Not necessarily. Perhaps the way to look at it, is not dropping the 17" iMac but upgrading it to 20"WS.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris..S wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:
If the rumors of dropping the 17" iMac are also true, it would mean a huge gap in pricing,

Not necessarily. Perhaps the way to look at it, is not dropping the 17" iMac but upgrading it to 20"WS.

Even so it would make a huge gap in pricing with the Mac mini gone. Apple would go back to their "only rich people can afford a Mac" image.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Even so it would make a huge gap in pricing with the Mac mini gone. Apple would go back to their "only rich people can afford a Mac" image.

Nah. When you really look at it, the iMac is a relatively inexpensive all-in-one computer. Many people might not want that specific type, but you're at least getting a good deal when buying.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:

Nah. When you really look at it, the iMac is a relatively inexpensive all-in-one computer. Many people might not want that specific type, but you're at least getting a good deal when buying.

Entry-level Mac mini: 680$ CAD
Entry-level iMac: 1100$ CAD

The "relatively inexpensive" iMac is still 38% more expensive, not even counting the amount paid for your current display, keyboard and mouse.

As a switcher (bought a Mac mini G4 about a month after it was released), I have to say I would never have switched without the Mac mini.

However, there hasn't been any updates in 260 days and it's still using the Core Duo, so I'm guessing the writing is on the wall.

I'm still hoping Apple will pull an "iPod Mini" and introduce the "Mac nano". Or that mid-range tower "Mac Pro nano" or something. There's no way I'm buying an iMac nor a Mac Pro. And a laptop isn't even an option, they're too big to carry around (and I do have a 12" PowerBook) and too easily stolen/dropped vs a desktop system.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you, I prefer a desktop system WAY more than a portable. If Apple hadn't released the Mac mini, I still would have made the switch with an iMac. Since the iPod mini starred in the product release of the Mac mini, maybe there is a slight chance that it could be following it's footsteps. Either in a good way, or a bad way.
stevenski

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the Mini fills a gap in the Apple desktop line and I'd hate to see it go, unless it's replaced by something similar... But all said and done, it's been a great introduction to Apple computers for this switcher.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been hoping Apple would come out with a headless "Mac" long before the mini was introduced. I wouldn't be sad to see the mini go, just as long as non AIO unit is available and priced substancially lower than a Mac Pro.

Again, this Appleinsider rumor provides no evidence of the mini being discontinued. What new does this aritcal offer that we didn't already know? I can't even believe that this particular rumor is getting so much attention with no additional evidence.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:

I agree with Yvan256. It does seem like Apple is going back to that upscale only image again. I know $600 phones won't help them to break it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: